Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.
View Poll Results: Which Lexfest alternative do you prefer?
I'll only attend one and prefer Lexfest 2006 with Team Lexus at Road Atlanta September 30 & October 1
54.24%
I'll only attend one and prefer Lexfest 2006 at NOPI Nationals September 16 & 17th
16.95%
I would attend BOTH Lexfest w/ Team Lexus and NOPI Nationals Events
20.34%
Regrets: I can't attend either event
8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Lexfest 2006 Atlanta! Please vote on these options

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 07:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Lexfest 2006 Atlanta! Please vote on these options

Please read this post in its entirety before voting

What is Lexfest?
Lexfest is the premier annual East Coast Lexus enthusiast's event. We had the first one last year at the Team Lexus facility (and other nearby spots) in Baltimore, MD and it was a great success with over 175 Lexus vehicles attending and an estimated 350 people throughout the day. For those that didn't make it, here are some links to pictures from the 2005 event:CL picture thread , Rolling shots , Afterthoughts thread , Tony's awesome pics from the meet on My.IS, my.is picture thread . We have an informational registration website (that is still set up for Lexfest 2005) at www.lexfest.net that will be configured for this year’s event as we gather a few more details. Please do not try to register on the site for Lexfest 2006 yet.

The Lexfest event will alternate north to south every year to give all the east-coasters a chance to attend and hopefully as it gets bigger and better each year start a luxury caravan tradition. Last year was 'north' in Baltimore, MD; this year we've selected Atlanta, GA to host the event in the 'south'.

More about Lexfest 2006
We've been working with Team Lexus to plan the Lexfest 2006 event for several months and unfortunately the August date for the event we had been discussing is no longer viable because of a change in their race schedule. The backup date we have is a bit close to one of the other major auto enthusiast east coast events (and one many Lexus enthusiasts in the SE attend) called NOPI Nationals, also held in Atlanta. The Team Lexus race is two weeks after NOPI Nationals and we're concerned that some of the folks that travel to Atlanta for NOPI may not make the trip twice with the dates so close together.

That brings us to the purpose of this poll... the planning team would like to gather member opinions on the date and related events for Lexfest 2006 in Atlanta. We need to choose between having the event in conjunction with Team Lexus during one of their races at the Petit Le Mans OR having Lexfest at one of the largest import car shows in the world, NOPI Nationals.

We still have a number of unknowns on detailed planning for both of these options, but your thoughts will help guide which one we spend more time pursuing.

Option 1) Lexfest 2006 at Petit Le Mans with Team Lexus
Location: Lexus Meet would be at the BBS USA facility on the Road Atlanta property
Date: Saturday, September 30 (with some events the day before and day after)
Cost: Attending at the race itself will be optional, but if you want to go the ticket prices are listed at the bottom of this linked page. They are $45 in advance, $55 at the gate (both including paddock access)(click here)
Informational Links:Event Description: Lexfest at the Petit Le Mans
The actual ALMS Petit Le Mans race and visiting the paddock would be the centerpiece activity of the meet, but we'd set aside plenty of time for meeting with other Lexus owners, checking out their rides, special tours and presentations by Lexus-vendors, etc. BBS USA, a sponsor of Team Lexus has graciously offered use of their Road Atlanta facilities for the Lexfest event.

Event Description (Race Event)
The Petit Le Mans is already shaping up as one of the premier motorsports events in the world. Scheduled for Sept. 27-30, Petit Le Mans will again feature the 1,000-mile/10-hour format that races into the night.
The competition will be terrific, with the Road Atlanta debut of the new Porsche RS Spyder, the exciting new Audi R10 diesel, a stronger Dyson team with the new twin turbo Lola AER, the return of BMW and the addition of the new Lexus.

It will be a coming out party of incredible magnitude – an event you don’t want to miss! The 10-hour, 100-mile American Le Mans Series race is set for Saturday, Sept. 30, following three days of practice, qualifying and support races including SCCA Speed World Challenge Touring and GT, Panoz GT Pro Series, new IMSA Lites, Star Mazda and IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge.

It’ll be a family festival type event! Don’t forget the Autograph Party in the Paddock, or the Grid Walk. Remember: every ticket includes Free Paddock access so you can see the cars up close. Kids 12 and under are free with a paid adult admission. Bring a picnic or camp all weekend.
Pros for Lexfest at Petit Le Mans
Lexus-exclusive events at the BBS facility and other locations
Get to see new race-prepped IS350 and other cool cars in race setting
Team Lexus and Lexus Corp maximum participation
Lexus-specific vendor participation and demonstrations
Frees up Sunday for secondary events (whereas the NOPI show is a 2-day event which continues on Sunday)
Cons for Lexfest at Petit Le Mans
Difficult for those traveling to attend NOPI Nationals to do both events
Lesser variety of 'things to do' during the day compared to NOPI
(Optional) Cost to enter race / paddock to view the race
Car judging unknown at this point (may / may not do it this year)
Lodging availability
====================================================================
Option 2) Lexfest 2006 at NOPI Nationals

Date: Saturday September 16 and Sunday September 17
Cost: To enter (or bring) your car into the NOPI event, the cost is $70 for early bird, $80 later. The fee includes entrance fees for you and a passenger. Spectator passes are $40 for the weekend. For more details and costs for entry of other contests (such as burnout, dyno, audio, etc) (click here for full registration and ticket details)
Informational Links:Event Description: Lexfest at NOPI Nationals 2006 on Sept 16 - 17
Every year we have a large (40 – 50 cars) Lexus turnout for the NOPI Nationals car show comprised mainly of ClubLexus, my.is and SELOC members. We have a good relationship with the NOPI owners (who are Lexus owners as well) and they get us great positioning on the main entry road. There is ample time for hanging out and in past years we've grilled out as a group.

NOPI is a pretty wild car show with every kind of import (and many non-imports) you could imagine. There are plenty of cool rides from NSXs to show cars with a sliding scale down to the rust and primer Civic with a giant wing. Other than our group, there is only a moderate higher-end car presence with the majority of the cars being sport compacts.

There are hourly events going on from drift demos by famous drivers, burnout contests, dyno and sound contests. Scantily clad import models stroll around and there are booty shake competitions and jello wrestling contests. For further details about the NOPI Event schedule, click here
This is the 18th Annual NOPI NATIONALS Motorsports Supershow, which is now the largest in the world. A crowd in excess of 90,000 will be on hand to view the contests and over 7000 show cars and trucks. The NOPI NATIONALS has 7 show divisions with over 300 classes and cash and prizes exceeding $100,000
Pros for Lexfest at NOPI
One of the worlds largest Import Showcases
Variety of auto models represented at this massive car show, more to see
More activities running all day long
Less planning required, event already set up
More media coverage
Formal Judging, several contests available
Large national vendor participation (TRD, audio vendors such as JL, Eclipse, etc)
Cons for Lexfest at NOPI
Unknown Lexus Corporate / Team Lexus participation (likely minimal)
Not a Lexus-only event
Higher and required cost for registration of our cars into show for entry
Comparatively not as family-friendly event / more reflective of 'import scene'
Car show timing (all day Saturday and Sunday starting early) reduces capability for secondary events
Hotels also at premium during NOPI, traffic issues at track are a royal pain getting in & out
Reduced participation by Lexus vendors due to cost to set up at NOPI
What we need from you
Considering the options and details above (and any others you want to research and comment on here) please vote on the options listed in this poll. If you can make both dates for Lexfest at Petit Le Mans and NOPI Nationals that’s the optimal solution, but we realize that’s a lot of time away from family and home for those that don’t live near Atlanta.

Thank you for taking the time to read about the options the planning team is pursuing, please vote in the poll above and comment or ask questions! We will have a number of secondary activities outside the 'main events' outlined above that we'll roll out at a later time.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-16-06 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 08:49 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like option 1 ...guess Im coming down to you guys
Old 03-16-06, 09:38 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLW
I like option 1 ...guess Im coming down to you guys
are you forgetting about the caravans?? it'll be a big long line of lexus overtaking the east coast. i voted already, so i can't vote again... but i'm still all about lexfest with team lexus!
Old 03-17-06, 05:09 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

dave

i voted for somehow incorp this into nopi ..as i know my friends who made it up last year (although i flew up) they are diehard nopi goers and they wont make 2 trips to atl in the same month.. way too driving... they have put a safe plan for me to try and drive up this year..( iam going to make it a 3-4 day weekend) so i can get enough rest ..

speaking of 3-4 day is it at all possible to do lex fest on the fri before nopi or even the sunday after nopi

i know my guys are already starting to put in for multiple days off from work so i can head up from thurs night and we return early mon am
Old 03-17-06, 05:43 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already got the NOPI nationals on my books. I prefer incorporating both.
Old 03-17-06, 06:37 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted for having lexfest as its own event. If we really want it to become a somewhat East National Event we need to keep it on its own so people can see it can stand on its own 2 legs without the help of Nopi. Yes I loved Nopi and was planning to go but Lexfest will be a 100+ car event where Nopi we usually get between 30-50 cars. It would be Nice to have an event where the focus is on us and Like Dave mentioned in another thread Nopi is great and last year there were maybe 8 cars from florida there. So the lost is going to be minimal from the sunshine state. If I had to choose I already decided I would skip Nopi and do Lexfest where you have lexus parts sponsors,giveaways, and activities that revolve around our cars. Plus you will have more people there who will know what you have done in term of mods than at Nopi where you get so much of a really young crowd asking what this and that is. I guess the quality of the crowd at lexfest will be more appealing imo. That and we don't have to stick around all day like last year at Nopi waiting to be judged, waiting for a judge to pick our car apart. No worries or concerns of having to compete against your friends and peers. Its just more of a meet and greet type event where we have common mods and knowledge or we can get lots of knowledge from those who know more.

Yes if we combine Lexfest with Nopi we will get more coverage cuz Nopi is a staple with magazines and websites always wanting to cover their events but we should try to make our own event where the coverage will come little by little and more and more sponsors and companies will come out as this thing gets bigger every year to cover our event. With all the beasts on the East coast its one of those " IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME"

I Vote Lexfest 06 on its own...

Last edited by bluelex; 03-17-06 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 06:46 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
I voted for having lexfest as its own event. If we really want it to become a somewhat East National Event we need to keep it on its own so people can see it can stand on its own 2 legs without the help of Nopi. Yes I loved Nopi and was planning to go but Lexfest will be a 100+ car event where Nopi we usually get between 30-50 cars. It would be Nice to have an event where the focus is on us and Like Dave mentioned in another thread Nopi is great and last year there were maybe 8 cars from florida there. So the lost is going to be minimal from the sunshine state. If I had to choose I already decided I would skip Nopi and do Lexfest where you have lexus parts sponsors,giveaways, and activities that revolve around our cars. Plus you will have more people there who will know what you have done in term of mods than at Nopi where you get so much of a really young crowd asking what this and that is. I guess the quality of the crowd at lexfest will be more appealing imo. That and we don't have to stick around all day like last year at Nopi waiting to be judged, waiting for a judge to pick our car apart. No worries or concerns of having to compete against your friends and peers. Its just more of a meet and greet type event where we have common mods and knowledge or we can get lots of knowledge from those who know more.

Yes if we combine Lexfest with Nopi we will get more coverage cuz Nopi is a staple with magazines and websites always wanting to cover their events but we should try to make our own event where the coverage will come little by little and more and more sponsors and companies will come out as this thing gets bigger every year to cover our event. With all the beasts on the East coast its one of those " IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME"

I Vote Lexfest 06 on its own...
Enough said! Amen!
Old 03-17-06, 07:43 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On its own

what A said just sums everything up....
Old 03-17-06, 07:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife

speaking of 3-4 day is it at all possible to do lex fest on the fri before nopi or even the sunday after nopi
Nope, you may recall that NOPI is on both Saturday AND Sunday (Sunday is when they give out the awards). IMO we will never be able to do it on a weekday as we'd automatically cut our attendee list in 1/2. If we do it on a Friday, most members would have to also take off Thursday just to travel... We'll always target a weekend date to maximize participation.

Team Lexus will not be able to participate with the NOPI event due to cost of travel (it's at least 10K to get their trailer loaded and down there) and manpower requirements preparing for other races.

Ed, the FL guys that come to NOPI are one of the primary reasons we have this poll going on. We'd love for everyone to come to both but understand some folks will pick one or the other.
Old 03-17-06, 08:07 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points regarding Lexfest on its own. I will try to attend no matter what the outcome. I just have to make sure the wife didnt schedule any family stuff that weekend.
I had a great time at Lexfest last year, I hope I can attend again.
Old 03-17-06, 08:08 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuddy
On its own

what A said just sums everything up....
man, you and hameed beat me to the punch. he said exactly what i have been thinking, only in much more detail. well put a.
Old 03-17-06, 08:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

chanting - Let the movement for the LEXUS "NOPI" begin!!!!!
Old 03-17-06, 08:18 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
chanting - Let the movement for the LEXUS "NOPI" begin!!!!!
waaaaait a minute, you said you can't go to either (which i'm sad about by the way!) but you're trying to rally people to go to lexus with nopi?
Old 03-17-06, 08:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by adidosc
waaaaait a minute, you said you can't go to either (which i'm sad about by the way!) but you're trying to rally people to go to lexus with nopi?
Yes, I am also sad not to be able to come.

Just to clarify, I am not advocating that LexFest be held with NOPI. I was just saying let's do LexFest on its own so that eventually it becomes so big, that it becomes it's own Lexus NOPI - simply meaning big as NOPI.
Old 03-17-06, 09:07 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got my vote. #1. I prefer the idea that LexFest is a Lexus only event.

Quick Reply: Lexfest 2006 Atlanta! Please vote on these options