Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

New Model Headings are confusing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 05:21 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Default New Model Headings are confusing

The new Model Headings are not nearly as descriptive as the previous ones. Listing models by "generations" requires too much knowledge about the car to easily find a particular model. This makes the forum only really useful for people who are extremely knowledgeable about Lexus car models. This gives the impression that this Lexus Forum is intended only for Lexus "snobs".

I suggest that serious consideration be given to returning the Model Headings to the previous format. While I am sure that the change was done with the best of intentions, I think it is not nearly as useful for finding information. At least it isn't for me.
Old 07-07-15, 02:29 PM
VBSchmidt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what you're saying, but the years of the generation are listed in parenthesis next to the generation. For example it lists *3rd Generation (2001-2006)*. You should at least know the year of your car.
Old 07-07-15, 05:59 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VBSchmidt
I understand what you're saying, but the years of the generation are listed in parenthesis next to the generation. For example it lists *3rd Generation (2001-2006)*. You should at least know the year of your car.
Yes, but if you are looking for an ES300 or ES330, you need to know which generation or year you are looking for. The previous listing would list both the ES300 and the ES330 separately. The new listing does not provide the model of either, instead they are imbedded under "ES - 2nd to 4th Gen (1990-2006)". So how is one to find the ES330 for instance? Does the viewer really know that the ES330 is a 4th Gen produced from 2003 to 2006.

Further does the viewer really know that the ES300 is a 2nd/3rd Gen produced from 1992 to 2002?

Sorry to say, but the previous listing provided that information and was much easier to use. I just don't think the new listing is helping others who are interested in different models of Lexus cars in general.
Old 07-07-15, 09:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

We're open to suggestions. What would you feel is descriptive for non-Lexus visitors to the site?
Old 07-08-15, 12:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Jay, appreciate the feedback.

The old setup was a mixed bag of generations and models so it was different for each Lexus vehicle. Some had years and others didn't. Some only had generations listed. We got a lot of confusion from new members who didn't know which sub forum to use over the years with misplaced threads; having the year everywhere will give them a concrete place to align, regardless if they initially don't know what 'generation' their car is. In your example, a 2004 es330 owner pretty clearly would click on the forum for ES vehicles made between 1990 and 2006, regardless if they know the generation of their Lexus.

More detail as always exists in the full text menus beyond the front page (example just click on LS or the car icon)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-models-10/

Will continue to gather feedback and observe if folks are more or less confused.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-08-15 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-08-15, 11:34 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Jay, appreciate the feedback.

The old setup was a mixed bag of generations and models so it was different for each Lexus vehicle. Some had years and others didn't. Some only had generations listed. We got a lot of confusion from new members who didn't know which sub forum to use over the years with misplaced threads; having the year everywhere will give them a concrete place to align, regardless if they initially don't know what 'generation' their car is. In your example, a 2004 es330 owner pretty clearly would click on the forum for ES vehicles made between 1990 and 2006, regardless if they know the generation of their Lexus.

More detail as always exists in the full text menus beyond the front page (example just click on LS or the car icon)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-models-10/

Will continue to gather feedback and observe if folks are more or less confused.
Old habits die hard and perhaps that is my problem. I've been a long time Club member and have owned an SC400, my current LS430 and my son has an ES330, all simultaneously. Consequently I just bookmarked "www.clublexus.com/forums/" when I logged in and then was able to easily access those 3 models. Consequently, when I logged in a few days ago that page was different and didn't seem as straightforward for me to use.

That is the page that I had the issue with, as I tried to explain, but probably didn't do a very good job of what I was trying to say. I certainly won't have a problem in using the new format, just thought it might not be as easy for newbies and visitors. I could be wrong of course.
Old 07-15-15, 07:02 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I had the same initial confusion as Jay but quickly adapted but I could see how it could be disconcerting for some old timers of the site.