Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Forum rant "Go Search"

Old 08-24-14, 01:11 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum rant "Go Search"

Is it just me or does it seem like almost every thread that starts with a member asking a question they get the reply "do a search?"

The problem comes in when now we have a forum of threads packed with responses of "go search" instead of referring to those valuable threads that will actually help. So now you have to spend hours flipping through useless threads where older members here are just flaming newer member for not searching. But maybe they searched and all they found is short useless threads just garbaged up from members who responded in a poor way.

Please remember, we all had to learn things for the first time at some point. Just because you know something doesn't mean everyone else knows as well. So instead of sending someone on a goose chase for hours when their car is already acting up, just give them useful info or don't post up at all. That way we don't have tons of threads that put people down or say "go search" and our new member don't shy away from the Lexus community here. Also when given the chance they will also contribute something useful down the line.

Rant over.
Old 08-24-14, 01:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Did you search? This exact rant has been covered dozens of times

I totally agree. Telling folks just to search first isn't a good welcome to new members or even older ones. It's the wrong message.

I totally disagree. Newbies who don't search first end up asking the same question that more experienced members have seen dozens if not hundreds of times. It's frustrating for the old timers who have some of the best knowledge that their earlier posts explaining exactly this question hasn't been searched.

Understand there isn't a simple answer for this issue... We absolutely DO want members to search first and are actually putting some new things in place for new joiners to help reinforce this request and show them where to look. We've got extensive FAQ stickies in many forums that we've just highlighted with a new visual 'bar' to make them stick out a bit more.

We're also addressing your specific concern. If the moderators do see someone constantly saying simply 'go search repeatedly' we do often have a private conversation with them where we ask them to change their messaging so that if they do tell someone to search, they're trying more to teach them to search. Tell them keywords that they are using and give them links to what they found that answers their question. If they can't do that, we'll ask them to knock off the 'go search' replies permanently.
Old 08-24-14, 04:34 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be clear, it really doesnt happen to me much. But i have been told go search after doing some digging for a solid hour. And ive seen several new guys get a keyboard lashing.

Argeed, some do tend to start a new thread instead of, oh I dont know, scrolling down the page slightly to reveal a sticky that answers their question.