Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Constant barrage of Mobile app D/L requests and popup adds??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 04:39 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Constant barrage of Mobile app D/L requests and popup adds??

Alright so I browse a lot on my iPhone and iPad. I very much dislike mobile forum apps and mobile skins. I am being barraged with requests to use both the mobile skin and the app to the point where when window leads to the same window repeatedly.
Is there any way to make this a toggle-able feature in the CP so I can permanantly disable these prompts? It gets annoying having to say no what dreams to be every few page loads to the mobile app which is immediately followed by the mobile skin request.
This has happens a few times when writing either a long response, or putting the device down in the middle of the responce to do something else (like answer a phone call) before completing the response at a later time, only to loose the response in the process.
Very aggravating!

Additionally, I have noticed scrolling adds that stick to the bottom of my viewing window, and when attempting to "X" them away, they open a new window for the advert. Again, very aggravating!!
That seems like something that should be restricted to people viewing without being logged in....

What gives?
Old 06-25-13, 05:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I've asked the Internet Brands folks to respond.

Know you don't like them (I typically don't either) but I did try the new mobile app on my iphone and thought it was pretty slick.
Old 06-25-13, 06:17 PM
IB Nolan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should only prompt you to download the app/switch to mobile skin once every 24 hours and if it is asking more frequently then please check to see if cookies are turned off and if that is not the case then I will make sure the tech team investigate further (unable to replicate it today for more than the one time it initially asked). I will look into a way to allow a user to simply disable the prompt completely and it apologize for the inconvenience.

best,

Nolan
Old 06-25-13, 06:55 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the fast responce!

It probably has to do with the ever changing IP I have on my phone/devices when I am out and on various Wifi networks/locations throughout the day. On the forum I used to run, it was a simple function to toggle on and off in the admin CP. i do not think this is the same system, so I have no idea about how simple it is the forum program you are running...

Maybe just a "do not ask me again" tick box linked to the account would be awesome!

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the app or the skin, I hate the reduced functionality and feel.
Old 06-26-13, 07:16 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
It probably has to do with the ever changing IP I have on my phone/devices when I am out and on various Wifi networks/locations throughout the day.
Agree. I'm all over and it prompts multiple times depending on location. It's a design flaw that is going to annoy many and lower traffic if not fixed.
Old 06-28-13, 09:48 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

This is what it looks like as i travel. I get double teamed with two at once.
Attached Thumbnails Constant barrage of Mobile app D/L requests and popup adds??-image.jpg  
Old 07-03-13, 05:20 AM
txes
Lead Lap

I agree.

Make it so I have a choice to say... NO!

John
Old 07-15-13, 06:57 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've asked the Internet Brands folks to respond.

Know you don't like them (I typically don't either) but I did try the new mobile app on my iphone and thought it was pretty slick.
Any update on this PITA issue?

Really annoying when viewing the site from a mobile device.

John
Old 07-22-13, 08:38 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Any update on fixing this annoyance?

A simple fix with a little effort.

John
Old 07-22-13, 12:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I know IB has had some significant infrastructure challenges over the last few weeks. Not sure if its a shared team that also works on the mobile stuff but suspect we won't get any mindshare until we are back on stable servers