Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

New CL site design / layout

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 02:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
FYI The dropdown menu only shows ES 350 and the LFA forum shows LFA and LFA roadster forums? Also some say first gen/2nd gen etc, then others show the model numbers.
I'd reported that as a bug but then realized it's working correctly and thought I'd post. The ES350 / LFA Roadster links are not under the 'forums' menu... that's under cars & rumors and those links show up because there are articles about those vehicles (and others don't because there aren't any about them yet).

The forums menu follow the same naming convention we have on the main forums where sometimes the content is related to combined generations with the same model #, so we've left them (example LS400).

Appreciate the feedback folks, keep it coming! If you see something wonky, report it here.
Old 09-21-11, 02:06 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Dave,

You may have noted this one already but since you asked, I see 1GS twice and no 3GS. (yes the link for the second 1GS takes you to 1GS forum )
Attached Thumbnails New CL site design / layout-1gs2x.jpg  
Old 09-21-11, 02:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks yep, we got that one listed already. Appreciate it!

We're also requesting the 'non-model' forum areas (at least the main sections) be added on that dropdown menu
Old 09-21-11, 02:38 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall this is a nice refresh. I think I really like the CL Live feature. Seems a bit slower but I'm sure with tweaking over time it will speed back up.

Nice work!
Old 09-21-11, 02:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Looking good.

One thing I would've taken further is the all important banner. Doesn't look bad but I would've gone with sharper photos instead of intentionally hazy pics. And I would have chosen to display the LFA, 4GS, or maybe the CT instead of the overly common RX.

Too bad the ad bar has to be so prominent, but I understand bills need to get paid.

Just nitpicking though.

BTW, that live feed is pretty cool!
Old 09-21-11, 04:12 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The live feed looks interesting. Is the CL banner up top a prototype or will it stay? I like the look of it except for the placement of the CL/ClubLexus logo. I think it'll be nice to have pictured other Lexus models from previous generations and not just all new models. Just my 0.02 Dave.
Old 09-21-11, 04:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

MrG, We plan to keep more current models up top and have them setup so we can replace them from time to time. The 4gs wasn't out when we started this but suspect that will be in the next update. We did have the lfa in there at one point, may have been obscured by ad banner placement

GS menu fixed
Old 09-21-11, 06:13 PM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looving the new layout, but agree on the CL logo
being a little off..

toHn
Old 09-21-11, 06:14 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

please center the forum its left justified it was centered before if i recall
Old 09-21-11, 08:05 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Still working smoothly..
One thing.
Is the site tree under the "clublexus facebook" going to be integrated with the "Forums" drop down menu? Seems kinda redundant to have both. Then maybe integrate the the Welcome (User X) and PM box info in the same header..
Just my .02..
Old 09-21-11, 08:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Jake, I'm not quite sure what you're asking / suggesting. Can you give a screen shot or further description?
Old 09-21-11, 09:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Everything looks great except the banner ad that is three times bigger than the name of the site and completely dwarfs it to where you almost have to look for the name of the site. I remember the discussion about advertising interference when IB took over CL and the respect of the forum purity while creatively implementing the advertising was the biggest hot button. There's nothing they could do more damaging to that conversation than making the top banner advertising SO BIG it engulfs the actual logo of the site. This SURELY wasn't necessary to mask the sites identity with a monster billboard. The forum header images are it's identity, it should be all lexus models across the top with the CL logo in the middle. It defines the forum.

Of course I am one of the select 15 or so that were in that conversation behind the closed doors where we were fighting for our sites identity as corporate took over. I'm proud of everything we've done and it's more personal to the OG's than to some that haven't built CL over the last 8 or ten years to see the day the sites header and identity is less important than a big banner ad. It's something IB promised they would respect during the takeover and while the site upgrade looks PHENOMENAL and deserves props, the blatant disrespect of the site by swallowing the identity of the site in a huge ad is the final nail in the coffin for this great sites identity and history. Now it's just another IB site.
Old 09-21-11, 09:50 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just noticed something, yesterday I was using my personal laptop, all I've seen in the banner was the RX and the ISF. Right now I'm using my work laptop, which has higher resolution than my personal, now I see 2 extra cars which are the LS and the CT. Is it something to do with my resolution, or it has been changed?

So how many cars does the banner really have? Also I think it's nicer if the banner looks the same in multiple resolutions.
Old 09-22-11, 05:21 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

New site looks good... I thought there was something wrong with the computer or fonts lol... Thanks Dave.. Nice refresh
Old 09-22-11, 07:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

@OLT, I guess I have to agree and disagree. The banner does look big placed next to the site logo, but there are less of them up there than there used to be (we used to have two). IB has done a great job of respecting our concerns about advertising and haven't allowed pop-ups, blocking advertisers promoting scams or inappropriate ads, etc. They gave the moderator team the opportunity to review a bunch of options and iterations of the header and logo and I think it looks pretty good. Fix for that is simple, if you don't like the ad placement, run an ad-blocker and all you'll see is the CL logo

@Rash, the new header stretches so you'll see more cars as you have screen real estate to view them. Example on Safari on my ipad I don't see any cars at all and the CL logo is left justified... pretty trick I'm getting used to it myself.

Thanks for the feedback folks, please use this post to report any bugs or issues you see. IB's tech folks have been actively fixing those reported.

Quick Reply: New CL site design / layout