Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!
View Poll Results: Would you find it useful if the Lexus shop manuals were posted online?
Yes
94.05%
No
5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Publishing Lexus Shop Manuals online? Interested?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-02, 02:25 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even better, Don't put the whole manual online, just a few pages that people need the most like: Strut /spring replacement, STB replacement, Sway bar replacement, ECU wiring, dash wiring, tail light removal, bumper removal, headlight removal, brake installation, LSD removal....

Put them in like a DIY of sometype. Many lexus ppl here are non-technical type, it would be no use for those anyway.

Anh
Old 04-15-02, 06:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Is there a possibility of getting an ES250 shop manual?
Old 04-15-02, 06:15 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

If anyone needs part numbers for 98-99 GS and service manual pages I have all three books. For a minimal charge i can copy them and mail them to you.
Old 04-15-02, 11:00 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these manuals should be very helpful. took me 30 minutes just to take my rear doors apart today
Old 04-17-02, 05:19 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Static911-

AWESOME IDEA!

See what Lexus corporate has to say. I hope you don't get discouraged by people here telling that it's a copyright infringement. If Lexus says yes, then it's NOT a violation. If it says no, then what did you lose?

The service manual is nothing but a collection of instructions and illustrations on how to "fix" the Lexus product. They should be giving this away for free to Lexus owners who do not use the manual for gainful purposes!
Old 11-17-02, 02:50 AM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dear Mr. Lexus USA,

Please send us your repair manuals for free. Yeah, the ones you normally sell for about $200 a set. So we can put them on a website and make them available to everybody everywhere. So everybody can find the manuals on the website and do their own work instead of taking their cars to your dealers.

Hey, go for it, I wish you luck.

Last edited by strongsail; 11-17-02 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 10:55 PM
legendary
Racer

I would be happy with eithtere online access, IF possible, or a discounted copy of both shop manuals. Good luck, Ethan..it is greatly appreciated
Old 11-26-02, 09:07 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

I think it is a great idea. If you can get it with no legal trouble. Another possible idea to help get some money for the server and stuff is to make a complete version available to the ClubLexus Paid Members only, and for the others, have like 4 or 5 just to show what it is like..

Not trying to be biased (spelling?) on the people that don't want to be paid members, but it just gives another reason to become one and help the community out and the same time as helping yourself.

Just an idea..

As long as you can't get in any legal trouble for it..
Old 12-12-02, 02:21 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Angry

Ethan,

I think it is a GREAT idea and very feasible. If accessible at a small cost to members etc... you could pay the royalties to ToyotaMotorCompany. This is not a new thing or unheard of in the printing/electronic media industry. I think some people here are skeptical only for your personal and clublexus protection. We would all hate to see our beloved forum disappear.

For example, I can get articles in PDF from almost any publication in print over the internet with just a basic free county library card. If this is possible, then your standpoint of providing a similar "library" access to the data is VERY solid. It would cost about $5million to purchase the periodical back issues accessible thru infotrac etc... $200-$300 manual doesn't seem that big of a deal. Most of the cost of these manuals today are simply archiving and printing.

MW
Old 12-12-02, 05:42 PM
Static911

We already begun to scan shop manuals. Sorry GS guys, we decided to start on the SC manuals first. We be posting selections for those people who enjoy doing DIY projects.

Ethan
Old 12-12-02, 07:58 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Static911
We already begun to scan shop manuals. Sorry GS guys, we decided to start on the SC manuals first. We be posting selections for those people who enjoy doing DIY projects.

Ethan
Awesome...this is a great idea!!

Don't these manuals come on CD?? I have the service manual for a 98' GS4 on a cd. It would be easier to copy a cd then to scan in an intire book.
Old 12-21-02, 08:05 AM
Stevenem
Rookie

Originally posted by Static911
bitkahuna

LOL. Me, in prison. I will be calling Lexus Corp to PROVIDE the manuals. Anyhow, I have the numbers to the product educators. So, I'll be giving them a call on what they think.

My take, why not? It's not like secretive information? If you fork out the cash, you can buy it at any dealership. It's not like you have to do an application to buy them.

Static911
I'm ordering my manuals right now, but I really would love to have the manuals on CD as well. The ability to search/zoom/print a copy to use while doing a repair (easy to hold just a few pages that you can get dirty)

Steven
Old 12-31-02, 04:50 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

so where are the manuals?
Old 01-04-03, 10:06 AM
legendary
Racer

thanks you Ethan!
Old 03-11-03, 08:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

with as many members in each forum as we have and as many cars, i see no reason why a certain member, or members, couldn't take pictures of their cars SIMILAR to the one's in each tech manual and write a SIMILAR response and post it. Then it isn't Lexus' tech manuals, it's ours..... using the originals as a guide.

and .... it's just SIMILAR