Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Did your signature image stop working? Here's how to fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 06:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Default Did your signature image stop working? Here's how to fix it!

Members,

Because of ongoing abuse of signature image size constraints on our forum, we are disabling use of the IMG command to embed images in member signatures effective immediately (October 19, 2008). The oversized signatures slow down access to the forums for all of us and can make it hard to read. For several years, the moderator team has put an enormous effort into trying to keep the signatures within our forum guidelines (located here). We keep records on each person we've had to contact (some several times) and since 2002 we've had to ask upwards of 2,300 members to resize or remove their signatures. That's a lot of time from our volunteer staff and members that would be much better spent elsewhere.

"Hey wait, I like the signatures! Its an expression of individuality and makes the forum more interesting. I recognize people by their signature when they post, please don't turn off that feature!" We agree! That's why we're simply asking you to move your current IMG signature over to the SIGPIC signature. It works in much the same way except it's handled almost like your avatar picture. You can also link from external hosted sources.

The benefit to using the SIGPIC feature is that it automatically resizes any images to meet our forum size limits. That way we don't have to nag you to fix them any longer (at least for the image sizes, all the other rules still apply please ). For folks that aren't tech savvy this method also makes putting an image in your signature easier because it does all the resizing and is menu driven.

Once I disable the IMG feature, your linked signature images will stop working and you'll need to update your profile to put it in the signature as described below. Your old IMG link will still be listed in your signature, it just won't work any longer.

This link will take you directly to the edit signature area of the user control panel (User CP), which is where you can change your signature.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...=editsignature <-- CLICK HERE TO EDIT SIGNATURE. Here are a couple of examples:

Simple signature example:
Just pick option 1 or option 2 to either link or upload your image, then click the 'insert' link as I've circled below and save it.

Complex signature example
This example has a 'linked' image that takes you to a post when you click on the image and formatted text.

Some members are already using the sigpic feature; it's been enabled since our last CL upgrade. Those members are good to go with no changes needed. If you're just using text without any image you also need no changes.

Note: Moderators, Approved CL Vendors and CL folding team members with 10K or more points will still be able to use the IMG feature. The 'stats' signature for folding will not work unless you've hit the 10K threshold.

PS I've pasted in the signature rules for folks that might want a refresher so you don't have to click on the link above.
Signature Banners, Avatars and URL links
Club Lexus has some reasonable guidelines regarding signature size and content, to keep CLUB LEXUS a forum that's easy for our members to read... no giant signature banners and text that takes up half the screen on each post, friendly for dial-up, no unwanted advertising and 100% work-safe. Repeated abuse of the forum signature rules will cause the member to forfeit the privilege to have a signature on our forum or suspension of their access.
  1. No images physically larger than 450 (wide) X 100 (tall) in total combined size
  2. Image file sizes no larger than a combined 50K from a reliable host, preferably the Club Lexus gallery
  3. A maximum of 8 lines of normal sized (default) text, including blank lines. Larger than "size 1" text is not allowed, enforced at moderator team's discretion.
  4. No for sale, want-to-buy or advertising text (including URLs, business titles, or business contact info) in signatures unless you are an approved Club Lexus sponsor
  5. No intentionally inflammatory or politically charged signature text allowed. This specific rule will be applied at the moderator team's discretion.
  6. Only work safe, PG-rated images are allowed in signatures, no profanity is allowed
  7. Macromedia Flash signatures are prohibited
  8. Referencing other members or protests against moderator actions in your signature is not allowed
Avatar file size is restricted by the forum software to 75x75. Avatar images must be follow the work safe and no-advertising image rules outlined above.

Home page URLs contained in the member profile cannot contain links to non-work safe sites or to non-approved vendor websites.

Members who enable avatars, URLs and signatures that do not follow the guidelines above may receive private or public warnings or may have their images edited or removed without warning. Repeated issues will cause the privilege of having a signature, avatar and/or website URL to be removed as options for that member.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-19-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 06:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

If you have questions or problems getting your signature to work please post here and we'll try to help you out.
Old 10-19-08, 06:58 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just created my signature but did not see it in all my previous post
Old 10-19-08, 07:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by trini1976
Just created my signature but did not see it in all my previous post
It may take some time for them to populate through the forums, I'll check on them tomorrow.

Do me a favor and edit one of your old posts; once you have it open scroll down below the message box and look under "additional options" - tell me if the 'show your signature' button is clicked on?
Old 10-21-08, 06:05 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no idea how to do this, please help!
Old 10-21-08, 06:29 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Nevermind got it to work!
Old 10-22-08, 08:08 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure this is a result of my lack of technical savvy....LOl

But, I am trying to load my sig from my gallery. When I make this attempt I receive an error message saying "invalid URL". Do I need to do something different to use a picture already located in my gallery?
Old 10-22-08, 08:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I'm sure this is a result of my lack of technical savvy....LOl

But, I am trying to load my sig from my gallery. When I make this attempt I receive an error message saying "invalid URL". Do I need to do something different to use a picture already located in my gallery?
I got the same error with yours (looking into it).

What I did as a workaround for you....

you could 1) just take your signature URL and pop it into a browser. 2) right click save as on the image and save it to your desktop and 3) chose the 'upload' option instead of the URL and click on the browse button to select your image from your desktop.
Old 10-22-08, 08:54 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It may take some time for them to populate through the forums, I'll check on them tomorrow.

Do me a favor and edit one of your old posts; once you have it open scroll down below the message box and look under "additional options" - tell me if the 'show your signature' button is clicked on?
OKay 'show your signature' button was not clicked on'. Thats why okay cool
Old 10-22-08, 08:57 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I got the same error with yours (looking into it).

What I did as a workaround for you....

you could 1) just take your signature URL and pop it into a browser. 2) right click save as on the image and save it to your desktop and 3) chose the 'upload' option instead of the URL and click on the browse button to select your image from your desktop.

Thanks for your help Dave!!!!!
Old 10-24-08, 01:11 PM
KatsuSauce
Pole Position

my [img] won't convert to [sigpic]
doesn't even give me an option to insert image???
idk, lol
Old 10-24-08, 01:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by KatsuSauce
my [img] won't convert to [sigpic]
doesn't even give me an option to insert image???
idk, lol
Please save your signature image to your desktop and use the browse/ upload feature to get it there.
Old 10-24-08, 01:30 PM
KatsuSauce
Pole Position

you can use the [sigpic] only once in my sig?
Old 10-24-08, 01:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by KatsuSauce
you can use the [sigpic] only once in my sig?
I have it configured to accept more than one, but haven't figured out any way to do that yet.
Old 10-24-08, 02:07 PM
KatsuSauce
Pole Position

Yeah, it wont let me insert my custom smilie,
which would be a second [sigpic] ---> Name:  sigpic2.gif
Views: 332
Size:  14.8 KB

Quick Reply: Did your signature image stop working? Here's how to fix it!