Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Unread posts not staying unread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 08:49 AM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unread posts not staying unread

Hi,

when i come to this here, there are sometimes many "unread" posts in threads in the forum i monitor. i don't always have the time or inclination to read every one of them, and may only be looking for a new post on a particular thread. so i don't read every thread with an "unread" post on it.

but then, the next time i come to visit the forum, all of those previously "unread" posts are now considered to be read - even though i didn't open the thread in which they are posted.

other forums that i subscribe to preserve the unread status of all my unread threads until i read them.

am i missing something here?

blessings,
daniel
Old 11-24-07, 09:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Not sure, when anyone has a similar problem it's usually the reverse (lost read marks).

Perhaps the "Quick Links/Mark Forums Read" feature is somehow being clicked? Do you use anything in the 'quick links' menu?

I'd recommend deleting your internet cache/cookies (log out of CL, close all windows except one - navigate away from CL, google or something, then delete your IE cache) just in case a cookie related to that feature is corrupted.
Old 11-24-07, 09:35 AM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

hi Dave,

thanks for responding.

this happens to me across platfroms and browsers. in other words, i can look on my mac at home with safari, leave some threads unread, and then when i look at work on a pc with IE, they are reset to read, and vice-versa!

i do not use the quick links menu at all.

what seems to be happening is that all my posts reset to my "last visited time" instead of looking to see if i have read a particular thread/page or not.

hmm

i will try the cookie suggestion on safari (where i do most of my forum browsing)

blessings,
daniel
Old 11-24-07, 04:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

vb can have two settings one is to automatically expire "new posts" after a while you visited the forum, or it can stay that way until you click on quick link and mark everything read. i kind of prefer the setup now though
Old 11-24-07, 04:50 PM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info.

which way is it set now? is this set per user? if so, how do i change it for me?

blessings,
daniel
Old 11-25-07, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am not 100% sure, but i think it's a forum setup issue, not something individual user can change on their own
Old 11-25-07, 11:31 AM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

thanks!

please count this as one vote for changing the setting so that unread message remain unread, and do not reset after some period of time.

blessings,
daniel
Old 11-25-07, 11:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I found a setting that I increased

"Database Read Marking Limit
The amount of time in days to store the thread and forum read times. All threads or forums without posts in this many days will be considered read. "

It is currently set at 10 days, I changed it to 30.
Old 11-25-07, 12:04 PM
sbdan
Driver School Candidate

hi Dave,

thanks for the quick response. i am not sure, however, that this setting actually addresses the issue that i am having.

this is not something that happens over a period of 10 or 30 days. rather it can happen in an afternoon! i will try to explain it again:

let's say that there are 10 threads with unread posts in the forum i am viewing. then let's say that i only view 1 of those threads.

then later that day, i come back to the forum to view the other 9 threads. but now, for some reason, the other nine threads act as if i had viewed them all at the previous time, and only posts newer than that show as being unread.

i end up missing a lot of information because of this. in practice, what i do now is this: i still go to the first unread post in a thread, but then i scroll backwards in the thread to see other posts that i have not read yet!

i hope this explains it more clearly.

blessings and thanks!

daniel
Old 11-26-07, 05:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Daniel, the setting I listed is the only one I know (or can find) that may impact you as described. Sorry I can't help more, still try the cache removal.
Old 01-23-09, 06:50 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Dave, sorry to bump an old thread but this thread is exactly what I was about to post. Just bumping to see with the upgrade CL had in 08 if perhaps this is something we can select now as users? (I'm basically looking for an unread thread to remain unread until I read it, or until the sites 30 day rule kicks in) Not a huge deal, but it is a feature that some other vBulletin sites have and I would like to take advantage of if avail.

Either way, thanks for everything you do for us here on CL,

Larry
Old 01-24-09, 07:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by TripleL
Hey Dave, sorry to bump an old thread but this thread is exactly what I was about to post. Just bumping to see with the upgrade CL had in 08 if perhaps this is something we can select now as users? (I'm basically looking for an unread thread to remain unread until I read it, or until the sites 30 day rule kicks in) Not a huge deal, but it is a feature that some other vBulletin sites have and I would like to take advantage of if avail.

Either way, thanks for everything you do for us here on CL,

Larry
Larry,

The setting is still at 30 days and I don't see anything that allows you to do it individually. When researching I did find that the setting is cookie-based so you might be able to do something on your browser to keep the cookies (specifically from CL) longer.

Inactivity/Cookie Based
Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.
Old 01-25-09, 05:14 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Dave,

Thanks so much for checking this out!

The cookie idea makes sense now that you mention it. I'm gonna play around with it and if I come up with something I'll be sure to report back to you.

Thanks again,

Larry
Old 10-02-14, 04:04 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Dave,

I know its been about 5 years but believe it or not on Monday of this week the site started to work the way I had inquired about in 2009

Since Monday, when I time-out during the day or even close out on one computer and then later sign in on another what I had left as unread is still unread.

Not sure if its by design or just temporary insanity for me but I LIKE IT!

So thanks!

Larry.
Old 10-02-14, 04:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by TripleL
Dave,

I know its been about 5 years but believe it or not on Monday of this week the site started to work the way I had inquired about in 2009

Since Monday, when I time-out during the day or even close out on one computer and then later sign in on another what I had left as unread is still unread.

Not sure if its by design or just temporary insanity for me but I LIKE IT!

So thanks!

Larry.
Lol, funny you remembered IB updated some major components earlier this week so guess one of them included the fix .