Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Should CAR CHAT be split into separate forums?

Old 07-01-06, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Should CAR CHAT be split into separate forums?

What do you guys think? You moderators, obviously, see a lot more CL data than I do, but it seems to me that CAR CHAT has easily become the mainstreet of CL's vehicle-related forums. It has become the lightning-rod for just about everything vehicle-related that is not linked to specific Lexus models in each of their respective forums. In CAR CHAT we discuss everything from tomorrow's vehicles to today's to yesterday's. ( including Lexus products, of course ) While, of course, there is nothing wrong with that ( and I, of course, am one of CAR CHAT's biggest supporters ) I'm wondering if it is now SO big that it has gotten to be just too much of a melting pot. I notice that much of the sports talk has recently been siphoned off into the fairly new PRESS BOX forum....which was a good idea. How about considering the same for CAR CHAT?.....having one forum for talk about yesterday's cars and another for today's and tomorrow's? We could also have a sub-forum for people who are shopping for new vehicles and want advice and input on which vehicle to buy, and for what reasons. That would make it easier for both the " search " features and for those who want to get right to the point on a specific request.

Don't get me wrong......I am NOT complaining about CAR CHAT the way it is, by ANY means. It is a superb forum.....one of the best on the Internet. I spend more time on it than anyplace else on the Net, unless I am actually shopping with someone or doing consulting outside of CL. Maybe, though, it can be made even better.

Am I out of line here, or do you guys think it is feasible? I know that the arguement can be made that there are other web sites out there that offer general auto discussion and new-car advice as well...Edmunds is a good example.......but IMO none of those can equal CAR CHAT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-06 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-01-06, 04:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

no
Old 07-01-06, 06:34 PM
LexFather

I think its a good idea to review what we are doing with car chat. Its highly active and new threads can get bumped to page 2 on a regular day.

My thought a few months ago was Car chat and a sub forum of Lexus news and then others but I never proposed it.
Old 07-01-06, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think its a good idea to review what we are doing with car chat. Its highly active and new threads can get bumped to page 2 on a regular day.

Yes.....this is quite true of threads that don't get a lot of quick answers. They wind up on page 2 before you know it.
Old 07-01-06, 08:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.....this is quite true of threads that don't get a lot of quick answers. They wind up on page 2 before you know it.
It's the sign of a healthy forum and it is a good thing.
Old 07-01-06, 09:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

MM, we are considering adding some new car related forums (yet to be announced if we decide to do them) but not in the manner in which you propose. No offense intended, but it sounds like a lot of decisions to make before posting (or even browsing) to break it down that way and I think we'll lose a lot of interest.

If finding the active car chat threads is part of the reason you suggested this, you can change a couple of options so you get more posts per page (this is how I view the forums):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...do=editoptions

change your "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40 posts per page
and change "Default Thread Age Cut Off" to show all threads
Old 07-02-06, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK....I'll wait and see what you guys come up with.