Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Censorship

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-01, 06:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Default Censorship

I'm surprised this ****ing site now has censorship. Why is this necessary? Sure there are some swear words on here but so what? This isn't a 'kids' site.
Old 09-19-01, 07:07 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bit,

The censorship feature, as you have stated, screens profanity and adds *** where appropriate. My understanding is this function is basic to the software we are using. As you know, Michael, just updated the software, so it is performing its function now in the new rev if it wasn't doing so before.
Old 09-19-01, 08:04 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Default Re: Censorship

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I'm surprised this ****ing site now has censorship. Why is this necessary? Sure there are some swear words on here but so what? This isn't a 'kids' site.
Bit,

The latest revesion of our software screens out profanity. It is automatic and will stay. I am sorry if you feel this is censorship but our rules specifically this one below states what is/is not allowed:

5. Please do not post any profanity (harsh or mild) in the TOPIC/SUBJECT of your post. Also, any profanity that can not readily be heard on prime time network television will not be tolerated anywhere on the ClubLexus site.

Thanks you for understanding.

Michael
Old 09-19-01, 08:30 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does this thing also sort out the unnecessary words too? Like if I wanna say "my woofer has strong Bass" will it get censored and turn into B***?
Old 09-19-01, 08:42 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

I don't have any 3 letter words just for that reason in the list. Mostly 4 letter words etc....that is consider profanity.

Michael
Old 09-19-01, 09:53 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I think its good to censor the profanity . Do we really need to use profanity to get our point across ?
Old 09-20-01, 01:45 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha i'm glad you fixed *** mike cause that would have been a problem

oh crap does that sound like i said "i'm glad you fixed ***?" :eek: i mean i'm glad you fixed the word *** so that when you say things like assume or bass it doesn't make it ***ume or b***

haha sorry bout that
Old 09-23-01, 02:09 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Not that it matters, the issue being moot, but in my opinion the profanity censorship sucks. In the military, my current employment, we are chalk full of rules made for the lowest common denominator. Plainly said, stupid rules for stupid people. This being my frame of reference, I feel that people submitting posts with abusive language or threatening other members should be dealt with swiftly and severely. The other members shouldn't be put under this pseudo-oppression before any rules are broken. In an analogy, it's the same as banning all guns, not punishing the people using guns in crimes. Personally, I think a little "creative language" is the only way to get the personality of the person across, and can be quite entertaining in moderation. After all, isn't that what Moderators are for???

Just my opinion.
Old 09-23-01, 02:21 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Oh!!! I forgot one other thing. This site has gotten me through 5 months of being away from my wife, newborn child, and country. Thank you Mike, Moderators, and all the members for a great site (except for the aforementioned censorship and no wheel forum).

Josh
Old 09-23-01, 02:51 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Originally posted by zushwa
Oh!!! I forgot one other thing. This site has gotten me through 5 months of being away from my wife, newborn child, and country. Thank you Mike, Moderators, and all the members for a great site (except for the aforementioned censorship and no wheel forum).

Josh
I don't understand - we HAVE a wheels forum... I was just censoring you from it....

Michael
Old 09-25-01, 03:39 PM
GCGS430
Driver School Candidate

Just a test ty sorry