Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Anyone else getting certain words linked? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 03:21 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb XeroK00L's IntelliTXT Blocking for Dummies

OK so I finally grew tired of not only the green links but also the sizable tooltips that pop out whenever my mouse cursor accidentally rolls over those links. I decided to investigate the "technologies" behind it a little bit. And just as I thought, it uses some cheapo JavaScript from a 3rd-party website (i.e. non-ClubLexus.com site) rather than a harder-to-defeat server-side-include script (i.e. making the green links part of the ClubLexus.com's content). So the "fix" is as easy as follows:

If you DO NOT connect to the Internet via an HTTP proxy server: (Try this first if you don't know what an HTTP proxy server is.)
1. Launch Notepad (in Start -> Programs -> Accessories).
2. Click File -> Open.
3. Change your current folder to the following depending on the Windows OS you're running:
Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS
4. Open the file named "HOSTS" (note that you may need to change the "Files of type:" to "All Files" first).
5. Add the following line to the end of the file:
127.0.0.1 clublexus.us.intellitxt.com
6. Click File -> Save to save the change.

Note that if the file "HOSTS" doesn't already exist, create one, with just the single line shown in step 5.

If you connect to the Internet via an HTTP proxy server:
In Internet Explorer:
1. Click Tools -> Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog box.
2. Click on the Connections tab.
3. Click LAN Settings...
4. In the Proxy server box, click Advanced.
5. In the Exceptions box, put:
*.intellitxt.com
6. Click OK and OK again to save the change.

Note that in step 5 if you already have a set of domain names configured, add that "*.intellitxt.com" to the list by separating it with a semicolon.

In Firefox/Mozilla:
1. Click Tools -> Options to open the Options dialog box.
2. Click General -> Connection Settings.
3. In the "No Proxy for:" box, put:
.intellitxt.com
4. Click OK and OK again to save the change.

Note that in step 3 if you already have a set of domain names configured, add that ".intellitxt.com" to the list by separating it with a comma.

AND THAT'S IT! That wasn't so hard was it?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 10-15-05 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-15-05, 06:42 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post!
Old 10-15-05, 06:46 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I also use firefox and use a plug in called Adblock. I opened Adblock up and blocked every instance of intellitxt.com.

Seems to work for now.
Old 10-15-05, 06:49 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by verylost
I also use firefox and use a plug in called Adblock. I opened Adblock up and blocked every instance of intellitxt.com.

Seems to work for now.
How do you get that plugin?
Old 10-15-05, 07:05 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Incendiary
How do you get that plugin?
Tools > Extensions > Get more Extensions
Old 10-15-05, 07:26 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Tools > Extensions > Get more Extensions
Thanks.
Old 10-15-05, 08:45 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Xero, the .intellitxt.com thing for mozilla tip didn't work for me...
Old 10-15-05, 12:20 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Seems to work for now.
Nice! Now that's properly blocking for dummies.
Old 10-15-05, 12:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Xero, the .intellitxt.com thing for mozilla tip didn't work for me...
Notice that I have divided the solutions according to whether or not your browser is set with an HTTP proxy server. In most cases you're not, so please try my solution #1 (where an HTTP proxy server is not used) first.
Old 10-15-05, 06:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
OK so I finally grew tired of not only the green links but also the sizable tooltips that pop out whenever my mouse cursor accidentally rolls over those links. I decided to investigate the "technologies" behind it a little bit. And just as I thought, it uses some cheapo JavaScript from a 3rd-party website (i.e. non-ClubLexus.com site) rather than a harder-to-defeat server-side-include script (i.e. making the green links part of the ClubLexus.com's content). So the "fix" is as easy as follows:

If you DO NOT connect to the Internet via an HTTP proxy server: (Try this first if you don't know what an HTTP proxy server is.)
1. Launch Notepad (in Start -> Programs -> Accessories).
2. Click File -> Open.
3. Change your current folder to the following depending on the Windows OS you're running:
Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS
4. Open the file named "HOSTS" (note that you may need to change the "Files of type:" to "All Files" first).
5. Add the following line to the end of the file:
127.0.0.1 clublexus.us.intellitxt.com
6. Click File -> Save to save the change.

Note that if the file "HOSTS" doesn't already exist, create one, with just the single line shown in step 5.

If you connect to the Internet via an HTTP proxy server:
In Internet Explorer:
1. Click Tools -> Internet Options to open the Internet Options dialog box.
2. Click on the Connections tab.
3. Click LAN Settings...
4. In the Proxy server box, click Advanced.
5. In the Exceptions box, put:
*.intellitxt.com
6. Click OK and OK again to save the change.

Note that in step 5 if you already have a set of domain names configured, add that "*.intellitxt.com" to the list by separating it with a semicolon.

In Firefox/Mozilla:
1. Click Tools -> Options to open the Options dialog box.
2. Click General -> Connection Settings.
3. In the "No Proxy for:" box, put:
.intellitxt.com
4. Click OK and OK again to save the change.

Note that in step 3 if you already have a set of domain names configured, add that ".intellitxt.com" to the list by separating it with a comma.

AND THAT'S IT! That wasn't so hard was it?
Damn man - u go!! Awesome!! However, I need help. I am using ME and I do not have the Host file. Where do I go to create it?

Jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 10-15-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 01:47 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Damn man - u go!! Awesome!! However, I need help. I am using ME and I do not have the Host file. Where do I go to create it?

Jonny
Just switch over to Mozilla Firefox. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
For now, it is slightly more secure and with a few clicks, I can block most of the crap on the internet.
Old 10-16-05, 04:20 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
Create a new text file with Notepad or some other text editor an save it under C:\windows as Hosts with no extension.
Old 10-16-05, 09:13 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

AWESOME! not only did i find out what's going on, but a way to block it. i know what they're trying to accomplish with this, but i really feel they are going about it the wrong way.
Old 10-16-05, 09:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by adidosc
i know what they're trying to accomplish with this, but i really feel they are going about it the wrong way.
Just out of curiousity, what do you think is 'the right way'? I don't like advertisements either but I can look over these pretty easily if I don't want to see what's being sold. Its a 30 day trial and if the results aren't positive enough we'll ditch it.

I'd personally prefer to have a donation option to help defray the costs that aren't covered by other sponsors, but if it works like it did last time Ethan did that, the donations are pretty good at first but don't stay that way for long and trail off pretty quickly.
Old 10-17-05, 09:18 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Just out of curiousity, what do you think is 'the right way'? I don't like advertisements either but I can look over these pretty easily if I don't want to see what's being sold. Its a 30 day trial and if the results aren't positive enough we'll ditch it.

I'd personally prefer to have a donation option to help defray the costs that aren't covered by other sponsors, but if it works like it did last time Ethan did that, the donations are pretty good at first but don't stay that way for long and trail off pretty quickly.
can't say i have the answer to that one. although, i do like the idea of it being limited to certain areas of CL. i'd be okay with that. as for what would work the best (if the underline thing didn't work out), i just don't know. i haven't worked with advertising much online so i can't say i know the pros and cons of any one system, i just know my own personal feelings didn't really like the underlining of all sorts of stuff on the forums. like i said, i know what it's trying to accomplish, but i think if it was changed (like the only certain parts of the forum idea) or something like that, it could work. may take some time to tweak it and work with things to get the results, but we'll get there. just givin my own opinion on how the new system struck me.

Quick Reply: Anyone else getting certain words linked? (merged threads)