Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Any issues with the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 05:26 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abboushi
it doesn't save th log in it kicks you off and i have to sign in every time i come back on.
Having the same problem... I feel your pain abboushi... So much unnecessary typing.
Old 12-20-04, 05:27 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
Mine's not doing that anymore seems fine now
Well mine still seems unchanged.
Old 12-20-04, 06:44 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How can I make the thread fonts larger?

I tried making them larger within IE and that did not work.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-04, 08:04 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Stole my santa eh?

It wasn't me!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think I fixed this as well, please try it.
Thanks, it works. Now I just have to find a new avatar!
Old 12-20-04, 09:13 PM
spinaltoad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've changed a couple of things. Please let me know if you see an impovement in speed. I will tune the database settings later on tonight. This will require shutting down the boards for 5~10 minutes. I will have to reload apache with the new settings, 1~3 minutes. Then I will optimise and all the tables, 5~7 minutes.
Old 12-20-04, 09:19 PM
Koma

spinaltoad:
Any update on the auto sign on with cookies enabled?
I cleared my cookies, so there shouldn't be issues with old cookies.
Old 12-20-04, 09:35 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks and congrats to Ethan, Dave, SpinalToad and the entire upgrade team!

Looks good so far, although I also look forward to larger fonts and storable passwords.

The email notifications of new posts now work like they used to, arriving just after a new post appears. That's how it always used to be, but I had not seen that for the past 6 months or so. I also notice the email now contains the text of the new post! You can read the latest post without "bothering" to visit the actual thread. While this is good news, there's one problem:

If you just read the text in the email and don't visit the thread (why bother, right?), then vBulletin won't notify you when the next post appears. You have to visit the thread to get "reactivated" (it says so in the notification email). So, being able to read the new post in the notification emails is an improvement, but it would be a more appreciable improvement if vBulletin allowed the option of notifying you when each successive post appears.

Then you have the option of following a thread in your emails. Yes, you'd get more emails, but in most cases I'd prefer that over having to visit the threads (sorry to say, but sometimes the replies are not worthy of much attention, ya know?). I could always disable the "send emails on each new post" option if I felt I got too many emails.

Alas, it's all a moot point since I don't see that option available, anyway.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-20-04 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 09:36 PM
spinaltoad
Driver

No such thing as auto sign on. Before, the cookies would not become invalide when you internet session was terminated, usually be closing internet explorer or Mozilla. It is possible to give cookies an unlimited life time, and make them valid even after you restart your web browser. But, there are certain security aspects to consider. Any web site can read your cookie. There are also those who check the site on public computers, if the perpetual cookies were enabled, these users would have to remember to clear their cookies everytime they stopped using the computer.

This is not my call to make. Ethan will have to make this call.

PS, Yes, I am the one that has that holds all the keys to site.

Last edited by spinaltoad; 12-20-04 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 09:46 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by spinaltoad
No such thing as auto sign on. Before, the cookies would not become invalide when you internet session was terminated, usually be closing internet explorer or Mozilla. It is possible to give cookies an unlimited life time, and make them valid even after you restart your web browser. But, there are certain security aspects to consider. Any web site can read your cookie. There are also those who check the site on public computers, if the perpetual cookies were enabled, these users would have to remember to clear their cookies everytime they stopped using the computer.

Todd, what you describe is how CL used to function under the old version, right? On my home (non public) machine I did not log out and my cookies did not expire.
Old 12-20-04, 09:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Dave, we need larger avatars!!!.... keep the file size limit at 20kb, or 10kb even, but the dimensions could easily be 150x150 without impeding any form or function of the forum. I've found that the larger the avatars, the more enjoyable it is for people to sift through threads and the more personal the interaction is. 75x75 is so 2001-ish... at least 100x100

Oh yeah, and on a sidenote, the smilies on CL seem very random and confused... the smilie index uses about 4 or 5 different variations of smilie styles. Some of the smilies I wonder why we even have on the forum. For instance: -- why do we have it, and why is it one of the main 15 smilies? Anyway, it'd be much better to use one single uniform style of smilies, just for cohesiveness.
Old 12-20-04, 10:37 PM
Koma

Well you understood what I meant. That's what I was trying to ask. Wasn't there an option before where there was a checkbox for the remember my password type deal? I think that should solve the issue of public computer usage. The security issue... I have no idea, I'll let you CL Elite decide. I'd just rather not have to type my logon/password everytime I come to read CL. Or at least have it know my logon so I'll only have to type a password.
Whatever happens let us know, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-04, 10:52 PM
apc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Recieved this error when going from linear mode to hybrid mode.

I've tried it and it seems okay. Can you try it again to see?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 12-21-04, 05:19 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Site is running super slow this morning. Literally taking a minute or two just to pull up a page, and that's with Broadband!
Old 12-21-04, 10:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by apc
I've tried it and it seems okay. Can you try it again to see?

Thanks,

Alex
fixed (but slow as you know what)
Old 12-21-04, 10:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

i understand what you are saying, but i cannot even go to another site and come back without having to re-log in if i boot a second window to get back here

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-21-04 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Any issues with the upgrade?