Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

The Ten Commandments of Discussion Forum Behavior

Old 11-26-04, 05:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, I do have 1 problem with quoting. When peopel quote the SAME PICS!! Especially when there are 7 linked pics and they are all quoted and diplayed again! Take the pics out the quote please.
I totally agree with this. The only time I can see this happening is if there is a question about a specific pic or subset of pics. Otherwise, I think the text is sufficient.
Old 11-27-04, 06:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Okay, I do have 1 problem with quoting. When peopel quote the SAME PICS!! Especially when there are 7 linked pics and they are all quoted and diplayed again! Take the pics out the quote please.
I think I usually delete the pics & the unnecessary text.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-27-04 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-27-04, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by SexySC
I think I usually delete the pics & the unnecessary text.
Sexy, I was not talking about you at all. I like your posts. And avatar
Old 11-29-04, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I admit I have been guilty of this on a couple of occasions....but not intentionally. I'm not as computer-saavy as some of you guys, and have not figured out a system as advanced as you guys have for customizing, posting, deleting parts of stuff, etc..... I can stripe-delete stuff, but that's about it.
Old 12-12-04, 05:07 AM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Ten Commandments of Discussion Forum Behavior

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Well, if there was any question that I have too much time on my hands, here's my own set of the "Ten Commandments of Discussion Forum Behavior" to remove any doubt.

1) Use the "Search" Function, so you don't post a question that's already been answered. Repeatedly.

2) Don't title your thread "I have a question" or "Please Help" or something equally insipid. We're all looking for help. If you really want some help, how about being more descriptive in your thread title, so we know what sort of help you need? The "Subject:" field is 85 characters long- use it.

8) This is a discussion forum, not a cell phone text messaging session. Therefore, "you" is not spelled "U".

Interestingly, I see a correlation between breakers of rules 1,2, and 8 on nearly every message board I frequent. People who are too lazy to search and who have no regard for capitalization and spelling, typically fail to grasp how annoying thread titles such as "what should i do" are to the reader. This is particularly odd to me on a Lexus board, where presumably, people take pride in their car, but fail to care that they come across as a middle school dropout. While I'm at it, I'll ad rule #11:

11) Learn the difference between:

"your" and "you're"
"there," "their," and "they're"
"brakes" and "breaks"

Now, if the poster's native language isn't English, the rules don't apply. I do find that 99% of the time, the non-native English speakers give more respect to the English language than many English-only speakers.

BTW, nothing I've mentioned requires a person to be "computer-savvy." They're common sense plus an education that should have been received before the need to post questions on an automotive forum.

Thanks for the space, Perry. I hope you don't mind my addition.

Last edited by mikee72; 12-12-04 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 02:12 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Like I said, this is a work in progress. I don't think I'll get much flack on #1, #2 and #3, but I'm not quite sure #4, #5 and #8 occur often enough to warrant a place on the list. And I'm sure I'll soon get some responses about stuff I missed, or how wrong I am about this rule or that rule, or where I should shove my spark plug socket. That's OK- I can take it (the criticism, that is, not the socket).
"Flack" is actually spelled "flak.". So there. And here's a daggone smiley for ya.
Old 01-11-05, 02:26 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default haha...I'll let "u" slide on the "ya", but....

Originally Posted by engin_ear
...here's a daggone smiley for ya...
...you do know there's no "a" in doggone, right?

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-11-05 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-11-05, 02:33 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
...and you do know there's no "a" in doggone, right?
It's a colloquial term only East Coast people know.
Old 01-12-05, 11:20 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the quoting concept here and those that talk about needing to be computer savvy.

When you quote someone

1) you can delete one letter or the whole piece that you are quoting and you can do it in any size segment that you want. It is just like editing a letter in word processing.

2) you can copy (Ctrl C) the opening [quote] and closing [quote] in order to highlight more than one specific sentence or paragraph in order to comment on different parts of a quote. This allows you to respond to a specific item and then move on to the next one so that people know which of your responses relate to which comment made by the poster that you are quoting.

3) You can quote more than one person's post in a single reply by clicking the quote button for the 1st post that you want to respond to. Highlight the whole message when it comes up in the reply box and Ctrl C, then use the back key to go back to the thread and then hit the quote button on the 2nd post that you want to reply to. Once the reply box comes up with this quote you can then Ctrl V and place the 1st post in this same box and then edit away.

Anyway, just some tips for those that weren't aware that this could be done.