Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

When will it end

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 12:55 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When will it end

Okay guys don't turn this into a big deal but I just can't keep looking at it with out saying something. No I am not whining and no I am not trying to start something but as a minority I felt I had to voice my opinion.
:chase:

Whats up with the cops chasing the "brown" figure with their nite sticks out???? And why does he have the "Sambo" eyes????

I really don't know how I should write this, but come on guys couldn't he have been red, or blue, or even yellow? Any stupid color that didn't show race. Why brown? If you look at it it looks like four cops getting ready to kick the ***** out of a black guy.

I know this could be perceived as an innocent man running for his life, or how crooked cops can be, but when I see it I see a stereotype. Black criminal being chased by the police.

I know must of the people here at CL are probably great people, and I am not calling anyone hear or accusing any one of being racist and I have know clue who picks or creates these little figuers, but does any one else see my point and understand it?

I might be making a big deal out of nothing. Please share your thoughts as I would really love to hear them. That is one reason I love this site, for its diversity and openess.

Again I say to the moderators. My intention for this thread is not to start conflict as we are all adults and should be able to carry on a decent converstation with out conflicts. No one should take this as an attack, as I didn;t for the little cartoon. I just wanted to talk to you guys about it. So here we go
Old 02-29-04, 01:31 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a plus

im just asking

but are you "reaching" with this observation

i think you know that CL is anyting but racist

and by the way it looks more like me in the summer

than what you may be implying

:chase:

Last edited by T.L.W.; 02-29-04 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-29-04, 01:45 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The real question is would anyone ever need to use such an emoticon in their posts? It doesn't convey any common expression used in discussion. I think someone added it to the list because they thought it looked funny, not realizing that it probably served no other purpose other than looking funny in the list.

Is it racist? Well there isn't a question in my mind that the designer of the graphic specifically selected that color to show a black man running from cops trying to beat him. I mean that concept isn't all that great of a stretch in America! I think it's an even greater stretch to suggest that brown was a randomly selected color---with no racial undertones implied---for the suspect in the graphic.
Old 02-29-04, 04:35 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can look at the toon from several perspectives...

1. the brown figure represents a black person, black people are always criminals.

2. the cops have nothing better to do than to harrass black people. it takes 4 white cops just to chase one black person who has done nothing wrong.

3. it is just a toon...without any intentions.

so is the toon making fun of black race or making fun of lazy donut eating white cops?
Old 02-29-04, 07:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Aplus,

No problem with bringing this up. Some new smileys were added and I'm sure that it was quick selection of available icons from some collection that was available - no one on CL actually designed the smiley.

I honestly never even noticed the icon until another moderator pointed it out in response to a thread where I'd asked for opinions on a borderline racial comment.

Other moderators who are also minorities commented that it didn't bother them and they thought it was humorus and not offensive. We pretty much dropped the conversation at that point.

Since you find it offensive I've asked that it either simply be removed or the guy being chased be turned into some non-naturally occuring color. I don't have access or tools to change these items or I'd go ahead and pull it right now.

Apologies for the offense, be assured it was not intentional.
Old 03-01-04, 10:54 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Wasn't trying to call any one racist or inply the person who created was racist. I am just saying that that cartoon could be perceived many different ways.

GENEARCH
Come on man are you for real. I fyou would have red my post I said
I know must of the people here at CL are probably great people, and I am not calling anyone hear or accusing any one of being racist and I have know clue who picks or creates these little figuers, but does any one else see my point and understand it?
Or
I might be making a big deal out of nothing
Or
Again I say to the moderators. My intention for this thread is not to start conflict as we are all adults and should be able to carry on a decent converstation with out conflicts. No one should take this as an attack, as I didn;t for the little cartoon

As for the little red dude dancing, I guess your implying you don't like it? Bring it up and speak your mind if it bothers you. I hope your just not saying it to be a smarty pants.
By the way guys I consulted with all my co-workers before I started this thread, and their all White or (2) Asian, couple Black. They insisted I start it. Sorry guys If I caused some drama as I am one who really stays to himself and try's not to start to much drama. Grew out of it.
Old 03-01-04, 11:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys, the smiley that was potentially offensive has been removed and we don't need to continue to discuss it any longer.

To answer the question posed in the thread title "When will it end"? The answer is now.

This thread is closed

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-01-04 at 11:22 AM.