RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Life of TPMS sensor - fwiw

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 09:06 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Life of TPMS sensor - fwiw

I have a 2009RX350 with 53K miles (purchased Feb 2009, built Jun 2008 in Canada). My first TPMS sensor 'went', had to change it last week. I was told that two or three others were likely to 'go' soon - it took a little while for those sensors to register their signal with the sanner, supposedly a sign of weaker battery nearing the end of its life.
In summary, the life of my sensors has been 8.5 years and +. This is exactly the middle of what I had elsewhere regarding a life estimated at 7 to 10 years. I can't complain but still not too happy at spending the money in the middle of the life of my second set of tires.
I hope this helps someone contemplating a tire change when teh sensors are 8.5 to 9 years old. Change your sensors with your tires!
Old 03-29-17, 03:54 AM
sladerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get oem type sensors, or the reprogrammable (and cheaper) aftermarket ones? I'm just waiting for new tires in a few thousand miles before i do mine.
Old 03-29-17, 08:06 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

I went to Costco - $63.11 incl. installation, balancing of wheel and whatever programming was needed. A tire place ("Tires Plus") told me the sensor itself cost $142. I didn't ask how much they would charge for installation. On-line, sensors could be had for $30-40 (and, of course, more for some) if I remember correctly.
Old 03-29-17, 03:21 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discount Tire replaced mine on another vehicle recently, $60 each plus tax. 10 years old.
Old 03-29-17, 04:29 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just had 2 go on my 07; 75k miles. Dealer wanted 200$ each + labor, lol. I told them I would have to go to Discount so it would be reasonable. Service manager from dealer came back 125$ for both installed; which I did.
Old 04-02-17, 03:50 PM
thezinfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

I just had my 5 tpms's replaced at Costco, but they can't get the light to go out. Have reset the system, checked all 5 tires (30 psi). Any suggestions?

Larry
Old 04-02-17, 04:03 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thezinfan
Paul,

I just had my 5 tpms's replaced at Costco, but they can't get the light to go out. Have reset the system, checked all 5 tires (30 psi). Any suggestions?

Larry
Looks like the new sensors need to be registered with your ECU, which will require access to Techstream. If you don't have access, take it to the dealer, should be about .5hrs labor (around 75$). Here's a link to the official Lexus TPMS procedure that they will perform to register the new sensors to your ECU.
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=148107
Old 04-03-17, 09:34 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thezinfan
Paul,

Larry
I wish I could help, but all I did was take my car in; they replaced the sensor, told me the light is out (which it was) and that some other sensors would soon fail (in their estiimate). I drove off without further ado. I assume they used the right sensors for you - they had to order mine - which 'fir' my model. Sorry! But I wish you good luck: I am sure other people on this forum can help and the subject affects more than just Lexus cars.
Old 04-03-17, 09:36 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Looks like the new sensors need to be registered with your ECU, which will require access to Techstream. If you don't have access, take it to the dealer, should be about .5hrs labor (around 75$). Here's a link to the official Lexus TPMS procedure that they will perform to register the new sensors to your ECU.
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=148107
(Continued). Larry: The people at Costco told em the price included installation etc.. ad also the registration. - FYI
Old 04-04-17, 03:25 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pauljcl
(Continued). Larry: The people at Costco told em the price included installation etc.. ad also the registration. - FYI
Um yeah, ok, Costco can say whatever they want but if they don't have access to Techstream, they will have problems with registration to the ECU and Initialization.
Old 04-04-17, 09:04 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Um yeah, ok, Costco can say whatever they want but if they don't have access to Techstream, they will have problems with registration to the ECU and Initialization.
I'll have to disagree with this, because I have access to techstream while my buddy at Firestone doesn't. Just had some new rubber thrown on my 330 and one dying sensor replaced (which I checked with techstream before handing it off). Whatever they use programmed it fine and works with no issues. Same with my Camry and a fleet of toyota's I bring to him. You don't need techstream for everything, although it is very streamlined. All cars need to be OBD2 compliant for these reasons. Heck, on another RX330 I maintain where the owner lots all keys, a locksmith programmed 2 master keys without techstream or the dealer or a master key in front of me which I thought was impossible (you can't even do this with techstream so I know it wasn't techstream). Goes to show there are non-Toyota software equivalents for everything.
Old 04-05-17, 12:56 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I'll have to disagree with this, because I have access to techstream while my buddy at Firestone doesn't. Just had some new rubber thrown on my 330 and one dying sensor replaced (which I checked with techstream before handing it off). Whatever they use programmed it fine and works with no issues. Same with my Camry and a fleet of toyota's I bring to him. You don't need techstream for everything, although it is very streamlined. All cars need to be OBD2 compliant for these reasons. Heck, on another RX330 I maintain where the owner lots all keys, a locksmith programmed 2 master keys without techstream or the dealer or a master key in front of me which I thought was impossible (you can't even do this with techstream so I know it wasn't techstream). Goes to show there are non-Toyota software equivalents for everything.
True, system should be universal. I had two go on mine though and they "lost signal with ecu" Could not get new ones to register and had to take to dealer. Just my experience.
Old 04-05-17, 01:15 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

True, system should be universal. I had two go on mine though and they "lost signal with ecu" Could not get new ones to register and had to take to dealer. Just my experience.
Interesting, did you buy Denso sensors or aftermarkets? The single I have is aftermarket, hope it holds up. I can easily program it if issues arise but I didn't write down the ID number.....
Old 04-05-17, 02:01 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

A few days after having tires installed at local shop, light came on steady, not blinking. Local shop said two needed replaced when I took it back to them. I searched here and elsewhere online, and found that light should flash when they die, not stay solid. They wanted to replace two. I said no and set up appointment with dealer. Dealer confirmed two were dying but also said that initialization wasn't correct and all had "lost signal with ecu". Dealer installed two new and reset system with techstream, which they provided me a print out of.
The following users liked this post:
Lexuswiz (04-05-17)
Old 04-05-17, 02:03 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Sorry, I mis spoke before, new tires, not sensors until dealer replaced.

Quick Reply: Life of TPMS sensor - fwiw