LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Questions with purchase of LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 07:28 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Questions with purchase of LS430

I purchased a ’04 LS430 with 112K from a friend who was the original owner right at 2 years ago and I have really enjoyed the car. Unfortunate for me I got caught in a major hail storm 2 days ago that had baseball sized hail. I don’t thinking there is a body panel on the whole car that isn’t riddled with dents and my sunroof got taken out as well. I have an adjuster scheduled for next week but I’m afraid they are going to total the car based on the current mileage (134k) and the value versus cost to repair.

So, I’m starting to look around for another LS just in case and I’ve come across a couple questions.

1. How can I tell if the car is UL version? I don’t think I want to buy a UL and have to deal with the expensive suspension if it goes out.

2. I saw a ’05 and on the fender it had a “Sport Suspension” emblem. What features does that add and is that going to be a potential problem?

3. Although I would rather pay cash for the car so I don’t have a car payment, those that have had a LS460, is it worth spending the extra approximately $6k -$8k to move up to that version?
Old 03-28-17, 07:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I purchased a ’04 LS430 with 112K from a friend who was the original owner right at 2 years ago and I have really enjoyed the car. Unfortunate for me I got caught in a major hail storm 2 days ago that had baseball sized hail. I don’t thinking there is a body panel on the whole car that isn’t riddled with dents and my sunroof got taken out as well. I have an adjuster scheduled for next week but I’m afraid they are going to total the car based on the current mileage (134k) and the value versus cost to repair.

So, I’m starting to look around for another LS just in case and I’ve come across a couple questions.

1. How can I tell if the car is UL version? I don’t think I want to buy a UL and have to deal with the expensive suspension if it goes out.

2. I saw a ’05 and on the fender it had a “Sport Suspension” emblem. What features does that add and is that going to be a potential problem?

3. Although I would rather pay cash for the car so I don’t have a car payment, those that have had a LS460, is it worth spending the extra approximately $6k -$8k to move up to that version?
Sorry to hear about the hail, I have never had damage but have been concerned when it started to fall.....

The UL has two extra buttons that have ride height on the center stack, left of the ashtray...sport/norm, high/norm, then the center rear armrest has more controls...rear ac, purifier, etc.

For me, Sport Suspension is desirable, and actually its components (shocks) are cheaper, it was a very cheap option back in the day but seems like the typical buyer would not want it, thus it's rare, no disadvantages....

I agree with the cash strategy, why pay on a loan on a 11 y.o. car....can't answer if a 460 is a better bet. Someone recently got one and did extensive research, think it was a '11 or '12 to clear any known issues? Will look for the thread....

Good luck...

edit: here is the thread, it was a '10 LS460, I believe the OP put a lot of research into it, maybe it is worth the delta, but like you mentioned, I'd want to pay the delta in cash, no financing allowed in my household...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...a-10-460l.html

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-28-17 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
caverman (03-28-17)
Old 03-28-17, 08:09 AM
caverman
Instructor

Thanks for the link for the other post.

Yeah, I'm really bummed about the car. It's a really good car and I know the original owner and all the history. It was completely serviced by Lexus while he had it and I've only had to do real basic stuff like oil changes and new brakes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't total it so I can get it fixed. I have a paint & body guy I know will make it nicer than it was.

After looking over that article you sent, I think the LS460 will probably be out for me right now just for the cost of it. It sounds like I would really need to look for an 2010+ and those are going to put me back into having a payment. I'm happy with the LS430 and I just need to find one that is in as good of a shape as the one I had.
Old 03-28-17, 08:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Good luck, I think the advantage of the LS430 is it's not something the average person wants, so they are available...I always use the example, would you like a 2006 LS430 with 80k miles, or a 2014 (not 2014.5 it changed mid year), certified pre-owned Camry, with 35k miles? The conventional wisdom says get the Camry, you're done for 10-15 years on your car requirements....

I suppose to us, we respect that this car was the flagship when it was built, and appreciate it for what it is....and is not....if life didn't have limited resources, I'd be behind the wheel of a 2014 CPO Audi A8L, the thing does 0-60 in 3.9. Talk about a sleeper? But repairs come along with that car....

Keep us posted! I like to browse cars.com, I think the other one is cargurus.com....and I would prefer buying from a new car dealer as opposed to a used car dealer, and I swear I'll work the timing belt and LCA bushings into the deal....(easier said than done esp. on the latter)...
Old 03-28-17, 08:28 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Keep us posted on what you find. There are a good number of decent cars out there. My 2005 came out of the Dallas area.
Old 03-28-17, 09:13 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Good luck, I think the advantage of the LS430 is it's not something the average person wants, so they are available...I always use the example, would you like a 2006 LS430 with 80k miles, or a 2014 (not 2014.5 it changed mid year), certified pre-owned Camry, with 35k miles? The conventional wisdom says get the Camry, you're done for 10-15 years on your car requirements....

I suppose to us, we respect that this car was the flagship when it was built, and appreciate it for what it is....and is not....if life didn't have limited resources, I'd be behind the wheel of a 2014 CPO Audi A8L, the thing does 0-60 in 3.9. Talk about a sleeper? But repairs come along with that car....

Keep us posted! I like to browse cars.com, I think the other one is cargurus.com....and I would prefer buying from a new car dealer as opposed to a used car dealer, and I swear I'll work the timing belt and LCA bushings into the deal....(easier said than done esp. on the latter)...
Yes, after owning one I would much rather have an older LS vs a new Camry. I'm 6' 6" and 300 lbs. This is one of the only cars I've owned that I can comfortably drive with 3 other adult passengers in the car. I don't even have to move my seat up. I can't imagine having the room of a 460L.

On a side note, the guy I bought my LS from sold his 50 acre property to Toyota and which is only about a mile from my house. They just finished putting a corporate test track on the property. It's a privately owned track that Toyota plans as a corporate retreat for executives and vendors once they move to Plano (just outside of Dallas). You can't see it from the road because of the high fencing they put around the property but I've seen aerial shots and it has a killer straight away and some nice curves. My wife works for the company that maintains their pools and she happened to go to the house a few months back. From the best she could describe of the cars that were parked ready for the track was a Tesla, Lexus RC, and then new Lexus LC500. I can't imagine how cool it would be to run that LC500 on that track.
Old 03-28-17, 09:17 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Sports Suspension means stiffer struts and a thicker rear sway bar. Your 04 has the standard suspension which is pretty soft. With SS, you'll get what I call "luxury firm". There's noticeably less body roll in corners and on highway on/off ramps. Still very comfortable but there will be some road feedback. It's a more "active" ride. Bumps are slightly louder. Google "LS430 Sports Suspension" for more feedback. Sorry to hear about the damage. Good luck w the insurance settlement.
Old 03-28-17, 09:31 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Sports Suspension means stiffer struts and a thicker rear sway bar. Your 04 has the standard suspension which is pretty soft. With SS, you'll get what I call "luxury firm". There's noticeably less body roll in corners and on highway on/off ramps. Still very comfortable but there will be some road feedback. It's a more "active" ride. Bumps are slightly louder. Google "LS430 Sports Suspension" for more feedback. Sorry to hear about the damage. Good luck w the insurance settlement.
Thanks.
I see you have a Cypress Pearl LS. I just came across an '05 in that color with chrome wheels about an hour away from me. I currently have a Silver LS but that Cypress Pearl looks pretty good in the pictures. I might have to go check that one out if I have to go look for another LS.
Old 03-28-17, 09:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

If at all possible, I would like to get a Custom Luxury....because I don't think these make any difference in the price.....that one gets the headlight washers and laser cruise, so the fact that you have a headlight washer button on the dash, and it's not an ultra luxury, tells you it's a CL....then it would have laminated side glass....that's me....and then I think I do not want that pre collision which has a sensor in the grille, again, just me...

Mercury (silver) with the gray (ash?) interior and 18's would be my choice....
Old 03-28-17, 10:11 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

What I like about the Cypress (and other speciality colors) is that the car looks newer. Cypress w/ chrome wheels is a great combo. Understated color w/ some flash. Briarwood, Onyx Blue and Gray all work well too.

It took a couple of months to get used to the Sports Suspension. Didn't feel as "luxurious" as my 01 (standard). Now I see it as a good combination. Super comfortable on the freeway and any smooth road. More stable on freeway ramps and corners. Much better at higher speeds.
Old 03-28-17, 10:22 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If at all possible, I would like to get a Custom Luxury....because I don't think these make any difference in the price.....that one gets the headlight washers and laser cruise, so the fact that you have a headlight washer button on the dash, and it's not an ultra luxury, tells you it's a CL....then it would have laminated side glass....that's me....and then I think I do not want that pre collision which has a sensor in the grille, again, just me...

Mercury (silver) with the gray (ash?) interior and 18's would be my choice....
I've never seen a Custom Luxury listed for sale. At this level, the UL is the obvious choice. Lexus was way ahead of the times w/ the innovative features. Rumor is that there was even a very limited edition Mega Luxury (MeL) self driver........
Old 03-28-17, 10:37 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

been thinking about trading my car for a silver 07 LS460 in Garland. 110,000 miles and loaded. seems like a good buy. might be worth a look
Old 03-28-17, 10:42 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
been thinking about trading my car for a silver 07 LS460 in Garland. 110,000 miles and loaded. seems like a good buy. might be worth a look
Local dealer offered me 6k for a perfect 01 w/ low miles. If you consider a dealer trade in, I'm curious what they'll offer. Where in Texas? Wait, my wife will kill me if I buy another LS. I'd have to park it somewhere else
Old 03-28-17, 11:07 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
Do you have a link? Is it this one: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=167293820

From what I've been reading though, most recommend staying away from the first year model. I also thought I read where the 2007 had a front suspension design flaw.

Last edited by caverman; 03-28-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 11:09 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I've never seen a Custom Luxury listed for sale. At this level, the UL is the obvious choice. Lexus was way ahead of the times w/ the innovative features. Rumor is that there was even a very limited edition Mega Luxury (MeL) self driver........
I've found a UL within a reasonable drive. Looks like nice and in good condition but I'm scared of the suspension on the UL. I remember reading where it isn't uncommon for them to go out and it's a real pricey fix.

Quick Reply: Questions with purchase of LS430