SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New T56 Magnum Swap Kit for the SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 10:20 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New T56 Magnum Swap Kit for the SC300

Been waiting for this for a looooooooooooooooong time! Definitely getting on this:

https://www.grannasracing.com/blogs/...56-magnum-swap

Thanks Joel!
The following users liked this post:
Niawst (04-17-17)
Old 03-27-17, 12:31 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

good to know! those sure are some pricey transmissions
Old 03-27-17, 04:11 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I'm loving how our community is putting out these new innovations
Old 03-27-17, 04:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
Pricey but... the T56 Magnum is brand new and overbuilt internally just like the Tremec TR6060 used in the Shelby GT500, Dodge Viper, Cadillac ATS-V and old CTS-V, Camaro SS (and variants), and several other serious OEM high performance RWD's.

When these things are rated for 700ft-lbs of constant (not peak) torque in standard spec you have one of the best rear-drive transmissions currently available for just about any longitudinal application. The T56 Magnum has popular bolt-in conversion kits for many classic 60's and 70's muscle cars also since collectors are loathe to damage their increasingly rare 4-speeds that are no longer king of the hill when pushed with modern very high horsepower engine builds.

To me that means that sales and support for this gearbox isn't going anywhere for a long time and that is very good for the Supra, SC, IS and GS community
jadu (03-28-17)
Old 03-27-17, 05:03 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OOooooooO, I may keep the SC after all.
Old 03-27-17, 08:15 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jadu
Honestly though jadu, a Tremec T56 Magnum retails for about $3k on average....and considering it is as capable (if not more capable) than a $9k used V160, I'd say that's a steal!

Originally Posted by kez
Wow I'm loving how our community is putting out these new innovations
Yeah, same here...I'm definitely seeing alot more SC300 goodies coming out on the market. I guess more and more aftermarket companies saw the similarities between the Supra and the SC300 (not to mention the shortage of Supra's and the amazing potential of the 2JZ) and are jumping on the Lexus band-wagon.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Pricey but... the T56 Magnum is brand new and overbuilt internally just like the Tremec TR6060 used in the Shelby GT500, Dodge Viper, Cadillac ATS-V and old CTS-V, Camaro SS (and variants), and several other serious OEM high performance RWD's.

When these things are rated for 700ft-lbs of constant (not peak) torque in standard spec you have one of the best rear-drive transmissions currently available for just about any longitudinal application. The T56 Magnum has popular bolt-in conversion kits for many classic 60's and 70's muscle cars also since collectors are loathe to damage their increasingly rare 4-speeds that are no longer king of the hill when pushed with modern very high horsepower engine builds.

To me that means that sales and support for this gearbox isn't going anywhere for a long time and that is very good for the Supra, SC, IS and GS community
Khan, I agree...these transmissions are BEASTS! Alot of people assume that when someone says "T56 Magnum" that they are referring to the old T56 that came in the F-bodies....not the case....the Magnums are ridiculously strong. Like you mentioned, they come in almost all domestic and some foreign high-powered sports cars today. Joel Grannas of Grannas Racing has years of experience with the 2JZ platform, and the guy has run countless passes with 1000HP Supra's on these transmissions with no issues.

Originally Posted by SC2JZ300
OOooooooO, I may keep the SC after all.
Keep it! These cars are going to be in high demand in the near future....especially the 96 and lower because of the emissions exempts ;-). I wouldn't sell it, alot more goodies coming out for this platform for sure.

Last edited by LexIS007; 03-28-17 at 03:53 PM.
jadu (03-28-17)
Old 03-28-17, 12:09 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Should be getting mine completed in a few days....Plan on providing a full writeup on the process
Old 03-28-17, 04:24 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Should be getting mine completed in a few days....Plan on providing a full writeup on the process
^^ I am looking forward to this writeup!! Also in terms of how the VSS signal gets wired in. I am clueless about that aspect and I hope there is a way to do it with hard wiring and a traditional three-wire sensor. We already have the Yellr Yellowbox to over or under correct signals with our factory VSS wiring.

Do you have an opinion so far on the clutch kit that you will use?
Old 03-28-17, 08:20 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

My friend got one of these after destroying his R154 on 2j cressida. Its a nice unit i just dislike the t56 shift feel. Kind of similar to r154. I heard that Ar5 shifts much better.
Old 03-28-17, 04:06 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Yes!!!! Thank you!!! I have yet to see a solid write-up of this transmission install in an SC300....so I'm definitely going to keep your build on the radar. Are you piecing yours together with your own fabricated parts, or a kit? Let me know....im very anxious!

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ I am looking forward to this writeup!! Also in terms of how the VSS signal gets wired in. I am clueless about that aspect and I hope there is a way to do it with hard wiring and a traditional three-wire sensor. We already have the Yellr Yellowbox to over or under correct signals with our factory VSS wiring.

Do you have an opinion so far on the clutch kit that you will use?
Yeah, i was wondering about the VSS signal too. How does this play well with pulse type signaling vs. sine type signaling? I also heard these "newer" version T56 Magnums (2016+) also have a revised reverse lockout? Anyone know if this is true?....and why?

Originally Posted by kitabel
Be careful of the axle ratios.
The T56 Magnum I've seen write-ups on all have significantly taller 1st gear and O/D than the V160/61, and will disappoint if used with the very tall Supra MT axle ratios. Performance from a dead stop will be weak, with a lot of clutch operation required in traffic.
Rough guide: divide 10 by your axle ratio - your 1st gear should be at least this number to have good "manners".
Example: 10 / 3.769:1 (Supra TT auto ratio, common swap for SC300) = 2.65:1, which is one of the T56 choices. However, it means that with an axle taller than 3.769 your 1st gear choice should be higher. Example: 10 / 3.266 (common Supra 6MT ratio) = 3.06 - higher than any T56 option I've seen; be sure to select the 2.97:1 option.
Yup, that's why I'm keeping my stock 5spd rear diff and will install a KAAZ or Cusco LSD. I was initially going to install a SC400 Auto rear end with an aftermarket LSD, but....then I found out from Grannas Racing that 4.08 diff is the sweet spot for this trans...with a LSD of course ;-). It has to be a close ratio version of the T56 Magnum...there are two versions of this transmission.

Originally Posted by MDSC
My friend got one of these after destroying his R154 on 2j cressida. Its a nice unit i just dislike the t56 shift feel. Kind of similar to r154. I heard that Ar5 shifts much better.
I've driven a few cars with this transmission, and honestly....they feel great! You know what gear your going into and no slop at all!! It is notchy, but honestly....what strong transmission isn't??? The V160 was no different, it was notchy too. the BMW Getrag's are good transmissions that are smooth....but only hold 500-600HP (if your lucky i.e., M5, M3's, etc...) before grenading.

Last edited by LexIS007; 03-28-17 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 07:26 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Yes!!!! Thank you!!! I have yet to see a solid write-up of this transmission install in an SC300....so I'm definitely going to keep your build on the radar. Are you piecing yours together with your own fabricated parts, or a kit? Let me know....im very anxious!

Yeah, i was wondering about the VSS signal too. How does this play well with pulse type signaling vs. sine type signaling? I also heard these "newer" version T56 Magnums (2016+) also have a revised reverse lockout? Anyone know if this is true?....and why?

Yup, that's why I'm keeping my stock 5spd rear diff and will install a KAAZ or Cusco LSD. I was initially going to install a SC400 Auto rear end with an aftermarket LSD, but....then I found out from Grannas Racing that 4.08 diff is the sweet spot for this trans...with a LSD of course ;-). It has to be a close ratio version of the T56 Magnum...there are two versions of this transmission.

I've driven a few cars with this transmission, and honestly....they feel great! You know what gear your going into and no slop at all!! It is notchy, but honestly....what strong transmission isn't??? The V160 was no different, it was notchy too. the BMW Getrag's are good transmissions that are smooth....but only hold 500-600HP (if your lucky i.e., M5, M3's, etc...) before grenading.
Now i dont know how A magnum feels i do have plenty of experience with lt1 fbody t56 with some viper internals, also my friends ls1 t56 stock and they shifted like total POS compared to my w58. I did drive one v160 a long time ago and i do remember it being much smoother shifting/less notchy.
Old 03-29-17, 09:41 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
Now i dont know how A magnum feels i do have plenty of experience with lt1 fbody t56 with some viper internals, also my friends ls1 t56 stock and they shifted like total POS compared to my w58. I did drive one v160 a long time ago and i do remember it being much smoother shifting/less notchy.
The standard T56's are junk...I agree. The Magnum's (TR6060's) are different transmissions...they are not just "beefed up T56's." The V160 shifted like a 350Z's CD009 and honestly, I thought that the CD009 was notchy....I know because I owned a 350Z manual car. My cousin's Supra with a V160 felt the same way (at least to me), and my buddies GT500 with a TR6060 felt no different. The only thing I can say in terms of shift feel (compared to the V160 and CD009) is that the Magnum's (TR6060's) have a heavy almost resistant-like-feel to them as you shift from gear to gear (not the same as being notchy)...but always go into gear like swiss watches. Our W58's are like noodles, they wobble and move with finger touch. Again, a T56 Magnum and T56 are NOT the same...no matter what internals you swap in and out. Even the TR6060's are technically different than the Magnums because of oem specific tail/bell housings.

Last edited by LexIS007; 03-29-17 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:02 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely in for the right up, I'm between the cd009 and magnum also
Old 03-30-17, 07:45 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Posted some install pictures up of the swap so far....hoping to get it on the road next week and give my initial impressions on the transmission.

Build thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-build-63.html
Old 04-01-17, 11:31 AM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Been waiting for this for a looooooooooooooooong time! Definitely getting on this:

https://www.grannasracing.com/blogs/...56-magnum-swap

Thanks Joel!
Are you still running the stock engine? couldn't tell from the pics...

Quick Reply: New T56 Magnum Swap Kit for the SC300