LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Sport questions

Old 03-27-17, 09:21 AM
spitfirefd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS460 Sport questions

Hello all,
I am a new Lexus owner and have found this site so far very helpful. I recently purchased a 2000 LS400 for my son. I drove the car and absolutely loved it enough to start looking for a LS for me. I found a 2011 460 sport at my local lexus dealer with 89K miles and in perfect condition. I love this car! I have really never owned a car this nice. The info that this site has given me has opened up my eyes and has also given me more questions. Before this 2011 LS I was driving a 2003 Ford F250 4wd. So any LS.... even a sport model with 19" wheels and low profile stock tires feels like a ultra plush quiet ride. The car has the ML reference sound system in it and I think most ever option other than adaptive cruise control. So my few questions are as follows and I will thank all in advance for any opinions and info that can be given.
1. In 2011 was the air ride system fixed, better, same as in prior years and what are the signs of a failing part?
2. Best tire for the sport for all weather and typical tire longevity?
3. Projected longevity of the engine and any potential design flaw issues?
4. Brakes...(I know there are a few threads on this). average longevity with normal/light driving and pad preference.
Again, thanks for any and all info in advance and, am very happy to be part of the fold.
Jason
Old 03-27-17, 09:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

3. Projected longevity of the engine and any potential design flaw issues?
4. Brakes...(I know there are a few threads on this). average longevity with normal/light driving and pad preference.
Again, thanks for any and all info in advance and, am very happy to be part of the fold.
Right off the hop....WELCOME. You've come to a very friendly and helpful bunch of folks here at CL.

The engines on our LS's are bullet-proof. I have somewhere around 140k miles on mine and so far have only had to replace the water pump, which is the only component that might be considered weak. Cheap to fix though - I replaced mine in about 90 minutes and the part was 50 bucks.

Brakes can be an issue....specifically the rotors if they're factory or a cheap aftermarket brand.They warp. Pads can also be grabby depending on what you use. It appears that we are having great results and performance from Centric Premium. I replaced my pads, rotors and hardware about 6-8 weeks ago and have put several thousand miles on them and they are amazing. No more grab and no warping so far. Several others also made the change with the same results and reviews.

FWIW, my factory pads went 50k miles and when I replaced them, they still had some life left

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-27-17 at 09:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
igrip (08-13-23), spitfirefd (03-27-17)
Old 03-27-17, 12:56 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

As my good friend Chris said, welcome! Based off of what I read, it appears that you have taken the time to read through the forum and had previously been an avid non-member of CL, so im assuming you're aware of what a great place this is.
Secondly, beautiful LS! When you have time, more photos please-we love'em here!! Gotta show it off!
My apologies for having limited knowledge to be able to address all of your questions/concerns, but the engine if effectively 10 MY's old, and there have been very, very few reports of engine issues on the LS in this forum or any other place for that matter. It is arguably the cars strongest feature. Again, as Chris said, assure the water pump is okay and assure its lubricated with (what many of us prefer) TGMO 0w20 FS, the engine is awesome and will go for many, many thousands of miles.
For brakes, again, Chris started a thread speaking about Centrics and what other rotor/pad combos people have used, but given his (Chris') feedback on an older model-'08, and Steve's (SW15LS) feedback on a newer LS-'15, they both love the Centric combo.
Congrats on the new purchase, and don't be a stranger! Great looking LS!
The following users liked this post:
spitfirefd (03-27-17)
Old 03-27-17, 04:10 PM
spitfirefd
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you both so far

Chris,
Thanks for the info so far. I have heard that the engines are pretty bulletproof, and am glad that a water pump replacement doesn't need a loan to do. One other question I have is: Would mine be considered a "f-sport" or just a LS with a sport package?
thanks,
Jason
Old 03-27-17, 05:15 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

There's a thread not too far back where I listed all the '10-'12 Sport details and what sets them apart from the rest of the line up. The 6 piston Brembos our cars run tend to wear faster especially with the high friction pads. There are better aftermarket solutions, pads are shared with the ISF. For tires I'd get General Gmax AS03.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ns-advice.html

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 03-27-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 05:47 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I also have the 2011 sport. It is just LS460 sport. The F sport came in later years.
Usually drive my Tundra or 4Runner. This is my travel or garage queen car with about 40K miles. Even now really nothing out there I can think I would like better.
The sport package it what made it for us. Without the sport package the car had to much of the floating ride for us. Wife could not travel without feeling car sick. I did not care for it either. But with the sport ride it was just enough of a little difference to make it as close to the most perfect car as we could hope for.
Of course no problems yet with the air shocks. And is a little concern of mine as well. But any other luxury car had 10 times more concerns to worry about. And you could expect to pay a lot more for repairs if you plan to keep the car long term like I do.

Brakes can read about here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ee-repair.html

The brembo's do work great but I got tired of so much brake dust. So replaced the pads with the Power Stops. Brembo's just came on the front. I used to get about 4 times more brake dust than the rear brakes. Now with the Power Stops I only get half as much as the rears.

Tires I think it was the Michelin Sport tires I put on mine.
Also owned a LS400 for 10 years never a problem. And we still have a 2001 lexus IS300 and never done much to it accept wash it, oil changes, air filters, wiper blades and tires. Wait we did have to replace a O2 sensor once.
The LS460 is a more complicated car so more stuff to go wrong. But still think it will be cheap to own compared to others up till 300K
Old 03-27-17, 07:24 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Enjoy it! I love my 2011 Sport. The front brakes make a lot of noise and even more dust. My next upgrade will probably be brakes.

Most stuff can can be serviced by a Toyota dealer for cheaper. The air shocks are the only thing I worry about. If mine go out I'll probably replace them with BC coilovers. A lot of people swap the air suspension out for aftermarket coilovers.
Old 03-27-17, 07:31 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome. You'll enjoy that 2011. And don't mind CRowe. He has to replace his windshield wipers and tires. So he hates LS460's. ;-).
Old 03-27-17, 09:33 PM
spitfirefd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again to the replies. I love this car! I was choosing between a 2007 460L with beautiful cream interior and 90K miles for 19K and this 2011 460 sport. The interior for me was the reason I chose tis car. Well.... the interior and the newer navigation /electronics. This one was 23K with 89k miles. I also love the color but, I will agree with other posts on paint color that it is a full time job to keep looking clean. It has forced me to finally make a spot and park in my garage. Thank you for the ideas on brakes and tires. The tires are new Goodyear eagles that the dealership mounted when I bought it. The brakes, I will have to look and see how much life I have left on them. I drive the car easy so future brake pads are preferred to be less dust producing and will give a little on stopping grip. Again, thanks for the inviting spirit of the club, proud to be a new member and will hopefully one day give advise to others myself.
Jason
Old 03-27-17, 09:38 PM
spitfirefd
Driver School Candidate

Sorry..... one last thing, it is brutal trying to stay on top of cleaning brake dust from those pretty wheels, however, they do not squeal like I have read about here. In looking at this cars past maintenance reports, I have noticed it went to the dealer quite a few times for squeaking brakes and the dealer replaced them a few times.
Jason
Old 03-28-17, 08:37 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R Z
Welcome. You'll enjoy that 2011. And don't mind CRowe. He has to replace his windshield wipers and tires. So he hates LS460's. ;-).
As I told Chris R Z, you are failing to mention that I had to replace the battery as well as put gas in it AND change the oil!!
Old 03-28-17, 08:37 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spitfirefd
Thanks again to the replies. I love this car! I was choosing between a 2007 460L with beautiful cream interior and 90K miles for 19K and this 2011 460 sport. The interior for me was the reason I chose tis car. Well.... the interior and the newer navigation /electronics. This one was 23K with 89k miles. I also love the color but, I will agree with other posts on paint color that it is a full time job to keep looking clean. It has forced me to finally make a spot and park in my garage. Thank you for the ideas on brakes and tires. The tires are new Goodyear eagles that the dealership mounted when I bought it. The brakes, I will have to look and see how much life I have left on them. I drive the car easy so future brake pads are preferred to be less dust producing and will give a little on stopping grip. Again, thanks for the inviting spirit of the club, proud to be a new member and will hopefully one day give advise to others myself.
Jason
Beautiful leather and wood trim on the interior!
Old 03-28-17, 12:01 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful LS Sport so drive and enjoy it plus Lexus is known for its reliability.
Old 03-28-17, 05:17 PM
spitfirefd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again all. I love it totally stock and hope to have many happy years behind the wheel.
Old 03-28-17, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Welcome! You will love the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 Sport questions