GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

California registration period

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 06:46 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
Default California registration period

I just got my license plates and registration for my car in the mail. I purchased the car on 2/24/2017 but the registration valid period is 12/26/2016 - 12/26/2017.
Shouldn't those dates be 2/24/2017 - 2/24/2018? Weird that they're back dating a couple months where I didn't even owned the car...doesn't seems fair.
Did the selling dealership made a mistake?
Old 03-25-17, 07:26 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Guessing you bought used or certified pre-owned? Registration goes with the car so it was probably already registered back in December. They are just sending you the updated registration now.
Old 03-25-17, 10:02 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by kamskeez
Guessing you bought used or certified pre-owned? Registration goes with the car so it was probably already registered back in December. They are just sending you the updated registration now.
Yes it's a Used 2015. I never bought used before always thought registration starts when you first purchased the car. So the dealer registered it back in December 2016 even though I didn't purchased until February 2017? Seems weird I have to pay for extra two months I didn't owned the car.
Old 03-25-17, 10:52 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Check your paperwork. Did you have a paid line item for registration? When I purchased my CPO, it was already registered for a few months and I didn't have to pay.
Old 03-26-17, 08:58 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Yes it's a Used 2015. I never bought used before always thought registration starts when you first purchased the car. So the dealer registered it back in December 2016 even though I didn't purchased until February 2017? Seems weird I have to pay for extra two months I didn't owned the car.
Maybe your car was a lease return with odd terms (27 months) and the person already renewed it before returning the car. Like mentioned, check to see if you paid for registration.
Old 03-26-17, 09:57 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Check your paperwork. Did you have a paid line item for registration? When I purchased my CPO, it was already registered for a few months and I didn't have to pay.
Originally Posted by dchar
Maybe your car was a lease return with odd terms (27 months) and the person already renewed it before returning the car. Like mentioned, check to see if you paid for registration.
I paid $410 for Vehicle License Fees and $20 for Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees. I still don't understand why my registration period started on December 26th when I purchased on February 24, 2017.
It was indeed a lease return. So the Registration stays with the car regardless of when new ownership occurs?
Old 03-26-17, 10:04 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

used vehicle registration is based on the date when the vehicle sold new and was first registered.

registration is good from that date for one year, so if you purchased the vehicle 6 months after the car was registered, you have 6 months left on the registration, there should be no fees involved.

HOWEVER.

dealerships are not required to re-register the vehicle if the registration expires while in their possession, so you paid for your registration as it had lapsed, but the registration dates never change in CA, they are always from the date the vehicle first sold new. So you got boned for 2 months of registration because the dealer allowed it to lapse.
Old 03-26-17, 10:29 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I paid $410 for Vehicle License Fees and $20 for Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees. I still don't understand why my registration period started on December 26th when I purchased on February 24, 2017.
It was indeed a lease return. So the Registration stays with the car regardless of when new ownership occurs?
Check the rules by calling your county clerk. Don't rely on info you receive on a forum.
Old 03-26-17, 11:00 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in Calif and returned my leased GS in Nov '16. Since that time I have received letters from the DMV asking for payment for license renewal plus late fees! When I called the Lexus dealer where I returned the car they said that Lexus Financial (the car's owner) does not re-register the cars and they are only re-registered after auction or retail sale (they told me to ignore the letters). So I guess the next owner could be charged in arrears! So there is another $ item to negotiate for those of you buying used!As for those of us returning leased cars, Lexus should have filed a doc with the state removing the Leasee from responsibility (or advised the Leasee to do it). I have leased other makes in the past and never had this problem with the DMV before. I have a friend who returned his Lexus GS almost a year ago and is still getting letters from DMV about late registration fees due! This is not only a nuisance but also could have legal implications if the car was involved in an accident and the past Leasee's name is still associated with the car at DMV.
Old 03-26-17, 11:12 AM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Knowing you did pay, it sounds like the dealer allowed the registration to lapse while in there possession. So yeah, looks like you're out 2 months.
Old 03-26-17, 11:47 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjeds
used vehicle registration is based on the date when the vehicle sold new and was first registered.

registration is good from that date for one year, so if you purchased the vehicle 6 months after the car was registered, you have 6 months left on the registration, there should be no fees involved.

HOWEVER.

dealerships are not required to re-register the vehicle if the registration expires while in their possession, so you paid for your registration as it had lapsed, but the registration dates never change in CA, they are always from the date the vehicle first sold new. So you got boned for 2 months of registration because the dealer allowed it to lapse.
Originally Posted by bb700092
Check the rules by calling your county clerk. Don't rely on info you receive on a forum.
Originally Posted by gflexus
I'm in Calif and returned my leased GS in Nov '16. Since that time I have received letters from the DMV asking for payment for license renewal plus late fees! When I called the Lexus dealer where I returned the car they said that Lexus Financial (the car's owner) does not re-register the cars and they are only re-registered after auction or retail sale (they told me to ignore the letters). So I guess the next owner could be charged in arrears! So there is another $ item to negotiate for those of you buying used!As for those of us returning leased cars, Lexus should have filed a doc with the state removing the Leasee from responsibility (or advised the Leasee to do it). I have leased other makes in the past and never had this problem with the DMV before. I have a friend who returned his Lexus GS almost a year ago and is still getting letters from DMV about late registration fees due! This is not only a nuisance but also could have legal implications if the car was involved in an accident and the past Leasee's name is still associated with the car at DMV.
Knowing you did pay, it sounds like the dealer allowed the registration to lapse while in there possession. So yeah, looks like you're out 2 months.
All good info, thanks guys! I'll call the dealership to see what I can do about this. Not a huge problem for me but seems odd.
Old 03-27-17, 09:38 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure it wasn't prorated?