Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How popular is Lexus in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 06:27 PM
Masonchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How popular is Lexus in the USA?

Greeting

I lived in South Korea right now, so I signed a ES300H contract Last week.

Btw, German's Top 3 brands (BMW,BENZ,AUDI) are so popular in Korea, also I considerd to buy a BMW 520D OR BENZ E CLASS. on the contrary Lexus is not much popluar than like them

I really wonder is it same happen in USA too?

So.. How situation about Lexus popularity In USA now?
Old 03-25-17, 08:09 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonchoi
Greeting

I lived in South Korea right now, so I signed a ES300H contract Last week.

Btw, German's Top 3 brands (BMW,BENZ,AUDI) are so popular in Korea, also I considerd to buy a BMW 520D OR BENZ E CLASS. on the contrary Lexus is not much popluar than like them

I really wonder is it same happen in USA too?

So.. How situation about Lexus popularity In USA now?
It's actually crazy how popular Lexus IS in the USA. It's main market is here in the USA. Almost every other car i see in my town or the highway is a Lexus doesn't matter old or new.
Old 03-25-17, 08:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Agreed, Lexus is just as popular as a Benz or BMW, if not more so. Audi is kind of in 4th place, they've become extremely popular in the past 5 years or so. Acura sales, at least in my area, have gone off a cliff, I still see the SUV's, but their sedans, I really don't see any newer, 2012+ models around. Which is crazy, 10-15 years ago Acuras, both old and new were EVERYWHERE. Lincoln and Cadillac might as well not even exist here in Nashville. Infiniti is still around, a see a good mix of their older(mainly older G35's and QX56) and newer cars, but except for a few years around 2004-2006, when the G35 was the IT car, they've never sold all that well.
Old 03-26-17, 12:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The latest IS is now the go-to car for the young clan. It used to have a much higher age bracket, but no longer. I'd say just about every one I see is driven by high school or college aged guys. Credit the swoopy, boy-racer looks and unconventional interior. Not my cup of tea, but if Lexus was trying to lower their median age buyer, it worked big time.
Old 03-26-17, 08:40 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Lexus was the #1 luxury maker in the U.S. for over a decade until BMW took the helm a few years ago. Now BMW and Merc seem to keep switching back and forth.

But Lexus is extremely popular regardless, especially cars like the RX, ES, and IS.
Old 03-26-17, 08:41 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The latest IS is now the go-to car for the young clan. It used to have a much higher age bracket, but no longer. I'd say just about every one I see is driven by high school or college aged guys. Credit the swoopy, boy-racer looks and unconventional interior. Not my cup of tea, but if Lexus was trying to lower their median age buyer, it worked big time.
I've never seen a person older than 45 driving the current IS. It looks very sporty and attractive from outside, and while I'm not a fan of the boy racer interior (doesn't feel very luxurious) it has definitely attracted younger buyers to the brand.
Old 03-26-17, 09:21 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I see WAY more BMW than Lexus in Chicago. Not sure about other cities. Most car enthusiasts are definitely still sticking to the big German brands. Very rare to see anyone driving a Lexus who is a "car guy".
Old 03-27-17, 03:52 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

It is meant to be seeing as how it's Lexus' entry level vehicle. Also, the lease program is geared towards affordability. If you want exclusivity, buy a Rolls Royce.
Old 03-27-17, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The IS250 AWD, for years, sold very well here in the D.C. area.....I actually see more of them running around than RWD models and/or with larger engines. Most (but not all) of the IS250 AWD drivers I've seen were female.....both young and old. Apparantly, they aren't as put off by that particular model's lack of power as young guys are....most of whom want either the 350 or the IS-F, though they often can't afford either.
Old 03-27-17, 06:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

For 2016 luxury sales in the US, 1st place was Mercedes, 2nd was Lexus, and 3rd was BMW.
Old 03-27-17, 10:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
It is meant to be seeing as how it's Lexus' entry level vehicle. Also, the lease program is geared towards affordability. If you want exclusivity, buy a Rolls Royce.
The CT is Lexus's entry vehicle, not the IS. The CT was originally pitched as a rocket blasting through urban city streets at night, but it's mark was missed by far.
Personally, I don't care about exclusivity. What I care about for me is a sedan that looks sporty on the outside, but is luxurious and comfortable on the inside. The best of both worlds. The 3IS is not that, but I think it's great the IS F-Sport is selling well to the younger crowd
Old 03-28-17, 11:03 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

In another thread in car chat says KKB survey, people put Lexus in the same luxury category as Aston Martin and Benz. Not Bmw/Audi.
Old 03-28-17, 11:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Entry level luxury (RX, NX, ES) Lexus does very well.

Mid to upper Luxury models - Lexus struggles big time.

They NEED the new LC and LS to do well to reestablish themselves as a true alternative to the 3 Germans, who are all doing well.
Old 03-28-17, 12:36 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

way more popular in the united states than they are in the european union.
Old 03-28-17, 04:28 PM
Masonchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously?

Originally Posted by JDR76
For 2016 luxury sales in the US, 1st place was Mercedes, 2nd was Lexus, and 3rd was BMW.
Do you have any evidence to prove it ?

Quick Reply: How popular is Lexus in the USA?