IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hood and Trunk Support Struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 02:02 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Hood and Trunk Support Struts

Hood and Trunk Support Struts

When the cold weather breezed through Atlanta in the last couple of weeks, for some reason it killed my hood support struts. One morning I wanted to trickle charge my battery and when I lifted the hood, it just went down hard. I lifted it again and it will not stay up, no matter what. Just like that my struts were finito!

So I went on a search and found a pair from Mazon and it is actually coming in today. We’ll see if these work and will last.

For the trunk support struts, I always had a problem that when I unlatch it, it barely moves and I need to basically pick it up and lift so I can open my trunk. I am tired of it! I found a set for $60 off fleabay and it should come in next week early. Cannot wait to replace them as well.

I have done some searching on this forum and did not get a lot of recommendations on aftermarket struts. I also have not read any threads flaming certain brands. So I took a chance and bought the front ones for $30, I have read a few comments, positive ones that say they work. Whether they will last, that’s for me to find out.

I have replaced my rear trunk struts on my SC430 as well, aftermarket do not really work compared to the OEM. The OEM’s work good but do not last.

We shall see.
Old 03-23-17, 02:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

This thread would have helped you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lew-out-3.html

Lou
Old 03-23-17, 02:44 PM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also recently replaced my front hood struts from Amazon (don't know if same ones you bought) and they seem to work pretty good for now (don't know how long they'll last obviously). Reading your post it just hit me I should also replace the trunk struts too since we use it way more often and it's hard to open and slams pretty hard when closing. I've just found a set again on Amazon for only $26 from the same "Haixun" brand which I'm about to order so if anyone has any negative experience to share please do.
Old 03-23-17, 03:23 PM
mandyfig

I was tempted to get the cheaper set for the rear (Haixun), but decided to go to fleabay and get the liftsupport ones Model PM1016. When reaerching for the rears, you can not get a lot of choices. So I leaned on the safe side, assuming more money means the probability is that it works. I will find out next week when it comes in.

My fronts are coming on tomorrow.

Wish me luck.
Old 03-23-17, 03:25 PM
mandyfig

I bought the Haixun fronts from Mazon. Mazon does not sell the Haixun rears.
Old 03-23-17, 03:35 PM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I bought the Haixun fronts from Mazon. Mazon does not sell the Haixun rears.
Of course they do I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018DLR6OK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30D5W4ZEVKKKK https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018DLR6OK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30D5W4ZEVKKKK

From the other post link to eBay one the pictures are almost same so I wonder if they're actually made by the same manufacturer but Amazon one is third the price so...
Old 03-23-17, 03:38 PM
mandyfig

Shoot you are right! Why did I have to pay twice!
Old 03-23-17, 03:39 PM
mandyfig

I have read some reviews from this forum and I followed my gut and went for it.
Old 03-23-17, 03:45 PM
toyotaguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Shoot you are right! Why did I have to pay twice!
Knowing how much we have to pay for dealer part & service on our cars spending extra $20-30 on parts like this is insignificant so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it
Old 03-23-17, 03:49 PM
mandyfig

Ok now I know why. The delivery was terrible. Two weeks or more. Not Prime!
Old 03-27-17, 07:16 AM
mandyfig

The trunk support struts came in ahead of schedule, $60 per set, Fleabay, supplied by Wisconsin Auto Supply. The $30 per set I doubted since the rear trunk supports should be more robust.

Thanks to the pictures supplied by one member, took me 10 minutes to do. The set is about ¼” longer and had to raise the hood to snap it in. Other than that, worked like a charm. When I hit the trunk release it gives me a gap from the bottom now. Previous, the trunk did not move. And now when you lift the trunk, you have support, unlike before, you actually had to lift it with some force. Best thing is when you close your trunk, it has some support and it can actually stay midway and leave it hanging. Then with a slight tap it falls down and gently closes.

I am happy.
Old 03-29-17, 10:43 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fixed my trunk with new supports couple days ago. $60.00, 10 minutes and all is well again. Dealer wanted so much $ to do the same job I thought for a minute they were selling me a whole new car.
Old 03-30-17, 08:41 AM
mandyfig

I thought that I was going to have a hard time taking off the Cover. In fact, they were simple clips and all you needed was pull it down. Then it was remove and replace. Again mine was a tad longer, but I lifted the trunk a bit and I got it in. It is working like normal now. The replacement of the cover was a breeze.

Glad I bought the $60 per pair option. The $30 per pair Front Hood support was a little cheaper in construction.
Old 06-28-17, 04:19 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys from where did you get the set for $60? I can only see them for $87.99 on Amazon.

Thank you
Old 06-28-17, 05:04 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by See5
Hi guys from where did you get the set for $60? I can only see them for $87.99 on Amazon.

Thank you
WOW. Not sure what to say. I bought mine through Amazon/Lift Supports Depot and it looks like they are now listed at $149.00. Quite a price hike for sure. Don't know about ones listed at $87.99.

Quick Reply: Hood and Trunk Support Struts