LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My new seat pad.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 07:13 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My new seat pad.

My latest comfort upgrade. I make these. It has two layers of carpet foam padding and elastic straps sewn on the back to hold it in place on the seat back. My worn out back really appreciates this and it also pushes me away from the bolsters which I don't like in any car .
Old 03-23-17, 08:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

This is nice and im wondering if it would assist me with one of the very few gripes I have regarding my LS.
Since I have owned the car, I always felt that the seat does not come as forward and vertical as I'd like, and the lower lumbar support doesn't come forward enough for me to feel the support in my lower back.
Over the few years I have more or less just dealt with it (even tried a small decorative pillow that was more seat-width wide) and placed it on the seat, and that helped some, but had to wrestle with its positioning every time I got back in the car.That got old and I just threw it out.
I think you bring up a valid point, in that some (you and possibly myself) prefer a less contoured back support, or at least one where the primary area were the back rest' is wider and the bolsters aren't so evident.
If I may ask, what area(s) of your back are you source of agitation, and how effective is this new cushion for you?
Old 03-23-17, 08:51 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
This is nice and im wondering if it would assist me with one of the very few gripes I have regarding my LS.
Since I have owned the car, I always felt that the seat does not come as forward and vertical as I'd like, and the lower lumbar support doesn't come forward enough for me to feel the support in my lower back.
Over the few years I have more or less just dealt with it (even tried a small decorative pillow that was more seat-width wide) and placed it on the seat, and that helped some, but had to wrestle with its positioning every time I got back in the car.That got old and I just threw it out.
I think you bring up a valid point, in that some (you and possibly myself) prefer a less contoured back support, or at least one where the primary area were the back rest' is wider and the bolsters aren't so evident.
If I may ask, what area(s) of your back are you source of agitation, and how effective is this new cushion for you?
You won't know if its gonna help you till you try one. Todays cars come with firm seat backs with big bolsters. Great if thats what people want I guess but what about the rest of us. Our only choice is a full size suv with big cushy seats. I originally came up with this pad idea to get my shoulders off the bolsters. The softer cushion for my spine was a huge plus. I have these in all 3 of my cars. In my wife's car it doesn't have straps so its portable because she does't need it. Its a game changer for me. What color is your interior I can make and send you one. I have a huge roll of the highest end foam carpet pad left over and I get the remnants at the fabric store pretty cheap. I glue the whole thing together with gorilla glue and just have to sew the straps on.
Old 03-23-17, 11:32 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I hear what you are saying. Looks like a good idea to me.
Old 03-23-17, 12:14 PM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KennyR44,
That looks like a great option for those of us who deal with back pain. I'm currently using a lumbar pillow, but still deal with fatigue. I would love to purchase one from you. Can you PM me?
Old 03-23-17, 12:17 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I believe the seating in the 430 feels softer and more comfortable than the 460.
Old 03-23-17, 02:27 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yep, Lexus should stop trying to out-MBZ MBZ and out-BMW BMW! We buy Lexus because we didn't want an MBZ or a BMW!
Old 03-23-17, 09:03 PM
yumaslim
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty creative solution. Looks pretty good too.
Old 03-24-17, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

One thing you might want to try if it really bugs you is swapping the seat out of a 13+ 460. The seat design is completely different in the 13+, I find the seats just fine and have never had any discomfort, feeling of them being overly bolstered, etc.

07-12 seats:

13-17 seats:

Old driver's seat which extension (whole cushion slides out):

New driver's seat which extension design (bolster folds out):

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-24-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 03:32 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
You won't know if its gonna help you till you try one. Todays cars come with firm seat backs with big bolsters. Great if thats what people want I guess but what about the rest of us. Our only choice is a full size suv with big cushy seats. I originally came up with this pad idea to get my shoulders off the bolsters. The softer cushion for my spine was a huge plus. I have these in all 3 of my cars. In my wife's car it doesn't have straps so its portable because she does't need it. Its a game changer for me. What color is your interior I can make and send you one. I have a huge roll of the highest end foam carpet pad left over and I get the remnants at the fabric store pretty cheap. I glue the whole thing together with gorilla glue and just have to sew the straps on.
I have the same color as you. If you feel like making a deal.
Old 03-24-17, 03:48 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

I put a small pillow behind my lower back on long trips. It provides better support. Looks like a great ideal

Dennis
Old 03-24-17, 04:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Yep, Lexus should stop trying to out-MBZ MBZ and out-BMW BMW! We buy Lexus because we didn't want an MBZ or a BMW!
LOL. That pretty much sums it up Keith!
Old 03-27-17, 01:39 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
One thing you might want to try if it really bugs you is swapping the seat out of a 13+ 460. The seat design is completely different in the 13+, I find the seats just fine and have never had any discomfort, feeling of them being overly bolstered, etc.

07-12 seats:

13-17 seats:

Old driver's seat which extension (whole cushion slides out):

New driver's seat which extension design (bolster folds out):

This may sound like a silly response, but this never would have even crossed my mind. Then once I thought about it, I probably would have thought about the cost lol! Its a great idea though. Perhaps it wouldn't be as costly as im thinking....
Something to look into though, but of course, I will try the financially friendly option(s) first.
Thanks for the insight Steve.
Old 03-27-17, 01:48 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
This may sound like a silly response, but this never would have even crossed my mind. Then once I thought about it, I probably would have thought about the cost lol! Its a great idea though. Perhaps it wouldn't be as costly as im thinking....
Something to look into though, but of course, I will try the financially friendly option(s) first.
Thanks for the insight Steve.
Definitely will have to find a used seat for sure, The cost could still be astronomical IF one is even found!
Old 03-27-17, 01:57 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GHARP57
Definitely will have to find a used seat for sure, The cost could still be astronomical IF one is even found!
Most definitely what I was thinking, and like you said, even used, the price would still probably be ridiculous!

Quick Reply: My new seat pad.