IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 vs 2017 hood, fender and trunk; are they the same?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 06:02 PM
hijack87
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2014 vs 2017 hood, fender and trunk; are they the same?

I've been wanting to buy the seibon cf hood, fender and trunk. but not sure if Lexus changed these parts. Looking at pictures they look the same, I think they only changed the headlights and bumpers. Can anyone confirm if they are the same?

Old 03-21-17, 06:59 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

they are different
Old 03-22-17, 07:27 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

hood and fender are different
trunk should still be the same
Old 03-23-17, 10:13 AM
tunertony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hood and fenders are the same.
Old 03-23-17, 10:28 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The hood, judging from the pictures in the original post, looks different.
Old 03-23-17, 12:57 PM
tunertony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

optical illusion
Old 03-23-17, 02:20 PM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tunertony
optical illusion
Nope. Wrong about the hood.

http://www.autoindustriya.com/car-re...0-f-sport.html

"The changes made to the exterior seem minor, but they're actually more complex. The alteration to the hood and the reprofiling of the fascia are major changes, even though they're quite subtle."

http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...s-safety-tech/

"The reshaped hood appears more sculptural, with the raised center portion flowing rearward from the top of the spindle grille and standard LED headlamps."
Old 03-24-17, 09:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

For OP's intent, his question really is will both parts be interchangeable.

here's my take.

The hood on the new model looks to physically fit, the change (for MY17) is in how the hood bulges slightly more on the 17 model right above the grill towards the engine. very subtle. The actual physical part should bolt on the same though. A 14-16 owner should be able to swap to a 17 hood for more bulge. lets say if you got in a crash or whatever. seems to be a "free" cool upgrade.

The fender, not 100% sure, but I'd say its the same

bumper and headlights are married and have to be swapped out together if you change one or the other, it seems. another "Free" upgrade if you got in a crash.. aside from any wiring mods you may need to do.
Old 03-24-17, 09:06 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by tunertony
the part numbers for the 14 and 17 hoods and metal front fenders are the same.
the fenders dont surprise me, the hood does.

according to Toyota, the hood is different. but it looks the same to me, possibly more bulging on the 17 model in SOME pics. haven't seen in person though. The 14-16 hood does look a bit "flat"
Old 03-24-17, 11:35 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

The whole front end has changed (hood, fenders, headlights and bumper)
its not interchangeable mixup unless you change it all at the same time

Trunk is the same
Old 03-25-17, 09:40 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
hmmm.... headlights and bumpers are noted as revised for 2017 by Lexus, so those are a given, but the hood and fenders (front quarter panels) were not noted as revised for 2017, given that, and my amateur visual comparo, still have me thinking the hood and fenders for 2017 are the same as previous model years. Need to see, assess and measure in person to satisfy my curiosity...

(Why I'm now curious about something that is of no consequence to me is beyond me, but now I must know ;-)
who knows. I can be wrong too. but judging by the photos the the OP posted of the two side by side the headlight shape is different sitting on the fender but it could be all angles of the image taken. I have been flip flopping between it being the same and different for a while now. Trying to decipher if it is same or different is making my head hurt lol.
Wont know until someone attempts a aftermarket hood swap on 17+ models or someone attempts the front end update conversion.
Old 03-26-17, 12:57 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a video online that does a close up comparison between the IS F Sport pre and post refresh. Its in Japanese, but has super imposed pics of the two and you can see there does apear to be a difference in the hood n fenders, very subtle, but are there if you look close enough. Here are a few snaps from the video and the video link.

While not a part of the discussion, I like the 2017 look. It looks chunkier/broader upfront, vs 2016 that looks a bit pointy with beak. Also the 2017 looks more balanced. Of course I'm saying this, as I own a 2017
Old 03-26-17, 02:35 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by TinoPing

so this picture makes be believe the hood and fenders did not change. Cant make up mind, Keep going back and forth
Old 03-26-17, 03:16 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
so this picture makes be believe the hood and fenders did not change. Cant make up mind, Keep going back and forth
On second looks, I think you're right. If you look at the hood in isolation, it looks unchanged. Also the crease seems in the same place. Its only when you look at it together with the grill and headlights (which dramatically changed), its gives the illusion that the hood changed. Only thing you risk is if final fit is the same e.g. If the gap between all parts will line up seamlessly all the way or if there is any variance in elevation. Btw- One thing I can't stand on my 2017 are the tail lights. I've had it for three months and hasn't grown on me a bit.. I may swap with a 2016 at one point.
Old 04-06-17, 11:38 PM
hijack87
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
To see differences for the MY 2017 IS, you can download and review the 2017 Lexus IS Sedan Product Information document from here:
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...ifications.htm
Specific to the items you are asking about (hood, fender and trunk), check the Overall Exterior Styling/Body Design section. New items for 2017 will be in bold.

Seibon may be a great resource (in the future) to confirm if the hood is in fact a new or changed design, as I'm sure they do detailed evaluation on the part and would be able to assess if it is indeed changed for MY 17.

Your parts department at your local dealer may also be able to shed some light on this, depending on how knowledgeably they are. I don't think a different part number necessarily means the part is different in design, it may just be a different part number to designate it as a part for the specific model year it applies to.
I actually contacted Seibon and they did say that the hood and fenders are not the same. They also mentioned that there not sure about the trunk as well.

Given that I still think it is lol... but no confident enough to order their cf hood. I still havent gotten the chance to park or meet with a 2014 to 16 is350 just to measure things out.

Quick Reply: 2014 vs 2017 hood, fender and trunk; are they the same?