Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 05:16 AM
knighru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car advice

Looking for a new car, and right now my top three are:

2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Not a fan of the Camry's looks. I find the Fusion to be just 'meh'. I am coming out of a 2012 Volvo s60. The back seat is simply too small with two soon to be teen-agers. Test drove the first two and will test drive the Sonata next week. If anyone has spent any time with any of these cars, I am all ears on thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-17, 07:40 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Honestly, out of those 3, the best car is the mazda. Its the least boring to drive and probably the cheapest to purchase.

mazdas are overlooked often. My 14 cx-5 was one of the best cars build quality wise i have ever owned.

but dont discount the Americans. The new Chevy Cruze diesel is out and looks promising. And you can get a used Lexus ES now for cheaper than any of those cars listed above go for new.
Old 03-19-17, 07:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

isn't the Mazda 6 under powered vs other two tho? (184hp)
Old 03-19-17, 08:01 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by knighru

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

Not a fan of the Camry's looks. I find the Fusion to be just 'meh'. I am coming out of a 2012 Volvo s60. The back seat is simply too small with two soon to be teen-agers. Test drove the first two and will test drive the Sonata next week. If anyone has spent any time with any of these cars, I am all ears on thoughts.

Thanks.
Nothing you like on Lexus line up?
Old 03-19-17, 08:26 AM
knighru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Not really. Not a fan of RWD cars generally and other than the hybrid models, the MPG would be the same as my current car.
Old 03-19-17, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Lexus ES is FWD not RWD FYI.

Of those cars you mentioned the easy choice for me would be the Mazda 6
Old 03-19-17, 09:00 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

How important is fuel economy to you? The Mazda 6 would be top for me too, but your other top two are hybrids. As far as hybrids go, I'd choose a CPO ESh over those other two.
Old 03-19-17, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

of those choices i'd get the accord hybrid, not that's i've driven any of them. my reasons: hyundai hybrid tech is a bit of an unknown to me, and the hybrids will bring more power and economy than the mazda. the mazda is nice looking in and out, but other than that, nothing special. i actually think the accord in high end trim is better looking and obviously has a stellar reputation.
Old 03-19-17, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I find the Fusion to be just 'meh'.
Just curious....What did you find "Meh" about the Fusion? Did you test-drive one? It is done on an excellent platform, drives well, offers an AWD option for bad weather, and has a high-powered Sport package. I'll admit, though that the little Mickey-Mouse 1.5L turbo-four engine in the base models isn't much of a power plant for this size car (the rival Chevy Malibu has a similiar-size base engine)...but you can think the upcoming MPG requirements for that.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
Of these three, however, I'd consider the Mazda to have the best chassis (from a drivers' standpoint), the Honda to be the best-built, and the Hyundai to be the one to get for its long warranty if you plan on keeping it a long time. So, it's basically a question of priorities.

In this class, the Buick Regal, IMO, is also quite impressive....and, like the Fusion, offers AWD. An all-new Regal will probably be debuting this fall, in hatchback and wagon versions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 10:07 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would wait for the new Camry period!
Old 03-19-17, 06:30 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

Thanks.
Driven alot of miles in the Mazda 6. All Mazda's tend to be class leading in handling. The seats are great for me but could be a tight fit for larger people. Also good ride quality & gas mileage.
Also have alot of seat time in Sonata's including a day in a hybrid. I prefer rear wheel drive non-hybrid cars for the handling characteristics, but if you want a hybrid I think the Sonata is a good option.
Old 03-19-17, 06:40 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of those choices i'd get the accord hybrid, not that's i've driven any of them. my reasons: hyundai hybrid tech is a bit of an unknown to me, and the hybrids will bring more power and economy than the mazda. the mazda is nice looking in and out, but other than that, nothing special. i actually think the accord in high end trim is better looking and obviously has a stellar reputation.
Agreed. I'm leasing a base Accord for my cousin, and even at the lowest price point it is a well-made, nicely finished, nice driving car.

My second choice would be the Mazda6.
Old 03-20-17, 03:02 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you drive a lot or over long distances?

I ask because the Accord Hybrid is the one I'd choose logically (long-term cost of operating and ownership), however the Mazda6 is the car you may love to get . I looked at the Sonata Hybrid's, even with the refresh (and couple that by the poor rep my local Hyundai dealers have for service) doesn't do it for me.....underwhelming interior though the build quality has been vastly improved.

The Accord drives very differently than the Mazda6...the Grand Touring is the top of the line there, though you may not get the same mpg as the Accord thus if you drive long distances, the Accord Hybrid may be the better platform for long-term.
Old 03-20-17, 03:19 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

If leasing:

Hyundai

If buying:

All except for Hyundai.

Reason: albeit they give you crazy warranty coverage, but getting them to actually honor it is an insane task based reviews from forums.
Old 03-20-17, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
If leasing:

Hyundai

If buying:

All except for Hyundai.

Reason: albeit they give you crazy warranty coverage, but getting them to actually honor it is an insane task based reviews from forums.
One quirk with the 10/100 Hyundai/Kia drive-train coverage (and many are not aware of this) is that it is transferrable ONLY to a close member of your family if the car is re-sold and re-titled. That means Mom, Dad, Brother, or Sis. Otherwise, upon re-sale, the drivetrain warranty cuts back to 5/60, like with the rest of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. There are also some other restrictions as well.

Quick Reply: Car advice