ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New Lexus infotainment detailed review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 12:19 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New Lexus infotainment detailed review

I was on YouTube today and found a video with a full detailed review of the new gen Lexus infotainment and all I can say is damnn they really stepped it up and I'm one of the people who can care less about apple CarPlay. Lexus IS really stepping up applause to them I'm loving this new system and can't wait to get my next gen es with it.

Old 03-18-17, 04:28 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive always been puzzled why so many have been down on the joystick system, Ive gotten pretty good with mine and sensitivity is adjustable. Prettier interface not withstanding the only real upgrade I see is the pinch to zoom, which is much more user freindly. The rest I dont really use much, I always use the hard buttons for climate and steering wheel for the radio. Dash upgrade is really slick looking but, again, aside from a more refined presentation its no more functional or has more features than my 13' dash. G meter made me chuckle, maybe the ES will have that too

Last edited by 400to300H; 03-18-17 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 06:11 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ology-imo.html
Old 03-20-17, 11:08 AM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may care less, but Android Auto is the future due to WAZE. The "Killer App". Once that can be displayed on your cars screen, its over for anything else. If Toyota/Lexus is opposed to Android Auto and Apple Play, then they should at least allow screen mirroring.
Old 03-20-17, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Overall the system looks like its still behind what we see from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, the new system in Jaguars and LandRovers (which is great, friend of mine just got a 17 Range Rover). Overall though, if the processor is snappier which it sounds like it is, it'll work. I don't really have an issue with my infotainment system, mostly just that its laggy and slow. Not advanced or cutting edge, but it works fine,
Old 03-20-17, 01:25 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Overall the system looks like its still behind what we see from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, the new system in Jaguars and LandRovers (which is great, friend of mine just got a 17 Range Rover). Overall though, if the processor is snappier which it sounds like it is, it'll work. I don't really have an issue with my infotainment system, mostly just that its laggy and slow. Not advanced or cutting edge, but it works fine,
I've played with the infotainment in the new q7 it's very complicated for me at least, I've played with the infotainment in a 2016 gl450 and it is honestly what I call garbage and my cousin picked up a f10 550 and his infotainment is also nothing state of the art either. I actually appreciate the remote touch, in terms of graphics I certainly don't mind them they get the job done but still look luxurious. I noticed all 2017 cars come with a new gen which I wanted but my service advisor said to wait for this one which imho is a very much needed upgrade.
Old 03-20-17, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I've played with the infotainment in the new q7 it's very complicated for me at least, I've played with the infotainment in a 2016 gl450 and it is honestly what I call garbage and my cousin picked up a f10 550 and his infotainment is also nothing state of the art either. I actually appreciate the remote touch, in terms of graphics I certainly don't mind them they get the job done but still look luxurious. I noticed all 2017 cars come with a new gen which I wanted but my service advisor said to wait for this one which imho is a very much needed upgrade.
The infotainment in the Q7 is complex, but once you learn how to use it its capabilities are incredible compared to what we have from Lexus. Anything with a lot of capabilities is going to have a learning curve. Lexus really is 10 years behind in infotainment. Best corollary was Jaguar/Land Rover who's infotainment was worse until 2017, but their new system is incredible. So that goes to show you that they can make a big jump and bring it right current...but looking at whats in the LC and new LS (from pics at least) doesn't look like thats going to happen. This is Lexus' biggest problem right now IMHO.

The MB system isn't great either, especially whats in a GL because thats still a generation behind their new offerings. If you look at the system thats in the S Class or the E Class its a lot better, although still behind Audi, BMW and the new system from Jaguar/Land Rover. What MB does well is graphics, and their illustrations (the way the car rolls into the frame, the way they do the color selections for ambient lighting and the images of seat adjustments, etc) are really cool, but the actual technology and navigation setup is very mediocre.

The latest BMW systems you find in the new 7 and 5 with the gesture control are very good, and an upgrade from whats in your friends F10 5, although even that is way better than what we have from Lexus. Like I said, it functions but its VERY outdated compared to the competition.
Old 03-20-17, 01:57 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

The infotainment in the Q7 is complex, but once you learn how to use it its capabilities are incredible compared to what we have from Lexus. Anything with a lot of capabilities is going to have a learning curve. Lexus really is 10 years behind in infotainment. Best corollary was Jaguar/Land Rover who's infotainment was worse until 2017, but their new system is incredible. So that goes to show you that they can make a big jump and bring it right current...but looking at whats in the LC and new LS (from pics at least) doesn't look like thats going to happen. This is Lexus' biggest problem right now IMHO.

The MB system isn't great either, especially whats in a GL because thats still a generation behind their new offerings. If you look at the system thats in the S Class or the E Class its a lot better, although still behind Audi, BMW and the new system from Jaguar/Land Rover. What MB does well is graphics, and their illustrations (the way the car rolls into the frame, the way they do the color selections for ambient lighting and the images of seat adjustments, etc) are really cool, but the actual technology and navigation setup is very mediocre.

The latest BMW systems you find in the new 7 and 5 with the gesture control are very good, and an upgrade from whats in your friends F10 5, although even that is way better than what we have from Lexus. Like I said, it functions but its VERY outdated compared to the competition.
I think Lexus definitely addressed the dated graphics and the new touchpad looks to be very smooth. I was hoping that the fellow in the video would go into 3d mode but he didn't. Did you see the new seat illustration, quite impressive. I would consider this as a major step up. Def looking forward to it in my next gen es. BMW and mb gps themselves look not impressive at all. The Lexus gps in 3D mode looks very good imo. And I could careless for ac or aa.
Old 03-21-17, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I think Lexus definitely addressed the dated graphics and the new touchpad looks to be very smooth. I was hoping that the fellow in the video would go into 3d mode but he didn't. Did you see the new seat illustration, quite impressive. I would consider this as a major step up. Def looking forward to it in my next gen es. BMW and mb gps themselves look not impressive at all. The Lexus gps in 3D mode looks very good imo. And I could careless for ac or aa.
it looks snappier, I like the pop up options for the menu segments, thats smart. I saw the seat illustration...its better than what we have but nothing compared to the types of illustrations we see from competitors cars.

Mercedes:

12" TFT gauge cluster with night vision:

Seat illustrations:

Vehicle illustrations:

Airflow:

BMW:

3D Spatial Movie mode for surround view cameras:

Seat illustrations:

Display key with remote parking:

Audi:

Virtual Cockpit:

This is a screenshot of the seat illustrations you're talking about in the LC video...they look easily 5+ years behind the competitors posted above:

IMHO its clear comparing these systems that Lexus is still really behind in this area.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-21-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 03:46 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That Audi virtual cockpit is really slick.
Old 03-21-17, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is, it's the best setup I've tried recently.
Old 03-21-17, 07:13 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

it looks snappier, I like the pop up options for the menu segments, thats smart. I saw the seat illustration...its better than what we have but nothing compared to the types of illustrations we see from competitors cars.

Mercedes:

12" TFT gauge cluster with night vision:

Seat illustrations:

Vehicle illustrations:

Airflow:

BMW:

3D Spatial Movie mode for surround view cameras:

Seat illustrations:

Display key with remote parking:

Audi:

Virtual Cockpit:

This is a screenshot of the seat illustrations you're talking about in the LC video...they look easily 5+ years behind the competitors posted above:

IMHO its clear comparing these systems that Lexus is still really behind in this area.
TBH to each there own. I'm not tryna pick a fight with anyone. Ima a diehard Lexus fan and don't see myself leaving the brand anytime soon. Idrc for German cars at all except the maybach. I like the infotainment in my 2016 es 350, but I'll admit it can be updated and from the video the new infotainment meets and exceeds my needs and it looks beautiful. I've always preferred the actually mouse controller to the touch pad. I used the touch pad in a nx loaner it was alright felt very weird coming from the mouse. But the new mouse looks to be very good and I will save final judgment till I actually use the system. Anyways most of the German stuff is gimmicks imho Lexus does everything straight to the point but now they are giving it a much needed refresh and I'll be more the happy. Again no fight picking at all just stating my opinion.

Last edited by imrankh24; 03-21-17 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its fine to be a diehard Lexus fan (I mean, I've been a Lexus customer longer likely than you have been alive) but it doesn't do Lexus as a brand any good to sweep areas where they fall behind under the rug. Any objective assessment of Lexus current or even this updated infotainment system vs these competitors I've highlighted here is going to easily show that Lexus is quite behind when it comes to infotainment technology. Not even in the same ballpark.

Now, whether that matters to you is one thing...I really don't care that much (clearly, since I've continually bought Lexus vehicles despite this weakness) but its an area where Lexus needs to step up dramatically to keep pace. Technology in cars is becoming more and more important...the point is we don't want to have to leave the brand, we want the brand to be as good as it can be in every area.

I didn't even include Jaguar/Land Rover. Check this out on the upcoming Range Rover Velar. This is not a concept, this is the infotainment tech the car is actually going to have:

Old 03-22-17, 09:50 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only care that it's smooth riding. All those gadgets? Most of them I don't care about. I like dynamic cruise control, and parking assist.

So even if Lexus stays behind on the 'infotainment' area, I'll probably stay w Lexus.
Old 03-22-17, 10:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of people who will, but younger buyers care about technology...if they want younger buyers which clearly they do, they must address their infotainment technology as everybody else has done.

Honestly, the only luxury carmaker behind Lexus in this area is Acura.

Quick Reply: New Lexus infotainment detailed review