IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 10:53 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)

Hi guys!

I'm planning to buy a 2017 IS200t from a dealership in Texas and get it here to California.
I know there are a few formalities to take care of when buying an Out-Of-State car (title and registration, smog tests, etc), but I was wondering if you guys could help point out some finer details/tips for the same.
If anyone of you has any experience in doing something like this, your tips and advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-07-17, 10:58 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

you'll pay cal sales tax in tex and you'll have to get the car converted to cal emissions standards before/when you register it in cal.
would be better if you found one out there.
Old 03-07-17, 03:43 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Why are you buying from out of State?
Cali has strict emission standards and a PITA to get a car in. Unless you're getting $5k+ off the car, it's not worth the hassle.
Old 03-07-17, 04:03 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by 600rr
Why are you buying from out of State?
Cali has strict emission standards and a PITA to get a car in. Unless you're getting $5k+ off the car, it's not worth the hassle.
The color I'm looking for is Nightfall Mica which is not/rarely built on the western coast apparently. So, the closest one I could find was one in Texas. I don't want to compromise on the color combination for that model, too.
Also, I am actually getting a decent deal at this dealership in Texas. So, I thought this is the best option for me.
Old 03-07-17, 06:18 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

SantiP, I was in a similar boat as you. I live in Seattle and wanted a RWD and dealers here only bring AWD. What I can recommend is you go thru one of the dealers in your state, have them bring in the car you want if you happen to have the VIN, else do what I did, ask your dealer to source one from their network with the specs you want. In my case, they got it from AZ and shipped it to WA with full paint cover for the trip. Arriving in perfect condition. Just ask them to confirm mileage done before signing off. Good luck.
Old 03-07-17, 09:53 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

SantiP, I don't think you are allowed to bring to CA a brand new car from other state, they won't register it unless you have a valid reason (for example moving, etc).
If I am not mistaken the car must have at least 8 K miles on its odometer before you can bring it and register in CA.

I was in a similar position about a year ago - the IS I wanted was nowhere in the state (actually was nowhere in the US), I simply waited
about 3 months and they built me one exactly the way I wanted.
Old 03-07-17, 10:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

A lot of misinformation going on here. I bought a Texas car and had it shipped here. I didn't pay any sales tax in Texas as I told the dealer I would be using it in California. I had it smogged in Cali and then got it registered though the DMV and paid the sales tax at the same time as registration.

Easy process and the only difference is that you waste a little time doing the smog check and DMV registration.
Old 03-18-17, 06:51 PM
NesV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
A lot of misinformation going on here. I bought a Texas car and had it shipped here. I didn't pay any sales tax in Texas as I told the dealer I would be using it in California. I had it smogged in Cali and then got it registered though the DMV and paid the sales tax at the same time as registration.

Easy process and the only difference is that you waste a little time doing the smog check and DMV registration.
This^

I purchased my car from Texas as well. Had it delivered to SoCal. Just smog it, pay the taxes and fees at DMV and you're set.
Old 03-18-17, 07:32 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
A lot of misinformation going on here..
For the record I did not provide any misinformation, I simply stated what the official CA DMV website states about registering a new car purchased outside of CA: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
It is entirely possible your car that was purchased in Texas was already meeting CA emission standards (may not be the case for other car manufacturers). Another possibility - the law is no longer enforced or you fell under some sort of exception case that is mentioned in the link.
Old 03-22-17, 10:42 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ

Hey! Thanks for clarifying that!
Btw, did you need the title papers when you went for the smog check?
And the smog test is as simple as getting an appointment and taking your car there and getting it done, right?
Old 03-22-17, 10:43 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by Olasek
For the record I did not provide any misinformation, I simply stated what the official CA DMV website states about registering a new car purchased outside of CA: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
It is entirely possible your car that was purchased in Texas was already meeting CA emission standards (may not be the case for other car manufacturers). Another possibility - the law is no longer enforced or you fell under some sort of exception case that is mentioned in the link.
Thanks for that information!
Old 03-23-17, 06:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SantiP
And the smog test is as simple as getting an appointment and taking your car there and getting it done, right?
I'd bring the papers and tell them you want to register your car in CA. They will give you a paper copy of the smog results which you take to the DMV. Also, the DMV will collect your tax and when you register so bring a checkbook
Old 03-23-17, 09:24 AM
NesV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SantiP
You don't need the title paperwork when you do the smog check, but it wouldn't hurt to bring them. Just let the smog place know that you're smogging the car for an out of state transfer.

I recommend doing the smog test before going to the DMV, that way you don't make two trips to the DMV.

Smog places don't require appointments.
Old 03-23-17, 02:49 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by NesV
You don't need the title paperwork when you do the smog check, but it wouldn't hurt to bring them. Just let the smog place know that you're smogging the car for an out of state transfer.

I recommend doing the smog test before going to the DMV, that way you don't make two trips to the DMV.

Smog places don't require appointments.
Oh that's good! How long does a smog test last generally?
Old 03-23-17, 05:06 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

It takes minutes.
Are you new in CA?

Quick Reply: Buying an IS200t Out-Of-State (From Texas to California)