SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thoughts on a neglected SC430 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 09:22 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Thoughts on a neglected SC430 purchase

First time post in this section, usually I'm in the 2GS section. I currently own a 1999 GS400, 224k, all dealer serviced since new in 1999. The car is in mint condition. Not in the market for another car but came across a 2002 SC430 with 200,538 miles that a guy is selling for his family for $5,800. Oil changes have been done but no timing belt change that I can see from Lexus service history or the CarFax report. When I popped the hood it's probably the dirtiest engine I've seen. It does have a clean title.

Here are my concerns:
- No Keys (only the valet? this alone gave me pause. I would have to have the dealer make one)
- No Nav disk
- Trunk opens but top does not retract (again, another service item for the Lexus dealer but at what cost?)
- The timing belt / water pump service would have to be done (again, another cost)

I've test driven the car twice and even met the guy at his house, but not sure. I'm not in any rush - I can purchase this one and nurse it back to life, or just wait and find a lower mileage SC430. If the guy didn't live 5 minutes from me I wouldn't have even considered it. He is willing to discount the cost of the Key and to get the top fixed. I told him he might have to take it to Lexus to get a quote.

At any rate, just wanted to get opinions. I do like the car but obviously it needs work. If it's going to cost me $5k to get it back to where it needs to be I might as well wait.

Last edited by kevin3344; 03-06-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 10:21 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If I were you Kevin I would have to pass this deal. No key no nav no service records with over 200K miles doesn't sound like a family owned car. This guy may be flipping the car. On the cost side if you have to spent $5k after acquiring it would be like $10k for this 16 year old 200kmile car, not to mention all the hassle and uncertainty. IMO its just not worth it. You can easily find SC430s in much better condition for a lot less.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (04-26-17)
Old 03-06-17, 10:48 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you. I don't know what to make of the no key situation; it almost has the feel of a car that was bought at an auction.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (04-26-17)
Old 03-06-17, 10:58 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

So Kevin,

If it were a car with lower miles, the price would seem like a steal. After all, with a little research, the things you mentioned don't seem too bad. (Though a little expensive) However, what else is around the corner? If you buy the car and then spend the money to fix the things you named ($800 timing belt, $150 for key, $500 for top, $150 for the Nav disk) you still have to contend with the normal wear and tear items (Shocks, brakes, tires, hoses, belts) It sounds like you are looking at a future money pit.

Of course, you could look at it another way. For $5800 you get a SC you can drive. Sure it needs another key, a nav disk and to have the top fixed, but you don't need any of those things to go down the road. Over time you can fix those items. (Though you REALLY need to get the timing belt changed if it has 200k miles on it.) You are still looking at a MONEY PIT but if you can pay cash for the car and then do the work yourself to fix the broken parts, you maybe ok.

Personally, I would look at it this way. $5800 for the car plus another $800 + $150 + 500 + 150 = $7,400

If you can buy another SC for $7400 that has a working top, two keys, a nav disk and a newer timing belt, you are already better off.

P.S. I chose $500 to fix the top because it is a nice round number. It could be more ($2000+), it could be less ($0 if the valet button is pressed). Do a search for the main reasons tops don't work and see if you can try those to get an idea of how bad the top problem is)
Old 03-06-17, 11:23 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Without a working convertible top, an SC is just a car.

Top problems can be insanely expensive.

Pass.
Old 03-06-17, 11:24 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent points, thanks. It seems to be something off track, dunno. One thing I wanted to mention is he is open to lowering the price by the cost to repair the top. So I may have him drop the car off at the Lexus dealer and get a quote.

At this point I'm not sure. As jzdulexus mentioned the best this is ever going to get is a 16 yr old car with 200k miles. As you mentioned if I'm willing to fix as I go, it might be something that over time can work but the timing belt / water pump will need to be done asap.

I'm just big on regular service and the CarFax doesn't show any major component changes after 120,000 miles. Even though my GS 400 is well taken care of, it's had it's own repairs like motor & transmission mounts, a radiator, fuel pump and spark plugs. Those things just wear out over time, and I've taken care of my car. But things do happen.
Old 03-06-17, 11:46 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The tricky part may be who is going to pay for the $100 diagnose fee. If you want an independent and thorough assessment you may have to pay for it upfront. Just his telling you what his dealer friend thinks may cost is not going to cut it.
Chances are if you take it to dealership it can easily end up giving you an estimate of more than $5000 for all sorts of things the car needs.
Old 03-06-17, 12:01 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

That's true. Maybe I could say let's take it to the Lexus dealer and I could pay the diagnostic fee. I've used the same service rep for 10 years he knows me well.

If the top is less than $2k, offer him the price less the cost to repair the top? And key? Dunno what else the dealer is going to find. On a car like this I'm sure they will find something.
Old 03-06-17, 12:25 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Run away from this. Unless you are a lexus trained master mechanic .
Old 03-06-17, 12:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Run away from this. Unless you are a lexus trained master mechanic .
I 2nd this. $5800 is A LOT of $$$$ for a neglected car with 200k miles. And this isn't a Honda Civic where parts are cheap and you can fix with a cresent wrench and a phillips screw driver.
Old 03-06-17, 04:51 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
That's true. Maybe I could say let's take it to the Lexus dealer and I could pay the diagnostic fee. I've used the same service rep for 10 years he knows me well.

If the top is less than $2k, offer him the price less the cost to repair the top? And key? Dunno what else the dealer is going to find. On a car like this I'm sure they will find something.
if you cannot do the work, don't do it! This has the potential for thousands of dollars of work. If you however are mechanical, electrical and have tools, offer the guy $3k or walk.
Old 03-07-17, 10:37 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd wager the car might need $10k worth of work to make it right. I'd run in the other direction particularly if you are picky about your cars and have a Lexus that is well maintained and in mint condition. Problems with the top can be $5k+ all by itself if hinges and motor assemblies need to be replaced. This one sounds like a neglected dog that was likely bought at auction for $3-4k.
Old 03-07-17, 10:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

If he is truly going to discount the car to cover the top and the key, then that will leave you with the service items revolving around the timing belt, which could be in the $1200 range (depending on where you take it) and the DVD likely to be in the $100 to $150 range. If you have a DVD from the generation 2/3 NAV system, you should try it in his system just to ensure that it works, or you can require that he get a quote for all the items known to have issues.

Be sure to drive it since it has obviously been neglected, it may need considerable suspension work also.

It sounds like you have had the dealer do all your work in the past, does that mean that you would have the work done on this car by someone else? If so, I agree to keep looking for a better deal.

I agree that it does sound like an auction car, either that or a car that was horribly neglected for 200k miles. Either case is a strong argument to tread very carefully.
Old 03-07-17, 02:49 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to him today and he said he would go to $4,800 but I'm hesitant. I'm guessing it will need $3-4k worth of work, and there are unknowns. I am thinking about waiting because this will be just a weekend car for me and I don't want to get into too many problems.

I've had most of my work done at the dealer on my GS, but I also have an Indy that's pretty good (exclusive to Lexus, BMW, Mercedes).
Old 03-07-17, 03:39 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I really question the car not having the DVD for the nav - why would anyone take the disk out?

and you can get a gen4 nav on ebay pretty cheap along with a DVD

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a neglected SC430 purchase