LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

New LX570 Bump Steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 11:59 AM
alabaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New LX570 Bump Steer

Hi there. I just replaced my problematic 2016 Escalade Platinum with the new LX570. Great ride, fit and finish and no problem so far. Except, I have bump steer at speeds over 70 MPH whenever I hit a regular size cracks on the freeways. The steering wheel shakes at that moment then settles in again when the surface becomes smooth. I took it to the dealer and they said its normal for SUVs with big 21 inch low profile tires. I have 22s on my Escalade and I never had that kind of problem. Needless to say dealer said they can't do anything as it is the nature of that SUV. I took my SUV to a tire shop and had them road force balance all 4 wheels, in case that will solve it. It didn't. Same bump steer still exist.Any thoughts guys?

Aside from the above mentioned problem, here are my thoughts about the new LX570 compared to my 16 Escalade Platinum. I'll just throw them below:

-The LX looks is growing on me. I think its a good looking SUV. I got white color.
-Rides better than the Escalade, although sometimes the 22s make the ride a little busy.
-The Escalade is much quieter though with very little tire noise and engine noise
-LX570 Navigation is big and very easy to use. Escalade navigation is awful.
-The LX has better visibilty due to thinner A and B pillars.
-The LX570 seats are softer, but I don't like the sunk in feel on my hips. The bottom cushion part near the back cushion is much much lower than the thigh support. (Feels like sitting in a bowl)
-The Escalade has better armrest for both left and right (just my preference)
-The LX is slower than the Slade in terms of acceleration and passing (we all knew that)
-The LX average 13-14 MPG, The Slade ave 16-18 MPG
-The LX active cruise is smoother than the Slade, no sudden abrupt braking.
-Escalde rides much harder and stiffer. Although its smoother on high freeway speed. Magnetic Ride probably designed for high speed.
-The Slade has some annoying electrical glitches. Press a memory seat and it will pump its lumbar support to its max. Frozen NAV system etc. Dealer fix it once and the same problems remains.
-For some reason, the Slade has more solid feel on the doors and interior stuffs (maybe its Platinum). The LX has slight rattles here and there.
-The LX LED headlights are very very bright. Makes night driving easier.
-The LX Mark Levinson is a let down for me. It just sounds bad with more emphasis on the center speaker. No matter how high the bitrate of the source. (CD, DVD, Tidal, Spotify)
I recently installed a $1000 NAV/sound system on my old Series 100 Landcruiser and its sounds way way better than the LX ML.My guess is that ML was only calibrated for classical music.
-The Slade Bose centerpoint sound system no better though. My favorite sound system were my old 2007 and 2010 Escalade Bose and the new GS 350 Fsport (my daughters) sound system.
-As we know it, the LX 4wd system is simply awesome. I got caught in a snow blizzard going to June Lake, Ca at 1 AM, and the LX570 traction and braking made it a breeze.

Overall. I like the new LX570. Its just this bump steer that's bothering me.
The following 2 users liked this post by alabaster:
mikeivan (03-02-17), yakim (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 12:16 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to read another new owner's thoughts on the LX. We have now had our 17 LX for one month. I have not noticed the bump steer you speak of as I find the ride to be solid and pretty composed. We have the 21" wheels, and even though they are the larger size, I find the sidewalls to be plentiful, and the ride comfortable. May be worth taking it in for service to see what they say.

We do seem to have a couple of our own problems however.

1. I hear a very low volume noise form the right rear wheel when in motion. To me, it sounds like a hub assembly/wheel bearing, but I do not know for sure
2. We have constant brake pedal pressure change. I can feel/hear the brake system priming each time I put my foot on the pedal. The pedal pressure changes frequently and I have nearly ran in to a couple cars in front of me at stoplights as the brake pressure I am applying all of a sudden is not adequate, and the vehicle begins to creep forward.

I have made an appointment to bring it in for service in a two weeks. So we shall see.
Old 03-01-17, 01:28 PM
alabaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have the same exact feel on the brake pedal but I got use to it now. Feels like there's 2 stages of spring loaded pedal resistance. Somewhere in the middle of the pedal press, I will feel another engagement of some sort of spring/tick. That could be the heavily spring loaded switch for the tail lights. And sometimes that amount of pedal press is enough to hold the SUV from moving, and sometimes that same pedal force is not enough, thus you the SUV suddenly moves to which you apply an even greater pedal press. I told the dealer about it and as usual, they said its the way its design.
Old 03-01-17, 01:33 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by alabaster
-The LX Mark Levinson is a let down for me. It just sounds bad with more emphasis on the center speaker. No matter how high the bitrate of the source. (CD, DVD, Tidal, Spotify)
I recently installed a $1000 NAV/sound system on my old Series 100 Landcruiser and its sounds way way better than the LX ML.My guess is that ML was only calibrated for classical music.
ML speakers need some time (running in period). It will be much better after 5 - 10,000 miles.
Old 03-01-17, 02:01 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

The "they all do that" response from the dealer may really be true. It's a trade-off for having bigger wheels and lower profile tires. Maybe they will swap you a different set of wheels and tires for a test drive to see if the bump steer improves or goes away. The LX is a strange vehicle in that it has a lot of off road capability, but doesn't come equipped with suitable wheels or tires for that use, And, the truck parts limit its genteel limo highway ride ability.
Old 03-01-17, 02:55 PM
andreasP
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine used to give me vibrations over some bad roads that I feel the whole cabin vibrates but since changing them to 20s with 275/60 rubber I can only smile and do really enjoy those roads again. The whole vehicle feels much more insulated from all roads beneath that I started to use the sport and sport+ settings and still don't get any of the vibrations from before.
Old 03-01-17, 07:52 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1
The LX is a strange vehicle in that it has a lot of off road capability, but doesn't come equipped with suitable wheels or tires for that use, And, the truck parts limit its genteel limo highway ride ability.
But it's quite easy to fix. Just put some 17" or 18" wheels and you can call it "Land Cruiser" again :-)
Old 03-01-17, 08:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

downsize the wheels to the prior 5 star 20 inch versions. I think u may resolve the issue.
These 21 inch wheels are an issue b/c there is only one tire for your suv.
Old 03-02-17, 08:12 AM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoyed the compare / contrast. The other platforms do have some advantages. I do like the LX for the balance and capability it strikes, understanding the tradeoffs it has to make in other areas.

I would say the bump steer is more a tradeoff relative to the on-road oriented Slade, in that the LX has more 'rubber' or deflection in it's joints for offroad-ability. If you've ever driven a jeep, now those are god awefull in its straight line stability and bump steer.

Did the dealer check the alignment? Often times with a new car delivery, the suspension settles and will require an alignment. Just say it tramlines and poor directional stability on the hwy. Or perhaps that is what you're experiencing?
Old 03-08-17, 09:32 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Test drive another one to see for yourself if they indeed "all do that".
Old 03-10-17, 04:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by alabaster
I also have the same exact feel on the brake pedal but I got use to it now. Feels like there's 2 stages of spring loaded pedal resistance. Somewhere in the middle of the pedal press, I will feel another engagement of some sort of spring/tick. That could be the heavily spring loaded switch for the tail lights. And sometimes that amount of pedal press is enough to hold the SUV from moving, and sometimes that same pedal force is not enough, thus you the SUV suddenly moves to which you apply an even greater pedal press. I told the dealer about it and as usual, they said its the way its design.
I have owned every year LX and there is a "slack space" that you have to push through on the brake pedal before the brake actually starts to work. You get used to it quickly.
Old 03-10-17, 09:10 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I have owned every year LX and there is a "slack space" that you have to push through on the brake pedal before the brake actually starts to work. You get used to it quickly.
The 200 series braking system definitely responds to not only your pressure on the pedal, but also to how fast you actuate the pedal.