LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Lexus 460 Radiator overflow tube damaged during repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 06:57 PM
PabloBontt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus 460 Radiator overflow tube damaged during repair

I broke the radiator overflow tube doing a repair.
Any tips on how to fix it without replacing the whole radiator?
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
shtorm (05-02-20)
Old 02-27-17, 07:51 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Can you weld a new tip onto the broken end? There are also many glues that will attach broken metal pieces together. I don't know how durable gluing would be, but these glues are meant to work in extreme conditions. Good luck. I hope you don't have to replace the radiator.
PabloBontt (02-27-17)
Old 02-28-17, 08:05 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

A good person to speak on this (who im sure will chime in) is Roadfrog.
I believe he accidentally broke the attachment that closer to the middle of the rad on the top. He glued his but ended up just replacing it because he found a low-cost rad and didn't want to worry about the "compromised" rad in the future.
When I was doing my water pump repair a while back, I had to constantly be aware of where I was leaning as not to snap the attachment!
A good few have broken that piece while reaching into the engine bay and accidentally leaning on that said area and breaking/cracking the attachment.
Some have used JB Weld and others have fused it using a weld approach.
From what I do recall, gluing/fusing does hold pretty well.
From the looks of it though, it appears that the piece that broke off inside the upper rad hose is rusted.
If so, perhaps replacing the rad wouldn't be a bad idea.
Good luck and im sure Chris will chime in shortly, if not while im writing this post!

Edit:
Here is a link that may help you out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-radiator.html

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-28-17 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 02-28-17, 08:11 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't try to fix it its too risky. We're talking about something that can blow your motor. Very bad idea.
Old 02-28-17, 08:15 AM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did that too when I did my serpentine belt/pulleys. Just get a new radiator, your old car could use it for peace of mind. Otherwise, good luck trusting the fix to hold once it's pressurized.
Old 02-28-17, 08:34 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I broke mine as well. It is better just to replace. Fixing it is temporary to get you to and from somewhere. You do not want to chance it leaking while driving somewhere as the posts above have said, it'll have a good chance to cause great harm to your car. These are cheap and easy enough to replace.
Old 02-28-17, 08:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Tada! Lol.

Yep, many of us have suffered this mishap. Mine broke from leaning on it as well, while replacing a water pump and serpentine belt. It really is a bad design. While I did temporarily fix it until my new rad arrived, I would not have placed a ton of optimism that it would hold forever. I bought a threaded nipple from my local auto parts house and used a thread tap in the appropriate thread, then screwed the new nipple in place with some JB Weld for good measure. I drove the car like that for a while until my rad arrived and it never leaked a drop. Replacing the rad is quite easy though. I bought my rad with a lifetime warranty on Ebay for 50 bucks or so and it's been problem free for nearly years. Price has gone up, but this is what I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/13037-NEW-RA...3D152208844021

Rock Auto also sell them with lifetime warranty for about 80 dollars or so.

While I was replacing the rad, I also took the advantage of the situation by replacing all the hoses and clamps, flushing the cooling system etc.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-28-17 at 07:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by roadfrog:
drwatson1 (08-13-17), PabloBontt (02-28-17), shtorm (05-02-20)
Old 02-28-17, 09:08 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Tada! Lol.

Yep, many of us have suffered this mishap. Mine broke from leaning on it as well, while replacing a water pump and serpentine belt. It really is a bad design. While I did temporarily fix it until my new rad arrived, I would not have placed a ton of optimism that it would hold forever. I bought a threaded nipple from my local auto parts house and used a thread tap in the appropriate thread, then screwed the new nipple in place with some JB Weld for good measure. I drove the car like that for a while until my rad arrived and it never leaked a drop. Replacing the rad is quite easy though. I bought my rad with a lifetime warranty on Ebay for 50 bucks or so and it's been problem free for nearly years. Price has gone up, but this is what I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/13037-NEW-RADIATOR-FOR-LEXUS-FITS-LS460-4-6-V8-8CYL-/251394494386?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item3a88478fb2:g:MRIAAOSwl9BWG829&vxp=mtr

While I was replacing the rad, I also took the advantage of the situation by replacing all the hoses and clamps, flushing the cooling system etc.
Great advice here. If you haven't done it already, then would be a good time to do it just for good measure.
When I did my water pump (with the help of my good buddy Chris), I went ahead and changed out my hoses. I didn't do my belt because it was replaced by the dealer shortly before I purchased the car. That and the radiator.
PabloBontt (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 02:47 PM
PabloBontt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I believe he accidentally broke the attachment that closer to the middle of the rad on the top. He glued his but ended up just replacing it because he found a low-cost rad and didn't want to worry about the "compromised" rad in the future.
When I was doing my water pump repair a while back, I had to constantly be aware of where I was leaning as not to snap the attachment!
A good few have broken that piece while reaching into the engine bay and accidentally leaning on that said area and breaking/cracking the attachment.
Some have used JB Weld and others have fused it using a weld approach.
From what I do recall, gluing/fusing does hold pretty well.
From the looks of it though, it appears that the piece that broke off inside the upper rad hose is rusted.
If so, perhaps replacing the rad wouldn't be a bad idea.
Good luck and im sure Chris will chime in shortly, if not while im writing this post!

Edit:
Here is a link that may help you out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-radiator.html
Thanks so much for your support!
Old 02-28-17, 03:00 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by PabloBontt
And the best part is.......... it was free! (although Chris, aka roadfrog, has been known to work for beer )

Welcome to Club Lexus, and now that you have joined, please don't be a stranger.
PabloBontt (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 03:21 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Tada! Lol.

Yep, many of us have suffered this mishap. Mine broke from leaning on it as well, while replacing a water pump and serpentine belt. It really is a bad design. While I did temporarily fix it until my new rad arrived, I would not have placed a ton of optimism that it would hold forever. I bought a threaded nipple from my local auto parts house and used a thread tap in the appropriate thread, then screwed the new nipple in place with some JB Weld for good measure. I drove the car like that for a while until my rad arrived and it never leaked a drop. Replacing the rad is quite easy though. I bought my rad with a lifetime warranty on Ebay for 50 bucks or so and it's been problem free for nearly years. Price has gone up, but this is what I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/13037-NEW-RADIATOR-FOR-LEXUS-FITS-LS460-4-6-V8-8CYL-/251394494386?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item3a88478fb2:g:MRIAAOSwl9BWG829&vxp=mtr

Told ya he'd appear..I swear this guy has a "DIY 6th Sense" lol!!

Originally Posted by PabloBontt
Oh, absolutely man! No problem at all. This forum is a goldmine of information and fantastic people. Wishing you luck with moving forward with this repair, as im sure you'll do just fine with it.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
And the best part is.......... it was free! (although Chris, aka roadfrog, has been known to work for beer )

Welcome to Club Lexus, and now that you have joined, please don't be a stranger.
Indeed Chris will work for beer, however, none of the weak American stuff we have here!
Lastly to the OP, indeed...welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 02-28-17, 03:31 PM
PabloBontt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!
Having my lexus 460 is a dream come true. I'm loving it (and braking it too LOL)

Thanks again!
Old 02-28-17, 03:44 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Tada! Lol.

​​​​​​​wow, with the technique you used to repair that radiator I wouldn't be surprised if it held for a very long time (maybe forever).
Old 02-28-17, 03:48 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I broke mine also leaning on it after replacing a pulley and serpentine belt. I tried the plastic weld which didn't last long. The pressure finally blew the nipple off while I was driving home from work one night. I think a warning came on and I noticed the temp getting hotter and hotter. I turned the heater on full blast and prayed I'd make it home without overheating. I was about 10min away from my house. I ordered and new OEM radiator that lexus revised with a bigger nipple and had to order a new hose to fit the bigger size on that one end. Replaced myself...not too bad of a job.
Old 02-28-17, 03:59 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Here's one for $44.78!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-07-12-L...FXs~0d&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus 460 Radiator overflow tube damaged during repair