LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts between two Fire Agate Pearls

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 02:19 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Thoughts between two Fire Agate Pearls

Hi everyone,

I'm still bummed at losing the 2013 Nebula Gray/Flaxen UltraLux a few days ago. Someone on CL recently posted the following wise words: "No need to rush into a depreciating asset."

I have found great comfort in that quote while I plod forward in hopes of finding another gem. At least time will lower prices.

I have come across two Fire Agate Pearl examples, an unusual color I was not familiar with until very recently. I will need to see it in person before making final judgment. Both cars appear to have semi-analine upgrade, 19-inch rims, Mark Levinson, air suspension, blind-side monitoring, and ultra luxury rear seat upgrade. Both cars appear to be identically optioned like the Nebula Gray I lost.

Question is, which would you go with, and what would be a fair price (knowing that CarMax price is fixed)?

Valley Lexus (in Modesto, CA):
$43K, 55K miles. Description online says "L/Certified", but the dealer's own page only lists it as Pre-Owned (as opposed to a Liquid Platinum on their site that is listed as L/Certitied). I have reached out to the dealer for clarification and may go check it out in person next weekend. I do prefer the lighter leather of this example over the Carmax black interior. Would have preferred the Shimamoku over the Dark Brown Ash Burl but oh well.
http://www.valleylexus.com/VehicleDe...-CA/2941277033

CarMax:
35K miles. No price because they are in the process of transferring it (for free) to my local CarMax, but I believe it was listed at $45K or $46K.
https://www.carmax.com/car/14230924
Old 02-26-17, 02:38 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lol please just buy a 460 already... who cares what everyone thinks. Buy what makes you happy.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (02-27-17)
Old 02-26-17, 02:46 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Lol please just buy a 460 already... who cares what everyone thinks. Buy what makes you happy.
Oh how I would love to, LsGuy. Am open to input between two choices. I don't know about that color though. Need to see it for myself.

Valley Lexus called me a moment ago. Turns out it DOES have L/Certified warranty. 2 years/unlimited miles from the date someone purchases it (not 6 years from in service date), salesperson confirmed it with finance person. Also includes 2yr/20k service.
Old 02-26-17, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Thats a tough one. I personally prefer the black interior to the parchment, but I like that combo of the fire agate and the parchment. The carpeting in the parchment is hard to keep clean. Thats why I like my grey and the flaxen, they have black carpet. Hard to argue with 35k miles, its still under the factory warranty and if you wanted to you could buy a Lexus platinum extended warranty up until that factory warranty elapsed. The carmax one also has aftermarket chrome wheels which may or may not be an issue for you. That one is a 2014 vs a 2013 though.

Depending on how much you drive you have about a year left on the factory warranty on the Carmax car, 2 years for the certified warranty on the Lexus car, boils down to a year of coverage difference.

It would come down to seeing them in person probably, but the Lexus car at 3k cheaper would be tough to overcome unless I hated the Parchment. That $3k could extend the warranty out a lot further for you, and you have the added comfort of it being sold by a Lexus dealer.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-26-17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 03:15 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

20k miles difference is not much. I would personally go with the slightly higher mileage and get the CPO / service agreement vs Carmax. I don't think their pricing is particularly competitive as well. I'm just not a fan of the light colored leather when it comes to longevity.
Old 02-26-17, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I also have seen a lot of really rough cars on the lots at Carmax. Seen some rough cars at Lexus dealers too, but that particular one really looks nice.

I'm leaning that way too.
Old 02-26-17, 03:37 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thanks, Steve/LsGuy. I echo the same sentiments...preferred the Nebula Gray with Flaxen for the dark carpet. I also prefer Shimamoku but the light leather and wood doesn't look bad in this case.

Now that warranty coverage has been established, I would consider the Valley Lexus example over Carmax. And, agreed, some of Carmax's offerings have not been in very good condition.

Steve, are you sure about the aftermarket wheels? Zooming in on photos, it seems both cars have Lexus rims. I don't like the multi-spoke turbine wheels as much as the 5-star split spoke, but I can live with it (or replace it).

I can't get to the dealership until this Saturday so we'll see if it's meant to be with the color and everything.

As an aside, I loved the darker Flaxen and gray of the other car because it added to the sporty nature of the air suspension. The lighter interior kind of takes away from some of the sporty pretensions.
Old 02-26-17, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They are the OEM rims, but they are chrome. Lexus didn't offer a chrome option, therefore they have to be aftermarket chromed OEM rims. Depending on who did them you may have issues with flaking, etc down the line.
Old 02-26-17, 05:00 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Easy decision. Do you like dark or light interior? I like light and would not consider dark. To each his own. Both look like heaven on wheels.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (02-26-17)
Old 02-26-17, 05:20 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd prefer flaxen over parchment, but that parchment/walnut interior is very nice.
Old 02-26-17, 05:28 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I like the carmax one myself. Our dealer has a 2014 now silver on black. 45k with 35 miles i think. I just checked its gone now was there on friday.

They have a 2017 sell price in 80k. They can move fast used.
Old 02-26-17, 06:39 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

It depends on what interior color you prefer and options. Carmax LS comes with radar cruise control where as dealership one seems to have reclining seat.

I prefer light interior over dark, also not much into Carmax. I would go with dealership one....good luck and keep us posted.,
Old 02-26-17, 06:44 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by satiger
It depends on what interior color you prefer and options. Carmax LS comes with radar cruise control where as dealership one seems to have reclining seat.

I prefer light interior over dark, also not much into Carmax. I would go with dealership one....good luck and keep us posted.,
Very astute observation, satiger! I totally missed that. However, I don't have a need for DRCC. I rarely use normal cruise control as it is. It's just not a feature that appeals to me, but good catch nonetheless. Both cars appear to have the reclining seats. The dealership one seems to be a better value overall. With this particular color, I do prefer the lighter interior. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-17, 06:45 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Only you can decide what's best, but ask yourself: if you bought one of these two cars and if another car became available with the paint/leather/wood you preferred, would you regret your purchase?

My preference has been for LS460 CPO vehicles, but the CarMax car has 20K miles less, is a 2014 instead of a 2013, and could have as much as 15K / 2 years (depending on in-service date) left on the factory warranty. One thing I'd want to know: would the car be eligible for a Lexus Platinum extended service plan by the expiration of the factory warranty?

i'd also want to see the usual, such as the service history of the car, a Carfax report, a PPI, and ideally some insight on how the car was used/driven. To me, one-owner cars can be better bets than multiple owner cars. A visual inspection, as you plan to make, is vital, too. Naturally, the pricing must be reasonable, too.

ETA: I see SW15LS previously wrote about the warranty possibilities for the CarMax car.

Last edited by Gbp; 02-27-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 07:15 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gbp
Only you can decide what's best, but ask yourself: if you bought one of these two cars and if another car became available with the paint/leather/wood you preferred, would you regret your purchase?

My preference has been for LS460 CPO vehicles, but the CarMax car has 20K miles less, is a 2014 instead of a 2013, and could have as much as 15K / 2 years (depending on in-service date) left on the factory warranty. One thing I'd want to know: would the car be eligible for a Lexus Platinum extended service plan by the expiration of the factory warranty?

i'd also want to see the usual, such as the service history of the car, a Carfax report, a PPI, and ideally some insight on how the car was used/driven. To me, one-owner cars can be better bets than multiple owner cars. A visual inspection, as you plan to make, is vital, too. Naturally, the pricing must be reasonable, too.
Thank you, Gbp. You always manage to keep me focused when I begin to veer off-center. I missed the DRCC that satiger caught and I also missed the MY differences too that you, and Steve, mentioned. I understand there were minor tweaks to the Nav each year between 2013-2015.

I did ask myself the very question you posed. I am still smitten by that Nebula Gray/Flaxen UltraLux and wonder if the seller may even reconsider to sell it again in a few months. What if he does so and I already made a purchase?? I don't think I would be too pleased with that hypothetical. I do think I owe it to myself to see this Fire Agate Pearl in person before saying I would regret the purchase compared to a Nebula Gray/Flaxen that becomes available.

The Valley Lexus Fire Agate Pearl's service history does show an incident where the owner swerved to avoid a cat and hit a curb. It was bad enough that they needed to replace two lower control arms on the front passenger side and also the rack and pinion because the steering wheel became "off center" (attached PDF). Sounds pretty bad. But then it was all repaired and will still have two years CPO warranty. How would that sway you now?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013FireAgateUltraLuxSWB.pdf (72.6 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-26-17 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts between two Fire Agate Pearls