Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't relay solely on the reaview camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 12:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Don't relay solely on the reaview camera

We were backing out of a parking lot the other day and a 70's driver is in the process of doing the same. He'd didn't scan left or right to check other cars to notice I was halfway out of the stall but simply looked at his rearview camera ignoring the back out queue of 2 other cars and pulls all the way out. Some of the tech is negating what should be good driving practice to insure the surroundings are safe. SMH
Old 02-25-17, 01:43 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

I 100% agree!
Old 02-26-17, 02:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I pretty much rely more on my rear view camera than I should admit, but now my mercedes has multiple viewing angles, including a wide angle view and a surround camera birds eye view. In addition, it has rear cross traffic alert systems. Of course, the good old fashion turning of the head is most assuring, but cars are getting so smart that if you know how to use the tech, there shouldn't be a downside. What kind of car was he driving? He must have had a very straight on rearward view
Old 02-27-17, 05:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

I'm in the same boat as RXSF. Don't have all the bells and whistles, but the rear cross traffic alert has saved me a few times trying to get out of tight spots.
Old 02-27-17, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The styling of many of today's vehicles doesn't help much, either, for outward visibility. That's one area that the Subaru Forester really excels in......simple, large, square, easy-to-see-out-of windows. Automakers, take note.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-27-17 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 12:39 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate the rear view cams. Installed for safety, yea right. They give you massive tunnel vision. I never use mine and turn my head every time.

As for cross traffic alert, NOTHING was better than the previous generation 4Runner's D-Pillar mirrors. Man, that there, was a good idea. And they got rid of them. I'll never understand why. Simple, effective, and always there. You can see clear down the street with them.

Old 02-27-17, 12:41 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I consider all this tech a secondary aide to actually knowing how to drive.
Old 02-27-17, 12:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
As for cross traffic alert, NOTHING was better than the previous generation 4Runner's D-Pillar mirrors. Man, that there, was a good idea. And they got rid of them. I'll never understand why. Simple, effective, and always there. You can see clear down the street with them.
I had those mirrors on my 07 4Runner and agree, they were absolutely fantastic. The best ideas are so often the simplest ones.
Old 02-27-17, 02:26 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some old dude in a newer minivan (with a camera) backed into my parked car once...a week after I got it.

Frankly, there is no excuse for backing into a car or person if you have a camera. It is idiot-proof yet some people still manage to screw up. There should be no way you hit anything with a camera for guidance.
Old 02-27-17, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I had those mirrors on my 07 4Runner and agree, they were absolutely fantastic. The best ideas are so often the simplest ones.
You might be able to buy and mount your own. Cheap mirrors usually are available in any corner drug store.

I agree, BTW......those 4Runner mirrors were an excellent idea.
Old 02-27-17, 04:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I 2nd those 4 Runner mirrors, super handy, should be standard in all SUV's. Also a lot of delivery and box vans have a mirror on the back that does the same thing as the 4Runner mirror, keeps you from backing over somebody in a windowless van.

Old 02-27-17, 05:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
I hate the rear view cams. Installed for safety, yea right. They give you massive tunnel vision. I never use mine and turn my head every time.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You might be able to buy and mount your own. Cheap mirrors usually are available in any corner drug store.

I agree, BTW......those 4Runner mirrors were an excellent idea.
I like this OEM feature. My rear window looks like it has a darker tint than shown here. Thinking this could be a problem? Cheap DIY mirrors from a drug store for a Lexus....No sir, thanks anyway
Old 02-27-17, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
I like this OEM feature. My rear window looks like it has a darker tint than shown here. Thinking this could be a problem? Cheap DIY mirrors from a drug store for a Lexus....No sir, thanks anyway
That was only assuming you could no longer get the stock-original ones. Obviously, if possible, they would be preferable. Might be able to pick them up on E-Bay or an Internet buying service.
Old 02-28-17, 07:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and another reason why its safer to back into a spot than pull forward into one
Old 02-28-17, 07:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I actually find it better to pull forward into a spot. When I'm between a couple SUVs or Minivans, I need aids like the RCTA or mirrors to see if it's clear when I'm pulling out. If I'm pulling forward out of a spot, I have no aides to assist me, so my entire hood is sticking out before I'm in a position to be able to see. Without those aids, though, I'd say it's a toss up but in those cases I would typically rather to back in, as you've suggested.

Quick Reply: Don't relay solely on the reaview camera