RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Apexi Throttle Controller voids warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 03:25 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Apexi Throttle Controller voids warranty?

Took my RC F in for some warranty work - a failed catalytic converter and failed lumbar support adjustment on the driver's seat. Probably should have thought about this beforehand, but left the Apexi throttle controller installed. I should have unplugged it, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. Anyways, when I picked the car up I got pulled aside by the Lexus tech and he informed me that if there were any future problems with the ECU or related (I assume throttle body electronics, etc) that Lexus would almost certainly not honor the warranty. I'm not sure about laws from state to state, and may have to do some research on this but my thought was that owners have some protection with regard to aftermarket parts and warranty. I have not gone as far as seeing what Apexi has to say about this, but I am pretty sure that they have the usual disclaimer about being for offroad use, etc. So I think I am done for with regard to this dealer and any future warranty claim if it involves ECU or related. Curious about others' experience with this same issue.

If Lexus didn't program the throttle response from my grandma's car in the RC F, then no need for the throttle controller, was my only comment to them. I'll be out of warranty soon anyway, at 34K miles.
Old 02-25-17, 07:23 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

I believe that things like this vary with dealer.....but the dealer has to prove that the "aftermarket piece" is the reason why the "oem part" failed in order to deny a claim under warranty. SEMA will step in and assist if needed as well with regards to this.
The following users liked this post:
Fysisist (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 03:08 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm interested in the apexi as well but can't find any diy's on the install..
Old 02-25-17, 07:40 PM
pheen619
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo1
It is pretty straight forward. Unplug the pigtail to the accelerator pedal and install the Apexi in between.

This might help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...love-it-d.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nd-review.html
Old 02-25-17, 08:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP, it's too bad on the dealer's response but I guess it's not a surprise. If ever you'd have a serious issue, they would have to demonstrate that a failure is due to the throttle controller and not just make an assumption to it as a root cause.

Originally Posted by cosmo1
Besides the couple links above, I posted a mini "diy" in my build, if this helps... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ost9536349some key pics on co
Fysisist (02-26-17)
Old 02-27-17, 05:48 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

How much did the catalytic converter cost without warranty coverage. Surprised that failed and that may actually be ominous.

The dealer is not denying the warranty claim. They don't really care. Lexus warranty rep in that region would make that call or approve that work. He may just be giving you a heads up based on previous experience with this regional rep so taking it to another dealer within that region would not make a difference.

He also identified certain parts that could be an issue. Obviously, failure of a lumbar support or catalytic converter would not be caused by a throttle controller, but an ECU failure or something directly impacted by the aftermarket part may be difficult to argue around.

I had a very good friend that was this person for BMW in my region and I have dealt with these reps directly for both Porsche and Lotus when warranty issues arose. Dealers went to bat for me, but I still had to speak directly to the reps several times to get everything ironed out. Dealers can exert a lot of influence in getting these reps to cover uncovered items or goodwill items, but you generally have to be a very solid and long lasting customer for the dealer to go to bat for you on something like this and before the rep will listen or care. Warranty reps will be happy to void or deny coverage and they get audited on this stuff as do dealers.
B0077144 (06-23-18)