IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 11:08 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels

Hi everyone! Just picked up a new 2017 IS 300 AWD F-Sport in Atomic Silver / Red. This is my second Lexus coming from a RC 350. Very happy with the car! The smaller V6 packs plenty of power (which was a concern coming from the bigger engine).

One thing I dislike about sedans is the piano black b-pillar panels on the side doors because they are so delicate. Even using a microfiber cloth is a toss up as to whether or not fine scratches will appear.

Is there a product / method to removing the hairline scratches that works without using a machine? I have Quixx Scratch Remover which I swear by for removing scratches from paint, but don't want to make the glossy pillar surface any worse. Otherwise, is there a way to remove the panels so that I can wrap them and reapply without breaking them or ruin the car? Thanks for your advice!

Here are some pictures:
New Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels-fullsizerender-2-.jpgNew Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels-fullsizerender-1-.jpgNew Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels-fullsizerender.jpgNew Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels-img_0010.jpg
Old 02-23-17, 12:05 PM
FURAIBO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi and welcome,

that's one nice 2017 IS! Wish we had the 300/350 over here...
As for the b-pillar panels, I feel you... I don't really have a long-term solution regarding the hairline scratches, but perhaps this solution suits you?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232110630221
Old 02-23-17, 01:09 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FURAIBO
Hi and welcome,

that's one nice 2017 IS! Wish we had the 300/350 over here...
As for the b-pillar panels, I feel you... I don't really have a long-term solution regarding the hairline scratches, but perhaps this solution suits you?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232110630221
Thanks for the info. I'd rather wrap the pillar than put a cutout decal where you can see the edges.
Old 02-23-17, 01:56 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I had a section on my driver door that was scratched pretty bad. I started looking for OEM replacements thinking that it was ruined.
In my exhaustive search I found this, it looks like it is just an "applique". I couldn't really figure anything out.
I think it's just a shiny piece of plastic with adhesive on the back side.
Luckily, it polished out perfectly.
Old 02-24-17, 12:02 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Machine polishing is probably the only way I can think of. I push the door closed using the door handle to avoid scratching this area.
Old 02-24-17, 05:40 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Thanks for the info. I'd rather wrap the pillar than put a cutout decal where you can see the edges.

If i am not wrong, the precut is just a vinyl film that has already been measured for perfect fitment..? It should be pretty easy either way and save that $35 and get the vinyl and do it yourself.
Old 02-24-17, 07:34 AM
FURAIBO
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

For comparison, this should be the OEM part mentioned by doodlebug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302046701177
Old 02-24-17, 08:26 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FURAIBO
For comparison, this should be the OEM part mentioned by doodlebug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302046701177
this is a piller for the 2IS.

if you want to dress up the pillar a bit, instead of wrapping it, slap on some CF

https://www.carid.com/bi/carbon-fibe....html#warranty
Old 02-24-17, 10:05 AM
FURAIBO
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dnasians
this is a piller for the 2IS.
Still highlights what the actual OEM part (75756C) will look like
A flawless OEM pillar covered with a protective layer (3M and the like) would be the ultimate solution I guess. Besides, as you rightly pointed out there are various carbon fiber look or stainless trims... flowers anybody?

Source: http://www.arcray.biz/products.html#pillar
Old 02-25-17, 09:48 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To OP:

If you are trying to take out serious scratches on B-pillar panels, hand polishing takes a long, long time without satisfactory resul.

If looking for perfect finish ( i.e., swirl free, no marring in any lighting), go for machine polishing with right tool, a very light compound and some skills would do.

Start with a final finishing pad first. You would see black stuff coming out as the shiny black panels are actually painted without clear coat. They are high quality (!) plastic panels but are scratch-prone. (vs. matte and durable plastic used in some more mainstream vehicles) If you see polishing action is too weak, then go for the next aggressive pad. Note the black paint on B-pillar is very soft and there is no clear coat.

Besides, make sure you mask the surrounding areas but not have the tape adhesive in contact with the soft black strip (made of EPDM) which is part of the stainless door trims. They are extremely sensitive. If you want to polish the A-pillar black panel as well, make sure you mask the protruding areas as machine polisher will wear it out and you may see discoloured area.

For me, B-pillar panel marring is a big concern to me and like what others have said, avoid touching them help a lot. If you don't want to cover them up, at least, do a proper machine polishing to the condition where you can accept. Then apply some ceramic coating with proper and clean MF. Most ceramic coating adds 7-9H hardness which can sustain car wash-induced marring. You may have to deal with water spot stain later though (typical of most ceramic coating)

Don't look for 100% perfect condition (in all lightings) on those B-pillar black panels as you may have to sacrifice too much paint in order to remove a particular faint but visible scratch.

Even when you pick up the new car without dealership car wash, some scratches and marring were already there on B-pillar because cars have gone through multiple hands during transportation, before the dealership picks it up from the truck. And down the road, you may see one or two very fine stone chips on the B-pillar for no reasons.

Avoid touching B-pillar panels and the stainless door trims on our IS are the ways to reduce marring.

Last edited by AndyL; 02-25-17 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FUZCO (03-10-17)
Old 02-25-17, 11:48 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

If you have the right equipment...clear bra recommended at the end.

Old 02-27-17, 07:36 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I had a section on my driver door that was scratched pretty bad. I started looking for OEM replacements thinking that it was ruined.
In my exhaustive search I found this, it looks like it is just an "applique". I couldn't really figure anything out.
I think it's just a shiny piece of plastic with adhesive on the back side.
Luckily, it polished out perfectly.
Can the original ones be removed easily from the car, vinyl wrapped, and reinstalled, or do they break upon removal? That would be the best solution but don't want to damage anything in the process! Are the 2is panels the same as the 3is?

Anyone successfully hand polish them out without an orbital or DA?
Old 03-04-17, 06:00 AM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I must say, never before have I owned a car that seemed so delicate. I avoid touching anything on the interior, besides, or course, some of the controls.
Old 11-04-17, 08:02 PM
rhlitt334
Driver School Candidate

Default Has anyone removed B pillars ?

Wondering if anyone has removed and replaced B pillars on any recent Lexus model? Mine were scratched in an accident and I would like to replace myself. Is this just taped on, or do they have clips (it appears the replacements don't come with clips so I am guessing that they do not use them anymore)? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 11-04-17, 08:27 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not use 3m on the pillars? Some of that stuff claims to be self healing

Quick Reply: New Owner and Question about B Pillar Panels