Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Vehicles...ie CARB question

Old 02-23-17, 06:28 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default California Vehicles...ie CARB question

Curious if auto manufacturers still make California specific autos or if they have upped their emission standards to produce all US vehicles to California CARB requirements???

We are driving out to CA to spend about two months and I am driving my 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser that has about 185K miles and I was thinking of making a trade when I am in CA. We live in Minnesota so I would register in MN.

I do not want "unique" California emission specifications that no dealer in MN would relate to. I see that 16 states appear to have adopted CA CARB regulations and I can imagine it would make sense for a manufacturer to make ONE vehicle for the whole country...CARB compliant???

Perhaps it differs my mfg? What about Lexus and Toyota?

Hopefully someone has dealt with this question b4? Thanks...TomMartin
Old 02-23-17, 11:24 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Curious if auto manufacturers still make California specific autos or if they have upped their emission standards to produce all US vehicles to California CARB requirements???

We are driving out to CA to spend about two months and I am driving my 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser that has about 185K miles and I was thinking of making a trade when I am in CA. We live in Minnesota so I would register in MN.

I do not want "unique" California emission specifications that no dealer in MN would relate to. I see that 16 states appear to have adopted CA CARB regulations and I can imagine it would make sense for a manufacturer to make ONE vehicle for the whole country...CARB compliant???

I know this was the case for Lexus' built in the 90s. I've personally reworked the capacitors for both the federal spec and cali spec ECU's and you'd get a CEL if you mix up the two. The cats and exhaust also differed as well.

I do not believe this is the case now.

I looked up the part numbers for an LS460 of model years 2016 and 2009. In both years, I did not see any distinction between cali and federal spec ECU's (or ECM's). I also looked up exhaust piping/cats and there was also no distinction between cali and federal spec.
Old 02-25-17, 01:10 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

As far as I know, most car manufacturers if certified in CA (which is tougher versus other states), then should be able to pass emissions in another state (any state) which will be at a "lower standard" and easier to pass emissions anyway.

Originally Posted by TomMartin

Old 02-25-17, 05:41 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know about cars but I bought a Brand New 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R in Michigan and was not able to register it in California because it was not compliant with emmissions laws. Only cars with over 7500 miles on the odometer was able to be registered because they are considered "USED" My solution was to ride my bike across the country back and forth to make enough miles. Maby same thing applies to cars?