IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New to the IS and have questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 05:48 AM
JaynDrea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the IS and have questions!

First sorry if this is in the wrong place or the info is posted somewhere. We are new to the IS. We picked up a used IS250 F Sprot, AWD yesterday. Really like the car. Great price with low miles. It has a few "things" we would like to get some feedback on...

The Navi screen looks like they cleaned it with something and there is water spots or scratches behind the first layer on the screen. Does that make sense? Is there a way to clean this or how easy is it to swap out the screen? Pretty proficient in working with interiors. Did high end custom car audio for years... years ago! LOL.

Also, passenger side top of the dash above the glove box. There is a few long "scuffs" in the material. Nothing deep and honestly I didnt notice it at first (wife did). This and then below the glove box, there is some scratches in the plastic. Guessing it is the passenger side air bag cover. Any way to clean or remove these?

I know I know... pictures would help. We can try and get some later for you guys but just wanted to put this out there first.

OH... body and aftermarket wise, is the AWD different than the RWD? What about 250 versus 350? I am sure performance upgrades make a difference didnt know what else it effected. Anyone off hand know what backspacing we need for wheels and what is the largest wheel/tire combo we can run?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the newb questions.
Old 02-23-17, 06:18 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase! As far as the screen, it was something seen and discussed on here quite a bit. If I remember completely, the inner layers of the screen have become delaminated. Check the 3IS and NX forums as both cars had the issue.
Old 02-23-17, 06:21 AM
FURAIBO
Driver School Candidate

Arrow

Originally Posted by JaynDrea
The Navi screen looks like they cleaned it with something and there is water spots or scratches behind the first layer on the screen. Does that make sense? Is there a way to clean this or how easy is it to swap out the screen? Pretty proficient in working with interiors. Did high end custom car audio for years... years ago! LOL.

Also, passenger side top of the dash above the glove box. There is a few long "scuffs" in the material. Nothing deep and honestly I didnt notice it at first (wife did). This and then below the glove box, there is some scratches in the plastic. Guessing it is the passenger side air bag cover. Any way to clean or remove these?
Hi and welcome,

this might be a bit far fetched, but the navigation screen comes with a protective layer, like smartphone screens... is that still on even though the car was used?
Here's a video showing how to uninstall the screen unit: https://youtu.be /Oifg36JuA98?t=3m9s

As for the interior trim, especially the upper soft-touch parts are rather sensitive. Learned it the hard way :/
There are a couple of threads regarding this issue and how to avoid/restore, e.g. here.
Old 02-23-17, 07:08 AM
JaynDrea
Driver School Candidate

@Furaibo, I will have to check that. I doubt it but never hurts to look, right?

And I will look on the other thread. Yes, that top portion is a soft-touch part. Looks like the previous owner let something slide on top of it.

Any other help or input would be great!
Old 02-23-17, 07:49 AM
JaynDrea
Driver School Candidate

Pictures...

Old 02-23-17, 08:28 AM
SnakeGT
Driver School Candidate

If the car is still under warranty you might be able to get the screen replaced. I had something similar to mine and asked them to fix it before I received the car (was a CPO purchase).
Old 02-23-17, 08:37 AM
JaynDrea
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SnakeGT
If the car is still under warranty you might be able to get the screen replaced. I had something similar to mine and asked them to fix it before I received the car (was a CPO purchase).
That is a thought. What is CPO? Sorry...

We bought a extended bumper to bumper warranty with the car but we didnt by it from Lexus. Do you think that would be a issue?
Old 02-23-17, 11:18 AM
h2ouup2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPO=Certified Pre-Owned

I too bought a 2015 IS, and the screen had the same problem. It ended up being something had hit it and it caused a small hairline crack in the screen. After that it got air and bubbles behind it. I had to have it replaced.
Old 02-23-17, 11:28 AM
JaynDrea
Driver School Candidate

CPO, LOL makes sense!

What did the screen cost to replace?
Old 02-23-17, 11:53 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

If your car is still under factory warranty, you can take it to your nearest dealer and have it replaced. There's a TSB SB0002-16 for it.

The problem: Affected vehicles have a damaged anti-reflective coating on the multidisplay screen on the dash.

Vehicles affected by this service bulletin:
  • 2014 Lexus IS 250
  • 2015 Lexus IS 250
  • 2014 Lexus IS 350
  • 2015 Lexus IS 350
  • 2015 Lexus RC F
  • 2015 Lexus RC 350
Corrective action: Dealers will replace the coating in affected vehicles.

Warranty info: This service bulletin is being performed free of charge under the Lexus new-car limited warranty. Lens replacement under warranty is limited to the specified condition as described in this service bulletin.

What owners should do: Call your local dealer with your vehicle's identification number to determine if your vehicle is involved in this service bulletin. You can call Lexus at 800-255-3987 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 888-327-4236. Reference TSB No. SB0002-16.

I had this done on my car recently because of light scratches from a previous owner. Just dont spray or wipe it with anything. I use a dry microfiber cloth to dust it off.
Old 02-23-17, 02:22 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by JaynDrea
Pictures...

I just had this problem with my 2014 IS 250, and the dealership claimed they had not seen this happen on IS's but they had seen it happen on NX's. They fixed it under warranty. They originally told me that the Shop Foreman had to approve of the fix, and it would take 5 days to get a replacement. I had it back the next day. Lexus knows about this problem with the screen and should fix it for you. Was your car advertised as a CPO? If it was, I'm surprised they sold it with the screen that way.
Old 02-23-17, 08:12 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use something like clorox wet wipes and gently rub the entire screen with it. It will remove the remainder of the anti reflective coating so that the screen doesn't look scratched anymore. Honestly the coating doesn't do much anyway.
Old 02-23-17, 09:25 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 350phi
If your car is still under factory warranty, you can take it to your nearest dealer and have it replaced. There's a TSB SB0002-16 for it.

The problem: Affected vehicles have a damaged anti-reflective coating on the multidisplay screen on the dash.

Vehicles affected by this service bulletin:
  • 2014 Lexus IS 250
  • 2015 Lexus IS 250
  • 2014 Lexus IS 350
  • 2015 Lexus IS 350
  • 2015 Lexus RC F
  • 2015 Lexus RC 350
Corrective action: Dealers will replace the coating in affected vehicles.

Warranty info: This service bulletin is being performed free of charge under the Lexus new-car limited warranty. Lens replacement under warranty is limited to the specified condition as described in this service bulletin.

What owners should do: Call your local dealer with your vehicle's identification number to determine if your vehicle is involved in this service bulletin. You can call Lexus at 800-255-3987 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 888-327-4236. Reference TSB No. SB0002-16.

I had this done on my car recently because of light scratches from a previous owner. Just dont spray or wipe it with anything. I use a dry microfiber cloth to dust it off.
^^+1
I had mine changed recently too for the very same reason...creepy!!
Old 02-24-17, 05:13 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought my CPO in December and noticed this rite away. It doesn't bother me until the sun hits it. Glad i found this information and glad to hear Lexus will take care of it free of charge.
Old 03-07-17, 03:33 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a TSB issued sometime ago that I used and the dealer replaced my screen at no charge.

Quick Reply: New to the IS and have questions!