IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stolen key fob/smart key, can I remove it using techstream?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 04:26 PM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stolen key fob/smart key, can I remove it using techstream?

Someone stole my spare key fob two days ago, I've resorted to removing the starter relay whenever I park my car at my house now but I would like to remove it using techstream. Hoping someone with experience with techstream can walk me through it. I have searched for the last couple days and I'm not convinced that once I go through with the "erasure" process that my remaining key fob will still work so I don't want to risk putting myself in a situation where I can't drive anymore so hopefully someone here can help me.

*the actual key in the fob is blank so I don't need to worry about them using the key to get into my car*

'
Old 02-19-17, 05:34 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Why don't you pay locksmith and let them take care of it?
Old 02-19-17, 11:09 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to code erase, it automatically erases all the smart keys and to program you'd have to be probably a "'master" certified tech or higher to do it. They call it reseeding the smart key ecu
Old 02-20-17, 08:13 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes you can, very easy no programming background in needed.

I did this because my used 2IS came with one remote, I canceled the other one easily .
Old 02-20-17, 12:40 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You can use Techstream to delete the other key from the system so it will no longer work with your vehicle. HOWEVER, you cannot delete individual keys. This means that you will have one Master key and all other keys will be inoperable. This leaves you with only ONE working key to operate the car and ALL others are useless. It is possible to re-use a key that's been programmed previously. You can "reseed" the smartkey ECU and program used keys to work with your car, but this brings upon it's own problems. The ECU can only be reset a set number of times before it becomes "bricked" or frozen. Once that happens, the key ECU has to be completely replaced by Lexus and programmed. I believe a new ECU can only be programmed and set up by a Lexus Master Tech. If you decide to delete your keys, you will be left with a Master key. But you can program NEW keys to the car without a reseed of the ECU.
Old 02-20-17, 02:59 PM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Why don't you pay locksmith and let them take care of it?
a locksmith can't help with this
Old 02-20-17, 03:00 PM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by panda08
If you go to code erase, it automatically erases all the smart keys and to program you'd have to be probably a "'master" certified tech or higher to do it. They call it reseeding the smart key ecu
Originally Posted by TopNotchIN
You can use Techstream to delete the other key from the system so it will no longer work with your vehicle. HOWEVER, you cannot delete individual keys. This means that you will have one Master key and all other keys will be inoperable. This leaves you with only ONE working key to operate the car and ALL others are useless. It is possible to re-use a key that's been programmed previously. You can "reseed" the smartkey ECU and program used keys to work with your car, but this brings upon it's own problems. The ECU can only be reset a set number of times before it becomes "bricked" or frozen. Once that happens, the key ECU has to be completely replaced by Lexus and programmed. I believe a new ECU can only be programmed and set up by a Lexus Master Tech. If you decide to delete your keys, you will be left with a Master key. But you can program NEW keys to the car without a reseed of the ECU.
So what is the master key, is it the one I use when I turn the vehicle on and open techstream or is there a real "master key" that I should have? I bought this car used and it came with two smart keys
Old 02-20-17, 03:02 PM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by See5
Yes you can, very easy no programming background in needed.

I did this because my used 2IS came with one remote, I canceled the other one easily .
\
How did you go about kicking out the other one and keeping yours programmed?
Old 02-20-17, 08:36 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeKay
a locksmith can't help with this
i did it at Locksmith in my area, that's why i gave out my statement. They are simply erase all the existing key and registered the key you have. KEEP it in mind, Each ECU only allow 6 times of resetting!!!!!
Old 02-20-17, 09:59 PM
JeeKay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
i did it at Locksmith in my area, that's why i gave out my statement. They are simply erase all the existing key and registered the key you have. KEEP it in mind, Each ECU only allow 6 times of resetting!!!!!
I'm gonna call Lexus tomorrow morning, after that I will try and find a qualified locksmith too.