RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport and non, major differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 11:15 AM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F Sport and non, major differences?

Hello folks:
First time post, have been ggogling the question and still not sure what to expect. Basically, I'm stuck on choosing rx 350 f sport awd or just stick with the normal version. I mean the answer should be pretty simple which I could just ask for a test drive. However, I don't think I have that much time to do all the stuffs. So, if possible, please give some feed backs if any you have compared these two models. I am still looking forward to save some money.
This are some reasons I'm considering the f-sport model:
1. VDIM (not many resources found, however, from those I found are positive stuffs)
2. the sport s+, avs suspension ... (I did not drive any of rx before, but sit in vary of them such as 3rd 450h, and two 330s(not sure if 330 is 2nd or 3rd) so somehow I remember they are quite tilted when turning, I might be wrong, However, the point here is does the f sport really make a major difference on handling... also the last hesitation is avs easily broken? heard it will cost like 1500 - 2000 USD to fix one, which is ridiculous)

Lastly, living at State College, PA, just turned 21, haven't driven many cars, will not going to be a aggressive driver but do care if the car is solid enough.
I know it's a weird comparison, but actually I haven't driven any suv before, so wondered how it compared to Acura ILX and Chevy Malibu, it's weird but I drove these recently and wondering if anyone could make some sorts of comparison if any possible.

Thank you Folks!

Last edited by Tribute182; 02-19-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 12:05 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have an F Sport and if there is any real difference in handling compared to a regular RX I would say it`s probably in my head. These are not sporty SUV`s I got the F sport for the wheels, seats, grill and black headliner. I did not buy it thinking it would handle better.

You can`t compare an RX350 to an Acura ILX or a Chevy Malibu. Save your money and get the cheapest reliable car you can till school is done. Campus parking lots can be brutal for door dings.
Old 02-19-17, 12:11 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Damn son!! 21 and a BRAND NEW RX?? What a baller.

Ok, as this is your FIRST car, you gotta understand that your friends will think you're a baller too. They will also all want rides in your car ruining your leather. Also, if you guys party and someone throws up in your car, that's gg son.

Aside from the typical 21 year old stuff. The RX isn't a bad car. It's a slow car so you won't be trying to drag race no fools. Also, it takes forever to get to 65. But it does get to 80 without you realizing it.

Don't worry about the suspension replacement. I don't see why that would ever break unless you're reckless.

Driving the F sport on regular mode and switching to sport+ definitely makes the steering tighter. I can hug turns better and have better control. It's not a 360 degree difference but I DO feel the difference.

If I were you I'd ask mom and dad to get the lexus safety system as well as the pano view monitor. For a first car, it's difficult to know your vehicle and you can easily hit curbs, etc. The pano view monitor makes it so much easier to see and you can park straight and stay in the lines.

THe F Sport makes it a younger car as well with a more aggressive look. In the end, it's a great car! Good luck man. The seats do go all the way down.

I also agree with FORD. People will prob ding your car and it will be dent city.
Old 02-19-17, 12:23 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Thank you folks!
So, basically I'm a physics guy and do not have much social, pretty much a loser type of person comparing to normal college students, so pretty much 99% of the time will be me and my back pack with me in the car so I don't really have to worry about the other issues. But, it's worthy to know that F-sport version isn't that dramatically better off. I do have a more specific question for you (aznokorboi) I mean from my research I read people claiming in normal times, just daily driving the eco, standard and sport mode are pretty identical on both versions, but the sport s+ (only on f-sport )will only do differences on crazy tracks which means unless I am going to track which no people will do that with a suv will make a difference?
Lastly, campus parking could be daxx, fxxking ridiculous of careless drivers. So, do you guys think maybe adding the side moldings and door guards will make some sorts of difference? I mean I will always try my best parking as far as possible to avoid those careless people.

Thanks
Old 02-19-17, 12:36 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tribute182
Thank you folks!
So, basically I'm a physics guy and do not have much social, pretty much a loser type of person comparing to normal college students, so pretty much 99% of the time will be me and my back pack with me in the car so I don't really have to worry about the other issues. But, it's worthy to know that F-sport version isn't that dramatically better off. I do have a more specific question for you (aznokorboi) I mean from my research I read people claiming in normal times, just daily driving the eco, standard and sport mode are pretty identical on both versions, but the sport s+ (only on f-sport )will only do differences on crazy tracks which means unless I am going to track which no people will do that with a suv will make a difference?
Lastly, campus parking could be daxx, fxxking ridiculous of careless drivers. So, do you guys think maybe adding the side moldings and door guards will make some sorts of difference? I mean I will always try my best parking as far as possible to avoid those careless people.

Thanks
Sport mode makes the acceleration more peppy. It's nice to have if you want more instant power. It also keeps the rev's higher before shifting. I usually drive in regular mode with the tighter steering, you can configure this yourself. I don't like the jerkyness of the acceleration from my day to day driving. But it's nice to have from time to time if I'm feeling sporty.

I don't think body side mouldings will make a difference based on the height of the car. The best thing to do is always park in the corner spot, the most space, and far away. Not much you can do.

Physics! La Physica. Very nice man. Good luck in school. I do not miss it.
Old 02-19-17, 12:44 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much aznkorboi, so I think I got a good picture of how they compare, I guess the truth is that I don't drive cars and keep their rev high all the time. So, the f sport handling may not be something attracting for me now. How about the custom setting you are using for the suspension? Do you think the avs suspension better off when cornering or taking corners?

Sorry to be kind of annoying, but do really appreciate of your kind explanation for me to find a right car and save the money!
Old 02-19-17, 12:59 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

A silly/ easy question, the normal version comes with eco/normal/sport, and f-sport comes with eco/normal/sport s/ sport s+ and custom? so the normal version do not have custom mode?
Old 02-19-17, 02:01 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

A silly/ easy question, the normal version comes with eco/normal/sport, and f-sport comes with eco/normal/sport s/ sport s+ and custom? so the normal version do not have custom mode?
I'm not too sure about the normal RX with custom.

I don't think you need to get the F sport just for slighter better handling. It's already good on the RX. Make sure you take a good long look at both of them. My first car was a Toyota SOlara so I made sure the car I bought would be something that I liked. And it was.
Old 02-19-17, 02:23 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

I think all my questions are solved, thank you guys!
Below is a link from Lexus Japanese website:
http://lexus.jp/models/rx/performanc...nce/index.html
Scroll down to the chart and the chart pretty much explain how the modes work
A quick explanation of the graph: the blue background of the box means eco, and the kind of yellow color means normal, and red means something do with sports
And, notice the difference of sport/ sport s/ and sport s+, only the vehicles have avs suspension have sport s and s+

Last edited by Tribute182; 02-19-17 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (02-19-17)
Old 02-19-17, 05:22 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Like already mentioned...pick the F-sport if you like the styling (front bumper and wheels), sporty front seats, red leather seats option, paddle shifters, and TFT speedometer. Handling isn't that different between the F-sport and regular RX, so I wouldn't base too much of my decision making on handling. It's worth noting that the regular RX has the option to get the Luxury package which comes with goodies like nicer leather, more comfortable front seats (bottom cushion extender is great for taller people), and rear door shades, which all cannot be added to the F-sport.
Old 02-19-17, 05:37 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Hello dchar: Feel like you are a pro Lexus guy from your public car list. It's good to know the details you pointed out. There is a question still kind of bothering me not sure if the entire Lexus club had answered before. So, does Lexus VDIM makes a difference? or Do people feeling it? This factor could be the last thing that I'm considering the f-sport model. I did watch some impressive videos on youtube showing in raining days and the car ran through the puddle. VDIM makes major different comparing to normal VSC. However, mostly, I found people tried to turn this stuff off. What do you think about it?
Old 02-19-17, 05:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Hello dchar: Feel like you are a pro Lexus guy from your public car list. It's good to know the details you pointed out. There is a question still kind of bothering me not sure if the entire Lexus club had answered before. So, does Lexus VDIM makes a difference? or Do people feeling it? This factor could be the last thing that I'm considering the f-sport model. I did watch some impressive videos on youtube showing in raining days and the car ran through the puddle. VDIM makes major different comparing to normal VSC. However, mostly, I found people tried to turn this stuff off. What do you think about it?
You won't (or shouldn't) be pushing the RX that hard since this isn't the car to do that kind of driving in, so VDIM won't make too much difference. Normal VSC is suitable for regular, everyday driving. The RX is more of a cruiser and pushing it to the limits will not be satisfying and can be quite dangerous. As I tried to explain, pick the car more for the features.
Old 02-19-17, 06:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

VDIM is a nice feature to have in the winter. It works well to prevent slipping/losing control. VSC is one component of it and not something I'd recommend turning off on an SUV. Maybe traction control so power goes to all wheels as needed, like when stuck in snow. I haven't done that myself. Having the right tires can make a difference there. VDIM is also standard on the 450h. I noticed it engage once when I was slowing down on a hill. Turns out there was black ice underneath the snow. The brake pressure increased but I stayed perfectly straight and in control.

AVS is new the 4RX so it's hard to determine longevity or cost to fix it. It does help with body roll a bit. My preference overall is the sportier suspension which tends to give better steering IMO. It's not for everyone though. And remember, we're talking about an SUV, not a sports car. There are limitations.

It's great you're doing your research but don't substitute it for taking extensive test drives. Otherwise it could turn into a very expensive mistake. Also, you said you haven't driven an SUV before. The RX is larger than previous gens. Handling and the limited visibility may not be to your liking. Comparing it to a sedan is not really possible either. Best thing I can say is write down your priorities and see where it takes you. The RX could possibly check off the boxes, or maybe it will be completely different vehicle. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-19-17, 06:42 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for great explanation, and I think I had been misunderstood. Certainly, I'm not going to do any crazy things on this car. Basically, I'm asking like driving through wet areas, puddles, and stopping on puddles, does vdim makes a difference to keep us straight?
This could be the one example I'm really interested in. In the video it shows a great difference between vdim and vsc. However, I couldn't tell if the people making this video somehow trying to trick the buyers. So, if possible, take a look into this youtube video.
Thanks a lot guys!
Lastly, I am trying to manage my time for test drivings, so I just like to know ahead how do people feel about these technologies and what should I beware when driving it besides overwhelmed by the salesman.
Old 02-19-17, 07:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The video shows extreme driving to emphasize the differences. VDIM has the advantage by acting/reacting better than a driver could. Still, as long as you respect the road conditions, VSC and a good set of tires will be fine. I drove RXs for 12 years without VDIM. No problems.

Quick Reply: F Sport and non, major differences?