GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

blower fan making loud humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 09:21 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default blower fan making loud humming sound

so my blower fan has been making a loud sound... I've checked for debris in it and i've cleared everything out. Any other ideas guys?

The video sound is very low so louden with caution and lower back to safe ear levels after!
Old 02-18-17, 11:14 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd try to pull your cabin filter (behind glovebox) and put high pressure air (from a compressor blow gun) down the intake with the fan running. It might free up whatever it's hitting, but it also might force more crap into it, so don't blame me if it makes it worse. Could also be a bad motor/fan mechanism.
Old 02-19-17, 03:16 AM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-fans-on.html

I have got the same problem. When I spin the fan, it has got noticeable resistance so I think that it might be something with bad bearing. The only problem is, that it is very difficult to replace it... Once the weather is better, I will try to use some lube on it firstly, before I do anything, maybe it will sort the problem out.

BTW. BE VERY CAREFUL when you are trying to get to cabin filter, as if you lift the white, plastic "open and closed" circle "compartment" by finger, you will break it. You need to open it ONLY by pressing the button "closed and open" climate circle - I am not sure if you get me with this one, better double check it, as it is very important

Last edited by rumcajs997; 02-19-17 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 02:44 AM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Japmand
I'd try to pull your cabin filter (behind glovebox) and put high pressure air (from a compressor blow gun) down the intake with the fan running. It might free up whatever it's hitting, but it also might force more crap into it, so don't blame me if it makes it worse. Could also be a bad motor/fan mechanism.
Where's the intake for the fan? The top part for under my wipers are kind of stuffed... Idk how to get the stuff out of there lol.
Old 02-20-17, 08:42 AM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The side below the filter behind the glove box --- not the intake before the filter. The fan should be buried under/inside the dash just below the cabin air filter.
Old 02-20-17, 04:10 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Japmand
The side below the filter behind the glove box --- not the intake before the filter. The fan should be buried under/inside the dash just below the cabin air filter.
not sure if this pic is good enough i've taken the glove box apart before to try and fix my broken servo arm lol
Old 02-22-17, 12:19 PM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

Have you got any manual showing how to take the glove box apart ? As I need to change the blower.
Old 02-25-17, 02:00 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rumcajs997
Have you got any manual showing how to take the glove box apart ? As I need to change the blower.
I got you, it was for fixing trying to fix the recirculation and fresh air mode, cabin filter door arm broke so I just took it out... Couldn't find a way to glue it back. I'll try and post it this weekend! Look for it in the new submissions for 3GS!
Old 02-25-17, 02:04 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rumcajs997
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-fans-on.html

I have got the same problem. When I spin the fan, it has got noticeable resistance so I think that it might be something with bad bearing. The only problem is, that it is very difficult to replace it... Once the weather is better, I will try to use some lube on it firstly, before I do anything, maybe it will sort the problem out.

BTW. BE VERY CAREFUL when you are trying to get to cabin filter, as if you lift the white, plastic "open and closed" circle "compartment" by finger, you will break it. You need to open it ONLY by pressing the button "closed and open" climate circle - I am not sure if you get me with this one, better double check it, as it is very important
LOL I BROKE IT A LONG TIME AGO. Would you recommend unplugging the battery?
Old 05-27-21, 05:47 PM
HZakiH3
5th Gear

Default Same problem!

Originally Posted by xbladex00
so my blower fan has been making a loud sound... I've checked for debris in it and i've cleared everything out. Any other ideas guys?

The video sound is very low so louden with caution and lower back to safe ear levels after!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHfrA8A5s-Y

Hi, did you end up finding a solution? I have the same problem but didn’t see anything stuck in it and didn’t seem broken.
Old 05-28-21, 07:03 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by HZakiH3
Hi, did you end up finding a solution? I have the same problem but didn’t see anything stuck in it and didn’t seem broken.

See if you are able to spray wd-40 on the bearings. If not then you will need to replace the fan blower

I would avoid using aftermarket, and only oem. There was one person who used aftermarket and said the blower strength was weak. New they are pricey, but you can find used for a pretty good price off of ebay or car-parts.com (local junk yard search) the good thing about buying from car-parts.com is that it shows you that part and what other vehicles use that same part number. So you maybe able to find that same part in a newer GS or IS with super low miles. Also it is not common for these blower motors to go bad.
Old 05-28-21, 09:11 AM
saqqafmali
Driver School Candidate

I replaced mine a couple of months ago. The bearing was bad and making noise. You can get to it by removing the lower dash panel. Took me about 30 mins to replace it. Make sure you get the one with a flat back. I ordered from autozone and it did not fit properly because it had a round back. You can search for boxi gs350 blower on Amazon which is what I ordered and it fit without a problem.