LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Last Car to Consider Before Buying 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 09:53 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Car to Consider Before Buying 04 LS430

Hey Everyone. been researching LS's and I found an 02 with 67K on it. Needs 02 sensors and the timing belt due to age. I'm strongly considering doing the timing myself due to the fact it's so involved I don't really trust anyone else to do it correctly. Plus I can change the spark plugs and coolant while I'm doing it since you have to remove those things anyway. But I just got back from briefly looking at an 04 LS430. It's silver with gray interior and very clean. It has 92K on it and is up to date on all maintenance (has all records recorded as well). But here are the cons. The rims are terrible, they're all peeling badly. I don't know the condition of the tires, forgot to look. There driver's tail light needs to be replaced. Part of it is busted. The rear bumper trim is a weird matte grey color. Like the chrome peeled off (like the rims). It looks like it might be leaking. It was too dark to tell though. I parked it and turned it off and looked underneath. I saw plenty of water leaking from the AC, but there were drips that looked dark. Could've simply been water but could've been oil or transmission fluid too.

Finally, and the second biggest issue (if it is actually leaking oil) is the fact that lights and warning lights are haywire on the car. The maintenance light flashes intermittently. It says the trunk is open, but it isn't (although the trunk latch looked chewed up, but it closed perfectly fine.) The VSC off light was on, brake wear was streaming across, low tire pressure, and a couple other lights and warnings. The car drove fine, and clearly it's something electrical going on. In my experience (happened to my car this morning actually) when this happens it's an anomaly. Turn the car off and back on and it fixes itself. But when it doesn't, like this one, there is usually a wire loose, probably a ground, or something is disconnected, probably from some maintenance that occurred.

The guy is a doctor and the only owner, and is asking $8,500 firm. What do you guys think? I've read about a leaky transmission seal. If it is leaking, it's a slow drip which is probably what that is. I didn't smell anything at all, and the engine was completely warm. Still doesn't mean it isn't leaking though. And the electrical issue could be extremely easy to find and fix, and then it could take a while to find and fix. Other than those two things the couple issues it has are cosmetic.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 02-18-17, 10:03 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Slim chance it's battery related. Low voltage could make the car act very strange. Also, it could be a potentially bad ECU or a ground problem. Sounds like chrome doesn't like the salt air down there. The wheels could be refinished and the trim could be replaced. The larger issue is the lights and why they're on.

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 02-18-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 10:38 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking about the ECU, and am more so thinking it's a ground problem. The problem with that is, it can be any number of ground wires located anywhere. I'd rather that over ECU though. I thought about alternator, but you wouldn't be able to drive it as much as he does. It also starts flawlessly. So I'm thinking connector somewhere not connected. Or, it could even be from the tail light. It's smashed and water could've gotten in and caused a short. Heck, the headlights might not even work with this issue, I didn't check. I'd have to look at it again for sure. I'm still thinking about taking the chance on it though. I know my way around electrical stuff. My biggest issue was the maintenance and it's 100%. My wife said she was going to offer him $7,800. I was thinking 8 even.
Old 02-19-17, 04:32 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That's too many unknowns for me on the 04... I think I'd pass on that one, unless you just really enjoy chasing gremlins and catching up on the maintenance.
Old 02-19-17, 07:34 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
That's too many unknowns for me on the 04... I think I'd pass on that one, unless you just really enjoy chasing gremlins and catching up on the maintenance.
I tend to agree. Besides, If I was going for the refreshed LS430, I'd bend over backwards to go for a 2006 as it's going to be as new as you will ever get. The 2004 did have a few transmission issues.
Old 02-20-17, 05:11 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. All of the maintenance is up to date. There is the issue of the electrical problem and the fact I didn't check for a leak thoroughly. I didn't know about the transmission issue in the 04's. I know that was the first year for the new tranny, what issues did they have? Also, there are only 5 LS's for sale period where I live. No 06's and I am not interested in importing one. It would be cheaper to just buy one of these and fix it. If I were in the states it would just be a matter of which one do I want because I could be more selective. Cars also cost 30%more where I live than the states.
Old 02-20-17, 05:49 AM
2KHarrier

I feel your pain Blue. Not many options if you want to move into an LS. Given the available cars, I guess I would opt for a car with a better maintenance history, and start chasing gremlins as opposed to buying a car that's been hobbled together. You may get lucky and find all it needs is a battery.

There are a couple of threads discussing the transmission issue on the 04 and early 05 models.

Here's one long thread;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-upgrade.html
Old 02-20-17, 04:46 PM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Exactly what I was thinking. 2KHarrier we'll be in the same boat. I already committed to buying the 2002 LS430 with 67K on it for $7,500. I met the owner today, he picked me up in his 2011 E-class Mercedes (which only has 27K on it) and we went to an attorney and he signed over the title today. He's going to Dominican Republic to work out of his office there for two weeks tomorrow. All of his cars have super low mileage because he has more than 3 and he does 2 weeks in PR then 2 weeks in DR. He's also a car buff so I'm confident about that purchase.

On to the 2004 for $8,500. I'm finding most doctors don't know much at all about anything else other than being a doctor. With the exception of my new friend today. Apparently he never took the car in for the two recalls it had. 1 being a complete transmission replacement.... yes, a brand spankin new transmission awaits me after this purchase. Maybe while they're at it they'll fix that electrical gremlin? It's happened to me before! Took the car in for something else and they just fixed other things while they were there for free. Also a new fuel pump awaits me if I purchase it, soooo yeah, just sent him a text telling him I'll buy it for the $8,500. Anyway, if there is a leak, it looked like it was a transmission leak anyway, so there ya go! Read some stories about RMS leaks also, since they'll have the transmission off might just do that as a reset back to 0 miles for the heck of it.
Old 02-20-17, 05:33 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Blue103
I'm finding most doctors don't know much at all about anything else other than being a doctor.
Don't worry, pilots are the same way. I can't tell you how many times I get called out to a flight because of some maintenance issue and it turns out the captain or first officer can't find the log book or are wondering why the fuel level is changing randomly(while the plane is being fueled...)

Sounds like a great start with the one you're purchasing if you've got a transmission waiting for you. Not sure why the trans needs to be replaced, but it'll sure extend the life of the car! Same with the fuel pump. They're pretty stout and don't fail too often. But new is better than used any day!
Old 02-20-17, 09:39 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I tend to agree. Besides, If I was going for the refreshed LS430, I'd bend over backwards to go for a 2006 as it's going to be as new as you will ever get. The 2004 did have a few transmission issues.
Depends on the production date. The early cars had problems (the parking pawl and rough low gear shifting. There are plenty of good '04's. Agree 06 is the best but hard to find good examples unless killer expensive (for 10+ year old car).
Old 02-21-17, 05:11 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

LOL, that's scary, smh. "Well sir the plane is being fueled and with loading and the fuel level rising, that tends to make the fuel gauge you know... move."

Well I too think that this was an early production car. It was built in 2003. One curious thing though is the Carfax says it has had 0 owners. It wasn't until 2010 that it actually says a new owner was registered. When I called Lexus headquarters they said the owner was "MVP auto group" or something like that. So maybe the owner kept the car for a while (they don't need to register them, especially in PR). So maybe it has had 2 owners?

Nevertheless, the recall states: "Description: On certain 2004 Model Year LS 430 vehicles, when the accelerator is operated quickly, a small piece of metal may separate from a retaining collar locatred in the part of the automatic transmission.

In the worst case, this small piece of metal may become caught in the parking lock mechanism, causing the parking lock system to be inoperative when the transmission shift lever is placed in the "P" (Park) position, thereby increasing the possibility of the vehicle rolling away which could result in a crash.

Remedy: Any Lexus dealer will replace the transmission at NO COST to you."

So there you have it. You can go to safecar.gov to see if the work was performed and neither was on this vehicle. I also called the Lexus dealer here in San Juan. They haven't called me back but I found safecar.gov after we got off the phone. So yeah, completely brand new transmission. That might get rid of the possible leak and maybe even the electrical issue. (I hope)
Old 02-22-17, 01:23 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If the problem is engine ECM related and it might well be there is a company in Illinois (SIA Electronics) that will rebuild/repair the ECM unit for about $200 and will return it to you along with lifetime warranty on the repair. Turnaround time is about a week. You pay shipping both ways. I had my ECM repaired and it was quick and pretty easy transaction. It is not uncommon for ECMs to have issues in a salt water climate.
Old 02-22-17, 03:11 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL, that's scary, smh. "Well sir the plane is being fueled and with loading and the fuel level rising, that tends to make the fuel gauge you know... move."

Well I too think that this was an early production car. It was built in 2003. One curious thing though is the Carfax says it has had 0 owners. It wasn't until 2010 that it actually says a new owner was registered. When I called Lexus headquarters they said the owner was "MVP auto group" or something like that. So maybe the owner kept the car for a while (they don't need to register them, especially in PR). So maybe it has had 2 owners?

Nevertheless, the recall states: "Description: On certain 2004 Model Year LS 430 vehicles, when the accelerator is operated quickly, a small piece of metal may separate from a retaining collar locatred in the part of the automatic transmission.

In the worst case, this small piece of metal may become caught in the parking lock mechanism, causing the parking lock system to be inoperative when the transmission shift lever is placed in the "P" (Park) position, thereby increasing the possibility of the vehicle rolling away which could result in a crash.

Remedy: Any Lexus dealer will replace the transmission at NO COST to you."

So there you have it. You can go to safecar.gov to see if the work was performed and neither was on this vehicle. I also called the Lexus dealer here in San Juan. They haven't called me back but I found safecar.gov after we got off the phone. So yeah, completely brand new transmission. That might get rid of the possible leak and maybe even the electrical issue. (I hope)
Toyota recall notice said cars w/ production dates starting 7/29/03 and ending 1/14/04 were affected. Total recall was 13,000 cars. Lexus will install new transmissions in cars with the above production dates.
Old 02-22-17, 07:13 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Today it was bedlam in Toronto Pearson as many flights canceled due to fog. The gate was packed with a sea of people, confusion...these two pilots ask a passenger where the gate was for their plane. Yep, I get on, and those two pilots are in charge of our tiny jet. I swear these are the C- pilots, like the techs who change your oil at a dealer 3 PM on a Sat. Who would want to fly a CRJ200 for a living? I was gonna say my boss' boss' boss' jet cost more than one of those, but actually that would be hyperbole...just so strange nowadays.
Old 02-22-17, 08:47 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Who would want to fly a CRJ200 for a living?
John;
Pilots for the major carriers all come from one of 2 places. The military or the Regional carriers. Flying an RJ around the US is a good way to build time and get the needed experience to be considered for employment by Delta, American, United, Southworst, etc...

Blue;
I look forward to hearing about the LS purchase. Hope the transmission recall works out in your favor

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 02-22-17 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Last Car to Consider Before Buying 04 LS430