Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas HB 276

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 05:13 PM
ljerryd
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Texas HB 276

Hey I know there are a lot of Texans in the club. I want to urge you to write a super quick email to your representatives to urge passage of HB276 requiring only ONE license plate in Texas! See the SEMA Action Network Website for more details. SEMA Action Network (SAN) AA2017TX1
SEMA also has a FB page that you can share this info from. If you know other people who are interested, or you are on other forums, let them know. This has died in committee a few times in the past. Lets get behind it.
Old 02-17-17, 07:32 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd like to hear what the Law Enforcement community has to say about this. Here in Fl it doesn't seem to be an issue or the media doesn't report about it.

The bill is all about cosmetics, what about public safety?
Old 02-17-17, 07:41 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Cosmetics is not the reason some states went to the one plate system. The financial savings the state benefits from, is the reason. Cosmetics is the reason most individuals want it. I don't see the state changing it. They have the toll road cameras taking pictures from the front. They would have to up grade tons of toll road infrastructure.

Last edited by Coleroad; 02-17-17 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 08:19 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Cosmetics is not the reason some states went to the one plate system. The financial savings the state benefits from, is the reason.
I suppose one could debate the financial savings of one plate. Since most plates are made in prison, labor cost is negligible. Material cost is more than made up with the per year fees DMV's charge,especially if it's a specialty plate.
Old 02-17-17, 07:42 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doubt it gets changed, but it would be great if it did. Regardless, I will never run front plates on my cars. I haven't for years and *knock on wood*, it hasn't been a problem.
Old 02-18-17, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Doubt it gets changed, but it would be great if it did. Regardless, I will never run front plates on my cars. I haven't for years and *knock on wood*, it hasn't been a problem.
In other words, you pick and choose what laws you are going to obey and not obey?

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 04:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Cosmetics is not the reason some states went to the one plate system. The financial savings the state benefits from, is the reason. Cosmetics is the reason most individuals want it. I don't see the state changing it. They have the toll road cameras taking pictures from the front. They would have to up grade tons of toll road infrastructure.
Are you sure they're set up to take pictures of the front plate??? Wouldn't make sense if there are drivers from other states that don't have front plates.
Old 02-18-17, 04:30 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Are you sure they're set up to take pictures of the front plate??? Wouldn't make sense if there are drivers from other states that don't have front plates.

i know now atleast some do because you would see the flash as you approach. I know for hov lanes they take the picture from the front because they verify two people in the front seats. I didn't use the toll roads everyday like some though. I know they changed how the hardy toll road worked. So not sure how that new system is. Maybe the picture was taken from the front when you have an ez tag, and from the back if you don't. Then they can send a bill even if out of state. You're making me think a little deeper on this, thanks.
Old 02-18-17, 04:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

2 plate requirement is immensely stupid and a vast waste of money, time and effort.
Old 02-18-17, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
2 plate requirement is immensely stupid and a vast waste of money, time and effort.
How is it a waste of all those things? Convicts in prison actually make the plates....and they sure aren't getting, wage-wise, what factory workers get. If nothing else, it gives them experience actually doing something constructive with their time, helping them learn discipline on a steady (even if somewhat menial) job, and preparing them for an eventual return to society.
Old 02-18-17, 05:30 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is it a waste of all those things? Convicts in prison actually make the plates....and they sure aren't getting, wage-wise, what factory workers get. If nothing else, it gives them experience actually doing something constructive with their time, helping them learn discipline on a steady (even if somewhat menial) job, and preparing them for an eventual return to society.

you cut the cost of materials in half. A reduction in electricity use. Reduction in wear on the machinery. Less cost in shipping, both for materials and finished product. Now there is some advantages for law enforcement, and the two tag system. You may only get a front view or picture of the front. This can help in investigating. I get people remove tags, steal tags to commit crimes. That is only true in some premeditated crimes. There are plenty of crimes that are not premeditated. I have lived in states with and without the two plate system. While I like not having to put a front plate on, it doesn't bother me when I have to.
Old 02-19-17, 09:00 AM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In other words, you pick and choose what laws you are going to obey and not obey?
When it comes to drilling holes into the bumpers of my cars, yes.

Besides, I'm pretty sure not a ticket for having no front plate is a just a civil fine, not a moving violation. I'm willing to accept the consequences and pay the penalty if it ever comes to that.
Old 02-19-17, 09:04 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

For years I went without having a plate in parts of town. When I moved to another part outside of town, I got pulled over left and right due to the amount of cops in the area. I started to be targeted, I just put front plates on the front of all my cars now and have never been pulled over since. After eventually having to go to court and sit 8 hours never again would I be pulled over for no front plate.
Old 02-19-17, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e60bmw
For years I went without having a plate in parts of town. When I moved to another part outside of town, I got pulled over left and right due to the amount of cops in the area. I started to be targeted, I just put front plates on the front of all my cars now and have never been pulled over since. After eventually having to go to court and sit 8 hours never again would I be pulled over for no front plate.
You made the right decision. And an even better one would have been to have made it earlier.
Old 02-19-17, 10:40 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Well those who drive around Houston/ Harris county. There is basically no road patrol. No front plate isn't an issue they just don't care. Get outside of the metroplex, and you're getting nailed for it. Because of the lack of road patrol in Harris county, is why you have people doing some of the stupidest driving I have ever seen. Things like exiting and entering the interstates via the grass embankments. Not giving right away to emergency vehicles.

Quick Reply: Texas HB 276