LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 01:15 PM
bigdizave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool LS500h

http://blog.caranddriver.com/no-l-ne...-is-the-ls500h

We also see the LS500h missing the capital L from its model name, due to the fact that Lexus is going with a single body size (rather than short- and long-wheelbase versions) for the new LS.
Old 02-14-17, 03:02 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well while we hoped two wheelbases would be offered, I think we all saw the writing on the wall.

However, I would imagine the SWB outsold the LWB by a significant margin. Now you can speculate that people chose the SWB over the LWB for either price or the LWB was just too big, which makes their decision even more curious.

That's why I think price will be critical to how well this thing sells. If they base price it at $85k, that is a gigantic step up from what the normal new LS buyer was accustomed to. Moreover, I think it's rare for even major generational changes in the same model to increase almost $10k in base price. Yearly changes are fairly benign and while new generations offer the chance to increase it even more, going from $78k (current MSRP base for the L) to $85k is a huge jump.
Old 02-14-17, 03:04 PM
bigdizave
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agreed that would be a huge jump in MSRP for what some would consider less of a car with the lack of V8.

Can only wait and see what happens.
Old 02-14-17, 03:10 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So if you think about it, the bulk of new LS buyers saw a base price of $72k for the SWB.

If it's priced at $85k base, the jump is even way more pronounced to what the typical new LS buyer saw.
Old 02-14-17, 07:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sexy in black

Old 02-14-17, 07:27 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow only 40 buyers for the 2016 LS600hl model year...I mean I know the figures were low but that's rare low...
Then again, as per Autotrader, within a 500 mile radius of Dallas there were only 5-6 LS600hl's for sale. Including 2008's up to 2017's....
Old 02-15-17, 11:31 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I cant help but to say it, but from this angle, I see a lot of Infiniti. And not to say that's a bad thing, as (to me), their cars as of recent are pretty sharp.
Idk about the 500h...
Based on the provided information and past sales, was it really worth it to even produce one?
Lastly, I said this in another thread -- its definitely beautiful in black and I would also like to see the car with other wheel options, as I think that will take it, aesthetically, to another level of appeal.
Old 02-15-17, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I cant help but to say it, but from this angle, I see a lot of Infiniti. And not to say that's a bad thing, as (to me), their cars as of recent are pretty sharp.
Idk about the 500h...
Based on the provided information and past sales, was it really worth it to even produce one?
Lastly, I said this in another thread -- its definitely beautiful in black and I would also like to see the car with other wheel options, as I think that will take it, aesthetically, to another level of appeal.
I don't think anyone would blame you. There's been many mentions of the Q70, but also other angles show the Panamera. In person though the LS will likely be very distinctive. The grill itself is very unique:

The unique rendition of the spindle grille mesh, with a texture that seemingly changes in different light, is the result of both intense CAD development and hand-adjusting thousands of individual surfaces.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/01/...-lexus-ls-500/
As to the 500h, it won't be for sales. Simply to highlight the latest combination of Luxury, Sport, and Efficiency. Fuel economy should prove to be significantly improved over the 20mpg the 600hL got. The 500h will also probably be $10-15K less than the aforementioned 600hL.

Can't go wrong with black
Old 02-15-17, 02:12 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think anyone would blame you. There's been many mentions of the Q70, but also other angles show the Panamera. In person though the LS will likely be very distinctive. The grill itself is very unique:

As to the 500h, it won't be for sales. Simply to highlight the latest combination of Luxury, Sport, and Efficiency. Fuel economy should prove to be significantly improved over the 20mpg the 600hL got. The 500h will also probably be $10-15K less than the aforementioned 600hL.

Can't go wrong with black
I can absolutely attest to this statement, as I saw it in the flesh this past Saturday at the Chicago Auto Show. In person it literally looks unlike any other vehicle and is really stealth in appearance, and that's in the exterior color that most media outlets have posted. I can only imagine how it would have presented in that Pearl/Deep black.

And the grille...its just incredible. I have been a fan of the spindle grille since its inception, but the new rendition of it, especially on the IS/GS/RX and newest of all-the LC and LS, its the sexiest version yet.

I'd still love the opportunity to drive a 600hL, as the few who own them say its a driving experience to really enjoy (pairing the electronic engine to the V8).
And black, although a pain to keep clean and swirl-free, is such a beautiful color.
Old 02-15-17, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

I can absolutely attest to this statement, as I saw it in the flesh this past Saturday at the Chicago Auto Show. In person it literally looks unlike any other vehicle and is really stealth in appearance, and that's in the exterior color that most media outlets have posted. I can only imagine how it would have presented in that Pearl/Deep black.

And the grille...its just incredible. I have been a fan of the spindle grille since its inception, but the new rendition of it, especially on the IS/GS/RX and newest of all-the LC and LS, its the sexiest version yet.

I'd still love the opportunity to drive a 600hL, as the few who own them say its a driving experience to really enjoy (pairing the electronic engine to the V8).
And black, although a pain to keep clean and swirl-free, is such a beautiful color.
Neat, I take it you saw the Atomic Silver one? Yeah the Nightfall Mica is very nice. The dark navy blue(s) despite how pretty they are even worse than black to upkeep unfortunately. Stunning to look at though. Also I think Caviar (black with flakes) will be available.

Agreed. As the Spindle is more and more incorporated, these new Lexus's look more fluid and refined, less slapped together (like the CT for example).

I've driven a handful of them, and was lucky enough to deliver a 2013 LS600hL to Warren Beatty in place of his 2011 LS600hL. Serene and effortless are two words that I would best describe the 600hL. It's a heavy vehicle, but quick in a straight line, and the hybrid AWD gives a wonderfully planted feeling. The 5.0L V8 was derived from the IS F and tuned for about 394hp, adding the electric motors gives it its 439 total system power rating. Unfortunately it was a misunderstood vehicle during its run, but that could work in its favor years from now considering how rare it is. Also its the little things that really set it apart. For example to reduce NVH, the transmission gear teeth and engagement points were finished to within micrometers.
Old 02-15-17, 06:40 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Neat, I take it you saw the Atomic Silver one? Yeah the Nightfall Mica is very nice. The dark navy blue(s) despite how pretty they are even worse than black to upkeep unfortunately. Stunning to look at though. Also I think Caviar (black with flakes) will be available.

Agreed. As the Spindle is more and more incorporated, these new Lexus's look more fluid and refined, less slapped together (like the CT for example).

I've driven a handful of them, and was lucky enough to deliver a 2013 LS600hL to Warren Beatty in place of his 2011 LS600hL. Serene and effortless are two words that I would best describe the 600hL. It's a heavy vehicle, but quick in a straight line, and the hybrid AWD gives a wonderfully planted feeling. The 5.0L V8 was derived from the IS F and tuned for about 394hp, adding the electric motors gives it its 439 total system power rating. Unfortunately it was a misunderstood vehicle during its run, but that could work in its favor years from now considering how rare it is. Also its the little things that really set it apart. For example to reduce NVH, the transmission gear teeth and engagement points were finished to within micrometers.
I couldn't help but laugh at your sentiment regarding the dark navy blues, as my LS is BSP!
It's a handful to keep clean! Swirl-free??? I simply gave up!

Warren Beatty? Very cool!!
I was had to Google NVH in its entirety, as I was only able to determine the "V" to stand for vibration.
I hate to sound like a fanboy here, but as an enthusiast, you just have to love the precise nature and attention to detail the Japanese bring to Lexus-more specifically, the LS.
​​​​​​​I just learned something here, very cool!
Old 02-15-17, 07:30 PM
Hoovey689

I couldn't help but laugh at your sentiment regarding the dark navy blues, as my LS is BSP!
It's a handful to keep clean! Swirl-free??? I simply gave up!

Warren Beatty? Very cool!!
I was had to Google NVH in its entirety, as I was only able to determine the "V" to stand for vibration.
I hate to sound like a fanboy here, but as an enthusiast, you just have to love the precise nature and attention to detail the Japanese bring to Lexus-more specifically, the LS.
I just learned something here, very cool!
Is it?! Hah sorry no offense intended. I found Mother's or Meguiar's swirl X to be really helpful with a dark exterior car.

Indeed, Lexus details always make me smile too.
The following users liked this post:
CRowe14 (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 01:43 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk about the 500h...
Yes, I posted these pictures in the new LS thread. I like the look at a lot, more JDM than Mercedes facsimile, but the Infiniti version has been around since 2010:

LS500h-photo230.jpgLS500h-photo498.jpg
Old 02-16-17, 01:52 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Is it?! Hah sorry no offense intended. I found Mother's or Meguiar's swirl X to be really helpful with a dark exterior car.

Indeed, Lexus details always make me smile too.
No offense taken good Sir!
Swirl X huh?? I'll definitely give it a try -- thanks!
Old 02-16-17, 02:00 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e325rkh
Yes, I posted these pictures in the new LS thread. I like the look at a lot, more JDM than Mercedes facsimile, but the Infiniti version has been around since 2010:

Attachment 404379Attachment 404378
Wow..
I see a lot of design cue's between the two.
I laughed to myself just now because I just thought about how the profile lines are the same and then BAM!! You see the front end and that spindle grille is starring you right in the face... Talk about delineation!

Quick Reply: LS500h