Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2016 ES300h Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 12:11 PM
MDW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 ES300h Questions

Just signed the papers on a slightly used 2016 ES 300h with 4,111 miles, atomic silver exterior and illustrious piano black interior. $33,900 plus 394 doc charge. I will also have to pay about $750 to have the car delivered to me.
I bought from a non-Lexus dealer and the car was a trade in. The car was listed as just having the luxury package, Nav. and lane change monitor and parking monitor. I could tell from the photos, though, that the car had the Ultra Luxury Package and Levinson audio, and the full safety suite, including dynamic cruise control, lane change assist, etc. The car ax shows routine scheduled maintenance and no fix of any other items.

I am happy for getting what appears to be a good deal and a great car. However, the more I read about all of the electronics, the more intimidating they sound in terms of use and repair. Since I am just beyond 12 months from purchase, I don't qualify for the free set up. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to any videos that tell me how to operate all of this stuff? Any other recommendations?
The following users liked this post:
Xgolfx (07-01-17)
Old 02-16-17, 08:01 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most dealerships will walk you through operation and set up even if it's not their brand. Bought my 2013 off a used lot of a Ford dealership and my salesman assisted me with all settings prior to taking delivery. Youtube is a good source also, watch reviews and tech intro videos. Luckily Lexus makes a pretty intuitive interface but after exploring all menu settings you can always come back here with specific questions not answered there or elsewhere. I'd suggest the owners manual but it's long, boring and I've personally not found it easy to use...
Old 02-17-17, 08:13 AM
MDW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I am having the car shipped to me so I wont have any interaction with the selling dealer. Youtube it is, I guess. Hope the car turns out as I hope.
Old 02-17-17, 01:48 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDW
Just signed the papers on a slightly used 2016 ES 300h with 4,111 miles, atomic silver exterior and illustrious piano black interior. $33,900 plus 394 doc charge. I will also have to pay about $750 to have the car delivered to me.
I bought from a non-Lexus dealer and the car was a trade in. The car was listed as just having the luxury package, Nav. and lane change monitor and parking monitor. I could tell from the photos, though, that the car had the Ultra Luxury Package and Levinson audio, and the full safety suite, including dynamic cruise control, lane change assist, etc. The car ax shows routine scheduled maintenance and no fix of any other items.

I am happy for getting what appears to be a good deal and a great car. However, the more I read about all of the electronics, the more intimidating they sound in terms of use and repair. Since I am just beyond 12 months from purchase, I don't qualify for the free set up. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to any videos that tell me how to operate all of this stuff? Any other recommendations?
I think you got an outstanding deal! I just priced a brand new 2017 exactly the same as yours and the MSRP is about $54,000. On TrueCar the average actual selling price is about 50K (slightly below invoice) and 49K is considered an "exceptional" price.

Also take into consideration that this configuration (fully loaded with everything but the kitchen sink - especially the Levinson and dynamic radar) is extremely, and I mean extremely, rare and nearly impossible to find on the used car market. I should know because I've been shopping for the last 2 months for one equipped exactly this way! Unfortunately, that's just the way Lexus does business. Go figure They advertise all these goodies (safety tech and all) and when you want one on the dealer lot, there is virtually none so equipped.

I also jjust bought a 2014 ES 300h yesterday at a Lexus dealer in the Los Angeles area. The car has 33K miles, Nebula gray pearl with the "beige" interior equipped EXACTLY like yours: Mark Levinson, DRCC with pre-collision, BSM, LDA, and Ultra-Luxury package.(after searching as I said for nearly 2 months). It was a 1-owner lease return cream puff in MINT condition and lived its 3-year life entirely in Southern California, with all the service done at Lexus. And it is an L-certified vehicle which gives me a 3-year / UNLIMITED miles bumper-to-bumper warranty, and 4 complementary services (worth about 400 bucks).

I paid $25,900 + tax/title ($28,150 out the door - yes California kills you with the sales tax). Considering all of the above (but most importantly due to the EXTREME difficulty in finding one equipped like this), I think I got a great deal. I consider myself an extremely good negotiator, but the dealership would not budge one inch on the price, which they claimed was a special "reduced internet liquidation price" . Eventually I gave in

.....but I do believe you got an even better deal than mine, considering your car is practically new! Most likely the non-Lexus dealer had no clue about the rarity of the equipment level, and you happened to be the beneficiary of that!
Old 02-17-17, 04:07 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

A price of $33,900 for a 2016 ES 300h with 4000 miles on the odometer seems like an excellent price.

I suspect that part of what went into that price is that, with gas prices having settled in a range that is about half of what they were 3 or 4 years ago, demand for hybrids, both new and used, is way down. Even though the MSRP of a new ES 300h is about $3000 higher than that for a new ES 350, when I've checked the used car inventories of a few area dealers, I've seen that it is not uncommon to find a CPO ES 300h having a lower advertised price than a similarly equipped ES 350 of the same year and with the similar mileage.

It does seem like this is a great time to get a good deal on a hybrid vehicle.
Old 02-17-17, 07:57 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
A price of $33,900 for a 2016 ES 300h with 4000 miles on the odometer seems like an excellent price.

.........I suspect that part of what went into that price is that, with gas prices having settled in a range that is about half of what they were 3 or 4 years ago, demand for hybrids, both new and used, is way down........

It does seem like this is a great time to get a good deal on a hybrid vehicle.
You hit the nail on the head!! And yes, this is a very good time to buy a hybrid. Oil prices are not going to stay down forever. It is only a matter of time. Global demand is not going down. And even though new oil and production techniques are being discovered and innovated everyday, this is still a finite resource. So basic economics will come into play again. While I'm not psychic, I can see how oil prices could creep back up close to $100/barrel in 3 - 4 years, and then it will be deja vu all over again. It is not a matter of if, but a matter of when. When that does happen, people will start to panic again (like they did the last time) and that will make hybrid prices shoot up.

Last edited by vicpai; 02-17-17 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 07:10 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Don't forget that we are also doing our part to help reduce emissions.
Old 02-18-17, 09:42 AM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im still on the fence on the benefit of hybrid. So far Im only averaging 34 MPG with my hybrid, not exactly blowing my skirt up. It order to realize the better milage you really have to granny it and Im finding that to be impractical for the most part. I do wish pure EV mode was more automated. Maybe as the temps continue to warm and I get more experienced it will improve...

Last edited by 400to300H; 02-18-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 11:11 AM
BIGABQ
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2014 300h. I agree that MPG can be all over the. board. Living in New Mexico. Right now I'm in the range of 33 to 35 mpg all local driving. I have seen 39 when summer hits, I have plenty of power for the 75 mph on the freeways and do I love the drive.
Old 02-20-17, 02:58 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MDW

Great deal on a basically new car!!!
Don't worry - the settings are all pretty intuitive. For any that you get stuck on, use you tube. Should be fine without needing the dealer for anything.
Old 03-01-17, 07:17 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Excellent deals on those hybrids. I agree, now is a good time to get an ES hybrid because gas prices are slowly going up.

If you drive the hybrid like a typical car in the city, you'll get 35-40 mpg at most. Doing pulse and glide, looking out for the next red light and using cruise control on long medium speed stretches can help you get 40+ mpg. I've seen crazy numbers like 65 mpg just by using cruise control on rural roads limited to 50 mph.
Old 03-01-17, 07:34 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Im still on the fence on the benefit of hybrid. So far Im only averaging 34 MPG with my hybrid, not exactly blowing my skirt up. It order to realize the better milage you really have to granny it and Im finding that to be impractical for the most part. I do wish pure EV mode was more automated. Maybe as the temps continue to warm and I get more experienced it will improve...
well, 34 MPG may not be overwhelmingly good, but its still double the efficiency of 15-17 MPG that the ES350 would get (I was getting 14-15 on my 2005 ES330). To me, it is not worth granny-ing it to get over 40MPG. I just drive as I usually do in normal mode and average 35 MPG and am happy with it. I fill my gas tank half as often as I did with my past non hybrid ES...
Old 03-01-17, 07:35 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by 400to300H
I'm also discovering 2 other benefits - 1) pristine quietness at low speeds when the engine is not running. 2) extra long brake pad life. Some people say they go to super high mileage before they have to change their first set of brake pads
Old 03-02-17, 04:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
well, 34 MPG may not be overwhelmingly good, but its still double the efficiency of 15-17 MPG that the ES350 would get
I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers. I was averaging 26mpg's on my 350 when I drove it everyday. Now that I drive it much less, on shorter commutes, I'm around 22mpg's. Your numbers are on the low end of what I've heard about the GS350.
Old 03-02-17, 05:32 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
well, 34 MPG may not be overwhelmingly good, but its still double the efficiency of 15-17 MPG that the ES350 would get (I was getting 14-15 on my 2005 ES330). To me, it is not worth granny-ing it to get over 40MPG. I just drive as I usually do in normal mode and average 35 MPG and am happy with it. I fill my gas tank half as often as I did with my past non hybrid ES...
Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers. I was averaging 26mpg's on my 350 when I drove it everyday. Now that I drive it much less, on shorter commutes, I'm around 22mpg's. Your numbers are on the low end of what I've heard about the GS350.
I was thinking the same thing as Mike when I read bostonsnow's post.

I had my 2013 ES 350 for 3 1/2 years, and I regularly got between 31 and 33 mpg with it, and, on some all highway trips, I hit 33 or 34 mpg. Admittedly, my driving style is much more conservative than it was, say, 20 years ago, and very little of my driving is in stop-and-go conditions, but, even on the rare occasions when I have had to drive in stop-and-go conditions, I was still in the 24-25 mpg range.

I've only had my 2017 ES 350 for a couple of months, but I've been getting between 29 and 31 mpg with it, and I expect those numbers to go up as the temperatures warm up into the spring.

I also previously had a 2006 ES 330, and I consistently got around 29 mpg with it.

While I'm sure that my fuel efficiency would be lower with a more aggressive driving style and if I was consistently driving in stop-and-go conditions, it is hard to imagine how it could go down to 14-15 mpg.

(Note that all of my fuel efficiency numbers are based on actual calculations, and those calculations have generally been +/- 1 mpg of what the car's computer yields.)
The following users liked this post:
Xgolfx (07-01-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 ES300h Questions