IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Drivers side door sometimes won't lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 05:50 PM
RioL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side door sometimes won't lock?

Doesnt happen all the time but pretty often my drivers door won't lock with the key fob. All others lock drivers doesn't and light doesn't go out inside until a few moments later. I can lock it from the inside but then can't open it with the key fob. What is wrong? How can I fix this?
Old 02-12-17, 05:58 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by RioL
Doesnt happen all the time but pretty often my drivers door won't lock with the key fob. All others lock drivers doesn't and light doesn't go out inside until a few moments later. I can lock it from the inside but then can't open it with the key fob. What is wrong? How can I fix this?
Just a guess without more specific info, it would appear the issue may be with the drivers door lock actuator.
If all the other doors lock with the key fob Lock button, then the key fob, vehicle receiver, and wiring/actuator circuitry (for the other 3 doors) is fine.

Has there been any repairs, mods, or any other issues with the drivers door in the past?
Old 02-12-17, 06:39 PM
RioL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Just a guess without more specific info, it would appear the issue may be with the drivers door lock actuator.
If all the other doors lock with the key fob Lock button, then the key fob, vehicle receiver, and wiring/actuator circuitry (for the other 3 doors) is fine.

Has there been any repairs, mods, or any other issues with the drivers door in the past?
No nothing's ever been done with this door before. I've read around and have seen what you're saying though. Only weird thing to me is that it is only sometimes that it does it. It did it yesterday for a while and my last time trying to lock it when I was finally going inside it finally went through after I kept pressing the button as I walked away from the car. Now today it's been working perfectly fine with no issues at all.
Old 02-12-17, 07:22 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

No nothing's ever been done with this door before. I've read around and have seen what you're saying though. Only weird thing to me is that it is only sometimes that it does it. It did it yesterday for a while and my last time trying to lock it when I was finally going inside it finally went through after I kept pressing the button as I walked away from the car. Now today it's been working perfectly fine with no issues at all.
Aside from the motor in the actuator that actual opens and closes the lock, there are also sensors that tell the computer the lock/latch position.
When the actuator locks and unlocks the door, I'm guessing it works perfectly fine just like the other doors...the lock doesn't move slower or notchy, but rather as it should.
And when it doesn't work, it plain just doesn't work.

It's going to be a tough one to figure out until the lock stops working all together...which is not an ideal scenario.

Have you noticed if weather affects it? Like it does it more in the rain or days that it's really wet out (rain or snow).
It's likely the motor portion of the actuator is fine and it's just a sensor of some kind.

Old 03-26-17, 03:03 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyine get this fixed? I might call the dealer about it.

Aside from the motor in the actuator that actual opens and closes the lock, there are also sensors that tell the computer the lock/latch position.
When the actuator locks and unlocks the door, I'm guessing it works perfectly fine just like the other doors...the lock doesn't move slower or notchy, but rather as it should.
And when it doesn't work, it plain just doesn't work.

It's going to be a tough one to figure out until the lock stops working all together...which is not an ideal scenario.

Have you noticed if weather affects it? Like it does it more in the rain or days that it's really wet out (rain or snow).
It's likely the motor portion of the actuator is fine and it's just a sensor of some kind.

Old 03-26-17, 03:25 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take it to the dealership and tell them to fix it.. if it's still under warranty
Old 03-27-17, 09:13 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

^^ What I'm going to do! Sucks it's happening to a Lexus!!
Old 03-28-17, 08:15 AM
cz23
Driver School Candidate

Same thing is happening to my 2015 IS350 F Sport. I'm planning to take it to the dealer next week.
I'm concerned that they won't be able to recreate the issue because it only happens sometimes.
Old 03-28-17, 02:36 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty common glitch if you ask me. Mine used to do it out of nowhere and then stop, but eventually replaced the actuator and no more issues since.
Old 03-28-17, 06:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

It's likely it is the actuator...it basically controls the locks at the door level. It will be next to impossible to recreate...don't be surprised.
Old 04-05-17, 11:13 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

It was indeed the actulator! Dealer replaced it! They will keep it for a couple of days to mimic it.

It's likely it is the actuator...it basically controls the locks at the door level. It will be next to impossible to recreate...don't be surprised.
Old 02-26-18, 08:21 AM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize this is an old thread, but interestingly this is something that is still happening quite new vehicles. I have a 2015 NX200t that I am taking in this week for this issue and a CNBC reviewer just published this: 2017 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Review

It happened to him once, had it repaired, and then it happened again. I'm fortunately still under warranty so hoping it is a quick fix. The scary thing is I have no idea how long this has been going on, nice to know no one has evidently tried to break into my car recently.

Had the same thing happen with my 1999 Isuzu Trooper, but it took over 15 years to start! :-)
Old 02-28-18, 09:46 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

There's a TSB for this issue.

Go see your dealer.
Old 03-02-18, 05:12 PM
Titanium
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rL-gT
There's a TSB for this issue.

Go see your dealer.

Any more info? I had my passenger door lock go out a few months ago replaced under warranty now my driver door is doing the same but of course out of warranty.
Old 10-30-19, 07:15 PM
Kirkh
Driver School Candidate

I have 2013 rx450h. driver door wouldn't lock or unlock with key fob or door button. I also couldn't roll down other windows from driver side buttons. first fix; reprogrammed all other windows except driver by starting car, then rolling down each one, continue holding down button for 3 seconds, then roll it up and continue holding button up for 3 seconds. did this on each of 3 other windows but not driver and it solved it.

driver door lock wouldn't work at all. if i pushed the button on key fob, nothing. if I pushed button on driver door panel, it twitched but wouldn't fully lock. looked at fuses, read manuals, rest door lock settings; nothing worked. my daughter got in passenger side front seat, told her what i was doing. she pushed the door lock button on front passenger door and it worked, locked all doors. And seemed to rest everything because now driver door works on both door button and key fob. only thing that doesn't seem to work now is touching indented part of door handle to lock doors after getting out. But I can deal with that by just locking door with button inside door as I get out, or with key fob. hope this helps someone and saves them hours i spent.

Quick Reply: Drivers side door sometimes won't lock?