LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Member, First Post

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 05:04 AM
MaxMcNasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, First Post

Good morning, This is my first post as I have just purchased a 1998 LS400. The car has 109k on it and is pretty clean with all original body panels, Glass including the windshield and original single stage paint which needed a little bit of love. Overall I am highly impressed with the quality of the car. Everything seems solid and has had various suspension parts replaced like the strut rods using oem parts. Car came with a consistent service history from the Lexus dealerships which was a plus as I can use my database since I work at a Toyota dealer and former Lexus dealer to pull the history by the vin. I have plans for this car to change wheels and suspension but this thing rides so good i'm debating on leaving it alone lol. I attached a few pictures of its current state.
Attached Thumbnails New Member, First Post-img_0485.jpg   New Member, First Post-img_0480.jpg   New Member, First Post-img_0481.jpg   New Member, First Post-img_0479.jpg   New Member, First Post-img_0494.jpg  

Old 01-24-17, 05:14 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

109?! Good for you! She's a beauty
Old 01-24-17, 05:21 AM
MaxMcNasty
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I couldn't believe it myself. Thank you sir!
Old 01-24-17, 06:20 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Great find. Nothing to do now but enjoy the ride. Welcome to the club!
Old 01-24-17, 06:31 AM
MaxMcNasty
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, This is my first but definitely won't be my last LS for sure.
Old 01-25-17, 10:07 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice one 109K is low. I got mine with 120K and have put 20K on her with no issue. I believe the second owner did not take good care of mine since the original owner sold it at 90K and the car fax and Lexus report go silent. I got it at 120K and had to replace the timing belt and all that 90K work. What is odd tho my engine has that yellow paint that usually salvages yards put on so if they replaced the engine why did they not do all that work . But after doing all the maintenance 0 issues and runs like new. I love her so much I may think of another LS in the future You will love this car :P

Also as a side note reading about the engine in the LS400 supposedly if the timing belt broke the engine won't self-destruct.
Old 01-25-17, 11:08 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

1998-2000 are interference engines. Don't break the belt.
Old 01-25-17, 11:23 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Banshee365
1998-2000 are interference engines. Don't break the belt.
Ahh ok I got the 96. Still got mine replaced and everything all caught up
Old 01-25-17, 01:00 PM
MaxMcNasty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by winter4w
Nice one 109K is low. I got mine with 120K and have put 20K on her with no issue. I believe the second owner did not take good care of mine since the original owner sold it at 90K and the car fax and Lexus report go silent. I got it at 120K and had to replace the timing belt and all that 90K work. What is odd tho my engine has that yellow paint that usually salvages yards put on so if they replaced the engine why did they not do all that work . But after doing all the maintenance 0 issues and runs like new. I love her so much I may think of another LS in the future You will love this car :P

Also as a side note reading about the engine in the LS400 supposedly if the timing belt broke the engine won't self-destruct.
Very cool, I'm definitely excited about the car and can see myself with more lol. As far as the markings you found on the engine the manufacturer will mark certain bolts and items on the engine as well with a paint type marker to indicate that they've been torqued to spec. I need to do the timing belt and waterpump service as well only because there is no sticker on the timing cover stating that its been done and vvti are interference motors. I also have a tiny leak from the front driver side valve cover or the cam seal which is on the inside of the cam box which requires removal of the cam but ill find out for sure once I take the V/C off.
Old 01-25-17, 01:04 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new purchase. You didn't hear it from me, but I think the 1st/2nd Gen LS's are better looking than the 3rd Gen cars...
Old 01-25-17, 01:51 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MaxMcNasty
Very cool, I'm definitely excited about the car and can see myself with more lol. As far as the markings you found on the engine the manufacturer will mark certain bolts and items on the engine as well with a paint type marker to indicate that they've been torqued to spec. I need to do the timing belt and waterpump service as well only because there is no sticker on the timing cover stating that its been done and vvti are interference motors. I also have a tiny leak from the front driver side valve cover or the cam seal which is on the inside of the cam box which requires removal of the cam but ill find out for sure once I take the V/C off.
Here are the pictures of the markings. My mechanic is the one who mentioned it to me. He also told me someone else must have been working on the car themselves since some bolts and screws were missing. Everything is all bolted up now, and he did say it was in good condition and 2 years later still runs like new

If someone does know what the markings mean that would be awesome since I always wondered

Image of the markings
Image of the sexy engine
Old 01-25-17, 02:02 PM
MaxMcNasty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new purchase. You didn't hear it from me, but I think the 1st/2nd Gen LS's are better looking than the 3rd Gen cars...
HAHAHA Well I am a little partial to the 2nd gen, However I do like the 3rd gens too. Thank you!
Old 01-25-17, 02:17 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Here are the pictures of the markings. My mechanic is the one who mentioned it to me. He also told me someone else must have been working on the car themselves since some bolts and screws were missing. Everything is all bolted up now, and he did say it was in good condition and 2 years later still runs like new

If someone does know what the markings mean that would be awesome since I always wondered
Those markings do not appear to be factory. The cam covers should be clear of anything like that. It does appear to be some sort of salvage company/yard inventory number. That's my guess. I would have to wonder WTF happened to the first engine. These engines are nearly indestructible. It must have been ran out of oil or something.
Old 01-25-17, 02:33 PM
MaxMcNasty
Driver School Candidate

Image of the markings
Image of the sexy engine
These markings indicate that the engine did come from somewhere else, Typically some bolts will have a small check mark of sorts on them but not full writing as in your instance.
Old 01-25-17, 02:49 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MaxMcNasty
These markings indicate that the engine did come from somewhere else, Typically some bolts will have a small check mark of sorts on them but not full writing as in your instance.

Yea, not that concerned about it tho since I was told it looks in good shape and I have not had any issues with it yet. I wonder what happened to the original one since it seems these things are hard to kill. Also find it odd on if it got replaced why not do the timing belt and other things while replacing it. I was hoping to see if there was a VIN on it so I can check to see how many miles it had.

Quick Reply: New Member, First Post