Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Homelink question

Is there any way to disable homelink?

*On a temporary time by time basis.
Old 01-24-17, 05:22 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Is your question related to you being worried that someone could break into your car and open the garage door? If so, you can just hit the "vacation" button on the main garage door opener, inside the garage. This prevents the garage door from being opened with a wireless device.
Old 01-24-17, 05:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Ha...have to say I never knew about a "vacation" button. That is fantastic, if it really exists...
Old 01-24-17, 05:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I've been using it for years. Here's a link on it: Vacation Lock
Old 01-24-17, 07:32 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
Is there any way to disable homelink?

*On a temporary time by time basis.
Disable for what purpose and are you asking on the vehicle or on the garage door?
Old 01-24-17, 09:59 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Here's my situation,

I have a three car garage but one space is occupied by kids' bikes, scooters, etc. and another is by a car I only drive around 1-2,000 miles a year.

This leaves me with 3 leased cars that I drive between my wife and myself. I drive around 30,000 miles a year so I have to alternate cars to balance the miles out. Now that I'm taking the GS more, it's spending time outside so I've been using the remote control lockout function on the garage door main wired control panel. I disable the garage remotes when I get home then my wife enables them when she leaves in the morning (part of the reason I'm looking for a different solution, she's not happy we're having to do this work around to accommodate my stored car). She gets less and less happy with the situation each time she has to get out of the car to unlock the remote lockout because she forgot to do it in the rush to get the kids to school in the morning. Also, using the remote lockout (vacation function?) is ok most of the time but there are times when the GS is home and I'm not so it isn't 100%.

I think for the most part I'd be ok with just using the front door but my wife is not. She feels it is a hassle to not be able to use the garage door remotely especially if she has groceries, kids want to ride bikes, etc. I don't want to sell my stored car which is why I'm hoping there is some way to disable the homelink in the vehicle without resorting to erasing the programming. I wish the homelink in the Lexus was the same as in a BMW. That would solve my problem.

Last edited by rijc99; 01-24-17 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-24-17, 11:04 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Here's my situation,

I have a three car garage but one space is occupied by kids' bikes, scooters, etc. and another is by a car I only drive around 1-2,000 miles a year.

This leaves me with 3 leased cars that I drive between my wife and myself. I drive around 30,000 miles a year so I have to alternate cars to balance the miles out. Now that I'm taking the GS more, it's spending time outside so I've been using the remote control lockout function on the garage door main wired control panel. I disable the garage remotes when I get home then my wife enables them when she leaves in the morning (part of the reason I'm looking for a different solution, she's not happy we're having to do this work around to accommodate my stored car). She gets less and less happy with the situation each time she has to get out of the car to unlock the remote lockout because she forgot to do it in the rush to get the kids to school in the morning. Also, using the remote lockout (vacation function?) is ok most of the time but there are times when the GS is home and I'm not so it isn't 100%.

I think for the most part I'd be ok with just using the front door but my wife is not. She feels it is a hassle to not be able to use the garage door remotely especially if she has groceries, kids want to ride bikes, etc. I don't want to sell my stored car which is why I'm hoping there is some way to disable the homelink in the vehicle without resorting to erasing the programming. I wish the homelink in the Lexus was the same as in a BMW. That would solve my problem.
Why do you need to disable it? In the event someone breaks into the car while it's outside of the garage?
Old 01-24-17, 11:44 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
Why do you need to disable it? In the event someone breaks into the car while it's outside of the garage?
Yes. If they got in they would also have access to my house. It just feels like leaving the house keys sitting in plain view in front of the house.
Old 01-24-17, 12:38 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Yes. If they got in they would also have access to my house. It just feels like leaving the house keys sitting in plain view in front of the house.
I see. I have never worried about that before. It's a valid concern though. Have you checked to see if the buttons are operational when the car is locked? Try locking the car with a window open and reaching in and pressing the button.
Old 01-24-17, 01:04 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
I see. I have never worried about that before. It's a valid concern though. Have you checked to see if the buttons are operational when the car is locked? Try locking the car with a window open and reaching in and pressing the button.
Yep, still works even after the alarm has armed. It looks like its hard wired to be hot all the time versus in German cars where the homelink is off when the car if off.
Old 01-24-17, 01:08 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Get this and install it. Very easy to do and you can control your garage door with your phone from anywhere. You also receive notifications when the door is opened or closed so if it opens in the middle of the day when not expecting it to, you know something is up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/chamberl...?skuId=1764006

I have them on both my garage doors and really like it. I dont even have my third car garage door programmed on my homelink on my GS350. No need to.
Old 01-24-17, 01:40 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Get this and install it. Very easy to do and you can control your garage door with your phone from anywhere. You also receive notifications when the door is opened or closed so if it opens in the middle of the day when not expecting it to, you know something is up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/chamberl...?skuId=1764006

I have them on both my garage doors and really like it. I dont even have my third car garage door programmed on my homelink on my GS350. No need to.
I have the MyQ garage controller and it's excellent. But to take out your phone every time you pull up to open the garage door might be a bit annoying. And the peace of mind knowing that your phone will be alerted if the door is opened might not be enough.

I always leave the interior garage door locked with a hidden key in the garage in the event we enter the house through the garage. Everything in the garage is fair game though if they do open it haha.
Old 01-24-17, 09:03 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lock the door to your house, from the garage? I get your point, but do you live in a particularly bad area? Most likely if somebody breaks into your car, they're doing it for the car or its contents. I wouldn't claim to know the criminal mind, but it seems ballsy to first break into the car, likely causing an alarm in the street, then open the house & rummage its contents. Is the car the getaway vehicle?

I digress....

Hopefully other solutions proposed are helpful! While I find it nice to have HomeLink active even with the car off (my car is in the garage) I agree it's much more secure to at least require the key is in proximity, if not the car on.
Old 01-24-17, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is one area i don't entirely understand lexus. why is the homelink system always powered? that's quite dangerous. that's why when i had my 2015 (parked outside) i never used the homelink. bmw and mb their system is disabled when the car is shut off
Old 01-25-17, 05:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

If I was as concerned as you are about this, I would probably just forget using Homelink and use the remote that came with the opener when needed.

Quick Reply: Homelink question