GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer Scratched Car During Service

Old 01-23-17, 05:48 AM
ravig292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Scratched Car During Service

Hey guys thought I'd share what happened to me during my 2016 GS350 F-Sport's first complimentary 5k service. Somehow they did a long deep scratch along the top panel next the rear windshield and another samller one in the in front fender near the hood in line with rear scratch. I noticed it when I got home and was furious because I knew for a fact before I took it in, that those were definately not there. I called the my service rep and he informed me to bring it in. Which the dealer I go to is 30 minutes from my house... Anyways, I get there and he inspects the scratched areas and even he was shocked but wasnt sure how it could have happened during service. I asked for the name of the service person that worked on my car to speak with him but he wouldnt tell me that. The rep did apologize and offer to fix it at the collision center they use. I dropped the car off last Thursday and was given a loaner. Car was gonna be ready the bext day but since i have USB 2.0, its taking more time for them to paint and blend it in with rest of car, which is fine with me cause I dont want them rushing the job and messing up. Hopefully should be ready today and I'll be able to pick it up tonight. I'm a little angry about this happening but I'm glad they are making things right by fixing it. Just thought that I'd share this bad service experience I had with you guys. Will keep you guys posted when I get the car back and how good the job is.
Rear Panel

Fender
Old 01-23-17, 06:10 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Holy crap! That looks like they dragged an aluminum ladder down the side of the car....Wtf.

I hate that when I drop my car off to service, some 16 year old kid walks around it, gets in and drives off to the back with it. I won't let my own 16 year old kid drive my car. I recently had a tear in the drivers door leather siding after a service and much the same, called the dealer and the did a complimentary repair, but wth...do I have to do a walk around with them prior to my dropping it off form now on? Walk with it while its being pulled into a bay? Sit and watch the tech as he works on it? This is ridiculous...
Old 01-23-17, 08:30 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

That damage looks like it likely happened elsewhere, rather than at the dealership or during service. Accidental damage on both sides of the car! I seriously doubt it...

It looks like either unintentional damage that was caused by someone's carelessness in transporting something awkward, or intentional damage caused by an act of vandalism.
Old 01-23-17, 08:47 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Geez, sorry to hear this happened. I had a similar thing happen when I left my 05 LS with the shop to have the front bumper cover replaced. I went to pick up the car a few days later and the driver's door had 20-30 short vertical scratches on it, right above the molding line, all in a row. Service writer had no idea how it happened, paint guys had no idea, but we all agreed it was not like that when I brought the car in. They made it right, and did a fine job of blending the paint.

It just sucks that these things happen.
Old 01-23-17, 08:54 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, good thing you took it right back to them as soon as you saw it. Hope the repaired paint looks good as new!

I noticed a cracked side skirt on the rear right after I took my car in for my 3rd service, but ultimately felt it was not a big of a deal to return to the dealership. I regret not going back to the dealership ASAP when I noticed it, because they would've checked the security cameras to see which technician damaged it, and fixed the side skirt for me.
Old 01-23-17, 09:38 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Sshsshhh that don't look good, getting almost a new car repainted I would be seriously pissed off. This doesn't look a easy color to match so before picking it up make sure it matches the rest of the car. Gud luck.
Old 01-23-17, 10:47 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

Sucks that it happened - Glad to hear that the dealership is fixing it. I wouldn't trust any of the NYC dealerships with my car but I may be more willing to deal with the dealerships in NJ and upstate NY.

At which dealership did this happen?
Old 01-23-17, 11:08 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Did they offer your car a "free" wash during the service?

Since both spots are right along the edge of the glass, my guess is they used a worn out squeegee and in an attempt to get it flush with the glass, they pressed it right up against the edges, and the metal part on the squeegee is what scratched the paint... although that looks like the paint was stripped to bare metal, hard to imagine someone would put so much force to clean glass.

Old 01-23-17, 11:37 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you ask for a detail? Buffing wheel with exposed metal maybe?
Old 01-23-17, 11:47 AM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Ouch, those are deep. Down to the metal. Word of advice, be super **** about the paintwork when you get it back. My local Lexus dealer uses a really ****ty body company and I'd have a hard time trusting them. If you notice anything wrong with the blend, take it back. Good luck!
Old 01-23-17, 01:07 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I always review my vehicle at the dealership/mechanic with a rep/mechanic when I take possession of my vehicle. They could have easily said that didn't happen at our dealership and you would have a hell of a time proving it. Scratches that big on that blue color I would've have spotted in an instant personally even without a full car review. You should have saw that when getting into car...
Old 01-23-17, 08:51 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Does that dealership have an automatic car wash? My guess is that the scratches happened in the car wash.
Old 01-24-17, 09:12 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I always tell them to look at the car before they do any maintenance on it and see that there is no damage. Once I get it back I inspect it thoroughly again for any damage before I leave. I never let them wash it.
Old 01-24-17, 01:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Well, how did all the deep scratch repair and re-paint/blend turn out for you?
Old 01-24-17, 06:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

next time, put a note: "do not wash"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Scratched Car During Service