Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock HU/ 12 Disc CD changer repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 01:00 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stock HU/ 12 Disc CD changer repair

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my experience with fixing my HU and CD changer. My initial posts were asking for help but I kept plugging away and resolved the issues and found my problems for the most part.

I'll share my discoveries on what I found to hopefully help others who may run into similar issues.

**Tech Info**

***HOW TO BENCH TEST***
This is specifically for the Pioneer HU, but you can use the same procedure for the NAK i'm sure just find the right pins.

Apply 12V to A3/A4 and ground to A11
Short B2/B3 with a small piece of wire for a second and that should turn on the unit (like you pressed the power button)

Issue #2

HU would not turn on after previously working fine, checked all Fuses in the car.

Setup up bench test, but remove the power supply section and test specifically that 12V+ is making it to all the ribbon cables connections. After several frustrating hours and no knowledge as a EE I was able to figure out that there are on board fuses that protect the HU. Most people would send out the HU for repair at some retardedly expensive price or trash it. All you'll need is a 6.3AMP inline fuse. Turns out this was my problem here as I wasn't getting +12V to the large ribbon cable testing with my volt meter. Turns out it's the FU401 or "SOC 6.3A" is an inline fuse. Once this blew the whole HU wouldn't power on obviously. Knowing that I shorted and blew the fuse dicking around with the changer I felt safe to bypass the fuse with a piece of wire to test. Sure enough, everything worked so for those who have issues with the HU simply not powering on at all, I'd start here.

Issue #2

CD changer would not load or recognize discs that were inserted and ended up killing the battery because it simply used power all night trying to fix itself.I believe greasing all the gears helps ensure all the mechanical mechanisms in this changer (which is EXTREMELY complex for something so trivial) is a good start.

I was able to figure out that if you jump A3/A4 on the changer plug and A8/A9 you will be able to bench test the changer. You will need to hold the door switch down to ensure operation of the unit and also press the cartridge detection switch on the loading platform.This will allow the unit to activate while on the bench and you can see if there are any mechanical jams or alignment issues.The laser can be adjusted I'm sure, but since mine didn't have a problem I didn't bother. Generally, to adjust a laser on a CD there is a little POT switch, what you need to do is adjust that pot while you have a CD in there and trying to read. You'll know when you got it right as the CD will start to read correctly instead of scanning around.

If anyone knows what the pot swiches do at the bottem of the changer and the jumper switches I'm all ears! I suspect they have something to do with the alignment of the changer for loading and unloading discs and maybe even the laser adjustment. However, I'm not an EE and I have no clue!

For the AUX mod found here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...n-your-sc.html

I opted to do things a little different. Since I want to attach a blue tooth receiver and have it hidden (or in my case AirEnabler) I opted to use a computer fan 3 pin connector with dual outputs. This will allow me to use 2 Aux cables. One that will go on the front of the Lexus HU for easy playing of music from devices. The second will be at the back of the HU hidden in the dash with my AirEnabler or Bluetooth AD2P adapter.

This AD2P adapter works great for me in my other car and more importantly it also acts as a hands free mic and since the AUX is so conviently placed it works well!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XMV05G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the most imporant peice of the puzzle that allowed me to get here was posted here!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-system-2.html

I didn't trust the EXE's becuase I wasn't sure if they were virus's. Turns out they are fine, and I needed to boot up windows XP to load the files. Windows 10 just crashed when I tried to run. For what it's worth here are the pictures from the Pioneer HU.

Last edited by zazzn; 01-23-17 at 03:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zazzn:
gerrb (01-23-17), StoneBeige (10-05-18)
Old 01-23-17, 02:11 AM
zazzn
Instructor

figured it out as you can see in the post above.

Last edited by zazzn; 01-23-17 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-23-17, 08:17 AM
tsmith1315
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info and interpretations!

Was lubrication your CD changer issue after all? And how do you like that bench supply?

-Tim
Old 01-23-17, 08:37 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

This will help a lot of people . CD Changer is usually the first to fail on the stock Radio System.
Old 01-23-17, 10:45 PM
zazzn
Instructor

I started using silicon grease spray, but that was going everywhere so I switched to all-purpose grease in a tube. Found it at the carquest.If your really want the name let me know and I'll go back outside and get it. I think it was Sly-Grease or soemthing.

So here's the repair

And finally my AUX cable install.

I have one on the front and one on the back. So if I decide to hide a blue tooth receiver in the back of the car.

Last edited by zazzn; 01-24-17 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-28-18, 11:41 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Just an update, all is working great! Tape deck doesn't like the resistance and I think some of the parts are starting to get too old and fail but it's working well enough still. So aux is working great for the most part.

I got a TaoTronic BR-03 which is a Bluetooth adapter that plays music to the aux port and routes my phone calls with the inbuilt mic. (best quality mic and sound quality I found yet) doesn't have any line noise without a filter.

Back at the changer as it's finicky. I don't know how to adjust the laser anymore and I'm out of my depth on that.
Old 10-05-18, 08:26 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the laser is adjusted with a pot on the laser ribbon itself, located mm's from the laser itself. dont touch any of those pots on the bottom PCB without marking them with an exacto knife blade scratched across the pot and the frame, a sharpie is not fine enough. The laser pot is difficult to get to, you may see it through the corner of the unit. Dont move it more than 1/4 turn CCW, just turn it a few degrees and try to read a disk. Also while your at it see if it will read a burned CD while your adjusting the laser output. Burned CD's are usually 5-8db lower than a pressed CD.
Old 10-10-18, 05:03 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Thanks for the post! Exactly what I'm looking for. It's currently playing but has trouble with burned CDS, and basically is bearly able to read.