GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

The rarest GS F in the US

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 10:24 PM
ultrachrom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The rarest GS F in the US

Browsing listings online and noticed something different about these two cars. I recall the dash trim on the Canadian versions being more attractive than the carbon IMO. Looked at the Carfax and bingo, Canadian imports. Odd no?

http://www.hgreglux.com/used/Lexus/2...84bb12f59a.htm

http://www.hgreglux.com/used/Lexus/2...84139aad86.htm
Old 01-22-17, 09:08 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrachrom
Browsing listings online and noticed something different about these two cars. I recall the dash trim on the Canadian versions being more attractive than the carbon IMO. Looked at the Carfax and bingo, Canadian imports. Odd no?

http://www.hgreglux.com/used/Lexus/2...84bb12f59a.htm

http://www.hgreglux.com/used/Lexus/2...84139aad86.htm

Good Catch...Both GS Fs at this dealer seemed to be Canadian Spec (Fully Loaded) with options like Heated Steering Wheel, Rear side window privacy Shades, 3 way Climate control, Audio Controls in the rear and i am assuming this will have power trunk as well.

Wondering how difficult will it be to transplant some of these items into US Spec'ed GS F.
Old 01-22-17, 09:32 AM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Good Catch...Both GS Fs at this dealer seemed to be Canadian Spec (Fully Loaded) with options like Heated Steering Wheel, Rear side window privacy Shades, 3 way Climate control, Audio Controls in the rear and i am assuming this will have power trunk as well.

Wondering how difficult will it be to transplant some of these items into US Spec'ed GS F.
I can live without the rear privacy shades and the power trunk, rear climate/audio controls are a nice to have... but man i wish i had that heated steering wheel, especially when it's only a $150 option to add on the regular GS...

Last edited by danwlee; 01-22-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-22-17, 10:04 AM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't begin to understand why the US can't get the powered trunk or powered rear center console controls that Canada has in their GS F. Germany gets a powered trunk in this review that I watched (@ 12:59),

.I understand they are convenience features, but I don't understand why we can't get them in the US or why they are not offered?
Old 01-22-17, 04:43 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Man, that interior has A LOT going on, and no real flow to it at all. What happened to sculpted and simple? There's ledges and angles and ***** everywhere.
Old 01-23-17, 11:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022

The motor and switch for the power trunk is a little over $1k for parts alone. This assumes the wiring harness will support this.

The heated steering wheel is $1k all by itself with another $140 or so for the switch to support the functionality.

Pretty safe to say, all the premium features will be pretty pricey unless you find them at a junk yard from a lesser model. Even then, it won't be guaranteed they'll work because the wiring harness needs to support it too. The North American version wiring harness has its own part number and is not shared with other global markets, so it's anyone's guess if it will plug and play or not.
The following users liked this post:
Stormryu (01-23-17)
Old 01-23-17, 11:51 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

$64,900? damn that is a good price..

makes me wants to consider trading the RC-F for one..
Old 01-23-17, 02:14 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Thanks for the info, any guess as to why we don't get these features standard (like Canada or Germany seem to) or as an option? To me they look like regular convenience features any manufacturer would offer today on most models (especially their more luxurious models). Or can you request a dealer to install these features when you're going to buy the car?
Old 01-23-17, 05:52 PM
ultrachrom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just wondering how and why are they selling Canadian spec cars in FL. Is this common? I wonder if they were demo cars.
Old 01-23-17, 06:46 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I do not know guys but the interior trim is not doing it for me. Looks a bit too subtle and LS-ish in my opinion. Maybe it is because I came from an ISF and I really like the updated carbon trim that was carried over into the GSF. As far as the other interior options, it would have been nice to have the option to choose being they are available outside the US but they are/were not show-stoppers for me.
Old 01-23-17, 07:10 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

There's just so much going with the interior. It seems like more is better is the current axiom with most interiors. I loved the simplicity of the 350Zs interior that we had many cars ago: a radio and then three ***** with two buttons inside of each ****. That was it.

Or the original iPod shuffle, a genius of engineering: one round button with up/down, left/right buttons that did everything.

I had a G37 sedan loaner once and there was 7different ways to change the radio station!

Sadly, I do realize that that technology is selling cars these days.....
Old 01-23-17, 07:13 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Originally Posted by ultrachrom
I'm just wondering how and why are they selling Canadian spec cars in FL. Is this common? I wonder if they were demo cars.
I'm wondering why as well. We all know you can buy cars in Canada and bring them across the boarder (Depending on where you shop/What car you are buying, I've read some people save quite a bit of money $2k-$7k, even after paying import taxes and such on their cars). So I wouldn't be surprised if the case was one of those people moved to states with the car or bought it and imported it. But it is interesting to see two of them at one american dealer.
Old 01-23-17, 07:24 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jz39
I loved the simplicity of the 350Zs interior that we had many cars ago: a radio and then three ***** with two buttons inside of each ****. That was it.

Or the original iPod shuffle, a genius of engineering: one round button with up/down, left/right buttons that did everything.

I had a G37 sedan loaner once and there was 7different ways to change the radio station!

Sadly, I do realize that that technology is selling cars these days.....
As time goes forward, technology becomes more dominant. With each generation of people being born the demand grows higher. Whether it be for safety standards (Auto breaking, lane keep assist, 360 degree cameras) or for convenience (Radio controls, Car interfaces, Built In Wi-Fi, Heads up displays, etc).

I do like the new tech in cars for the most part (i'm a techy), but I can also appreciate a simply laid out car in terms of its interior layout like the one the 350z had/has. I do prefer regular ***** vs hap-tic feedback sliders.
Old 01-23-17, 07:46 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormryu
I'm wondering why as well. We all know you can buy cars in Canada and bring them across the boarder (Depending on where you shop/What car you are buying, I've read some people save quite a bit of money $2k-$7k, even after paying import taxes and such on their cars). So I wouldn't be surprised if the case was one of those people moved to states with the car or bought it and imported it. But it is interesting to see two of them at one american dealer.

i'm sure they're demo cars by looking at both carfaxes.
Old 01-24-17, 04:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yea I saw this and called them before, there family owns a business in Canada and they brought the cars over when there were no used GS-F's I would buy it but I really cant deal with the odometer and since that can't be changed for some reason that's a deal breaker but I love the extra features that Canada gets for the GS-F, also technically that is carbon fiber its just the reinforced carbon fiber polymer.

Last edited by bigblack06; 01-24-17 at 04:08 AM.

Quick Reply: The rarest GS F in the US