Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick to introduce Avenir as a Luxury Sub-Brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Buick to introduce Avenir as a Luxury Sub-Brand

Unlike with Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti, when they got started in the late 80s and early 90s, Genesis just last year, (and what Amati might have been if Ford ownership had allowed Mazda to launch it), here's something we something we haven't seen for a long time....a new American-brand luxury division, although Buick actually terms it more of a "sub-brand" within Buick itself. Buick now plans to launch Avenir as a new luxury-grade sub-brand, not just a concept-car that toured auto shows.

Frankly, I think this is great news. For decades, I've wanted to see the likes of Buick's classic Electras, Rivieras, and Wildcats come back (for those of you who can remember them). The Park Avenue, Park Avenue Ultra, Lucerne, and newer versions of the LeSabre (before they were all dropped) date back to before the GM buyout/reorganization in 2009 (when the design and quality of most of their products vastly improved)....and, though comfortable-riding, they were cheaply designed and built, with crap-grade rental interiors (even the Park Avenue was not very impressive inside). That is not the case with most of today's Buicks, especially the ones derived from Opels....and Buick's overall #3 reliability rating with Consumer Reports (trailing only Toyota and Lexus) is further evidence of that. Anyhow, the Avenir, IMO, takes a big step towards restoring Buick's former classic full-size cars. (I had a used Electra when I was in college in the early 70s, and never forgot it.......for my purposes, it was a joy to drive).

(I just hope they don't stick GM's E-shifter in the Avenir, though...like the one in the new LaCrosse and XT5. That unit, IMO, like some of the ones in BMW and Mercedes products I've tried, is a PITA).

http://autonationdrive.com/first-loo...ury-sub-brand/

General Motors is launching the Avenir under the Buick division. What some are calling the ”brand-within-a-brand,” the Avenir is clearly another sign that General Motors is seeing brighter days now that they’ve left their bankruptcy far behind and are prepared to further strengthen their global position with the Buick Avenir Luxury Sub-Brand.

And critical to their continued march forward is the Avenir. Vice President of Global Buick Sales, Duncan Aldred said, “The Avenir is key to future growth and delivering on the high expectations of new customers coming to our showrooms.”

Avenir, the Denali of Buick
The Avenir first won the hearts of loyal Buick fans when it debuted as a concept car in 2015 at the North American Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit. As far as releasing the Buick Avenir luxury sub-brand as its own car (in production), it looks like it will go in a different direction, with GM making it available as a trim level for 2018 Buicks. The Avenir is being marketed in the same class as the GMC Denali.

Avenir is to Buick what Infiniti is to Nissan and Acura is to Honda.

The insider’s scoop: the Avenir is big in China. The Chinese have a taste for high end luxury and have developed a taste for Buick, in particular.

Buick recently made the following statement in a press release: “Across continents, a growing set of new customers are discovering unexpected and attainable luxury experiences from Buick. Soon, those customers will be introduced to a new Avenir sub-brand designed to grow with the needs of future luxury buyers. The Avenir sub-brand is inspired by Buick’s evolving customer base.”

The Avenir is Buick’s ultimate luxury trim level.

What are some of the hallmarks of distinction we can expect, specifically, from the Buick Avenir luxury sub-brand?

The Buick Avenir trim will be synonymous with inspired sculpted designs, 3D mesh grilles, large-diameter wheels, a quiet purring engine, unique trim finishes and a unique interior fitting of a high-end luxury vehicle. Naturally, there will be Avenir badges throughout.

Additional Avenir details and product specifications are forthcoming.

In closing remarks, Duncan Aldred said, “Avenir will be Buick’s signature, the highest expression of the luxury experiences where delivering now and in the future.”

If you want to get a feel for what the Buick Avenir luxury sub-brand vibe is like, the 2017 Buick LaCrosse is said to borrow from the Avenir, which has been a breath of fresh air on the recently revived model. Featuring “Avenir-inspired sheet metal,” and with a similar lower fascia and headlights. The similarities don’t stop there – the LaCrosse is said to have the same winged trishield.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 07:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As if Cadillac wasn't fail enough.
Old 01-19-17, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Caddy's problem is they made several of their newer vehicles too sport-oriented, even in some of the non-V versions. BMW and Audi already had that market cornered, and Cadillac's core customers simply aren't what could be considered sport-enthusiasts.....they like a nice, sedate, relaxing ride. Buick, hopefully, with the Avenir, will avoid that problem....as Lincoln wisely did with the new Continental.
Old 01-19-17, 07:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So in a nutshell: Avenir is to Buick as Denali is to GMC
Old 01-19-17, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Close, but I think a little more like what Genesis is to Hyundai....a separate upscale line, but (for now, at least) sold out of the same dealerships.

Anyhow, I'll be at the D.C. Auto Show late next week, if my knees and back hold up (got my usual round of free show-passes). I hope to find out more about it there....and what, if anything, Buick plans to do to placate those potential buyers who were interested in 2017 Veranos and can't get them in the U.S. because they are now relegated to the Chinese market. My guess is that the Buick reps will just point them to the Regal......at a substantially higher price, for what IMO is not much more car, except for the AWD option that the Verano lacked.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-17 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 08:28 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
This is a fair point because in theory, "Avenir" trim Buick sedans would encroach on the pricing of the ATS and a new sub-ATS car which I think is in the works. However I just don't see the two brands being cross-shopped much. GM may as well give this a shot if they see a market for it.
Old 01-19-17, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
This is a fair point because in theory, "Avenir" trim Buick sedans would encroach on the pricing of the ATS and a new sub-ATS car which I think is in the works. However I just don't see the two brands being cross-shopped much. GM may as well give this a shot if they see a market for it.
No.....definitely not. There wouldn't be any ATS overlap at all from the Avenir.....except maybe for the high-performance ATS-V. Cadillac's ATS models start in the mid-30s, square in Buick Regal territory. You can bet the farm that Avenir models will start quite a bit higher than that......probably closer to the Cadillac CT6 sedan flagship. My guess is around 50K....but I will try and find out at the D.C. auto show next week.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 10:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So is there actually any new product associated with Avenir??? I'm thinking if they're comparing it to a GMC Denali, its just a way for GM to put more frosting on existing and already planned upcoming Buick products and sell them at a higher transaction price. I will say that I do like the Yukon Denali and Sierra Denali(1/2 ton model), because it isn't just frosting on those trucks, they actually come with a bigger engine and full time 4wd, its the same engine and drivetrain as a Cadillac Escalade.

If Buick wants to do something like that with its Avenir line, ie same car but substantial changes like different engines, then I'm all for it. Just don't do something like the Acadia Denali, which is put fancy wheels and that big chrome grill on it and charge $5-10k more for the same car.
Old 01-19-17, 10:50 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

For the love of <deity>, why?

Nissan still doesn't know what to do with Infiniti, Acura is as good as dead, and Lexus is the only Japanese offshoot brand to have succeeded in competing against the luxury German brands. I don't see how Buick could do the same when there's already Cadillac under the GM umbrella. This is like VW's Phaeton moment all over again.

As for the Chinese market, Buicks already sell well based on their premium image. About the only offshoot brand I've seen that's succeeded there in recent years in Citroen's DS lineup - the Citroen brand is used on cheaper sedans while crossovers, coupes and larger sedans get the DS badge, with different dealers for both brands.
Old 01-19-17, 11:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Avenir is Buick’s ultimate luxury trim level.
this confused me.

Sub-brand it is. This is kind of an evil genius plan hatched by GM. I hope they borrow heavily from the Riviera (2007/2013), Avenir (2015), and of course the stunning Avista (2016). The possibilities for 350hp+, RWD, beautiful yet commanding styling.. GM could be making a fancy Q60 Red Sport.
Old 01-19-17, 11:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

this confused me.

Sub-brand it is. This is kind of an evil genius plan hatched by GM. I hope they borrow heavily from the Riviera (2007/2013), Avenir (2015), and of course the stunning Avista (2016). The possibilities for 350hp+, RWD, beautiful yet commanding styling.. GM could be making a fancy Q60 Red Sport.
If Buick was smart they would build the Avista.
Old 01-19-17, 11:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is just a trim level to top out the price of a Buick. Works in the short term, long term not really.
Old 01-20-17, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I hope they borrow heavily from the Riviera (2007/2013), Avenir (2015), and of course the stunning Avista (2016). The possibilities for 350hp+, RWD, beautiful yet commanding styling.. GM could be making a fancy Q60 Red Sport.
Looks to me like they already have, at least to some extent. The Avenir concept (and even likely the production version) is somewhat like a four-door Riviera in its styling.
Old 01-20-17, 06:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm thinking its more this.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Close, but I think a little more like what Genesis is to Hyundai....a separate upscale line, but (for now, at least) sold out of the same dealerships.

Anyhow, I'll be at the D.C. Auto Show late next week, if my knees and back hold up (got my usual round of free show-passes). I hope to find out more about it there....and what, if anything, Buick plans to do to placate those potential buyers who were interested in 2017 Veranos and can't get them in the U.S. because they are now relegated to the Chinese market. My guess is that the Buick reps will just point them to the Regal......at a substantially higher price, for what IMO is not much more car, except for the AWD option that the Verano lacked.
I bet it ends up being closer to Denali. Genesis is now its own brand period, not a sub-brand. Maybe similar to Genesis of old.
Old 01-20-17, 06:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I read an article on this a couple of months ago and it does sound like a trim level. It's relatively low risk for the division. If it isn't successful, being a trim level, probably not too much investment went into it. If it is successful it will help to sell more cars and be profitable for the Buick division.

Quick Reply: Buick to introduce Avenir as a Luxury Sub-Brand