Sponsored by:

GS300 w/ Mark Levinson - Question about head unit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 08:20 AM
zeebish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 w/ Mark Levinson - Question about head unit replacement

I have spent quite a bit of time searching these forums, but cannot find a clear answer. Maybe I just missed it!
I have a 2001 GS300 with Mark Levinson stereo. I want to replace the head unit with a more modern double-DIN stereo. Is it possible to replace only that part and keep the existing ML amp(s) and speakers? Perhaps new speakers sound better, but I'm happy enough with the sound as is and I'm trying to keep the costs down. I already repaired a blown speaker cone on the subwoofer. The repair kit from Simplyspeakers.com worked great.

I checked Crutchfield and that site said that no adaptive wiring harness is available and a head unit replacement would require new direct wiring to each speaker.
Also, is there any kind of schematic available for my setup? I'm not even clear how many speakers or amps I currently have. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Zeebish
Old 01-20-17, 04:18 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zeebish
I have spent quite a bit of time searching these forums, but cannot find a clear answer. Maybe I just missed it!
I have a 2001 GS300 with Mark Levinson stereo. I want to replace the head unit with a more modern double-DIN stereo. Is it possible to replace only that part and keep the existing ML amp(s) and speakers? Perhaps new speakers sound better, but I'm happy enough with the sound as is and I'm trying to keep the costs down. I already repaired a blown speaker cone on the subwoofer. The repair kit from Simplyspeakers.com worked great.

I checked Crutchfield and that site said that no adaptive wiring harness is available and a head unit replacement would require new direct wiring to each speaker.
Also, is there any kind of schematic available for my setup? I'm not even clear how many speakers or amps I currently have. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Zeebish
AFAIK a lot of the Mark Levinson components are proprietary and they do not play well or even at all with non-ML components.
Old 03-18-17, 12:39 PM
canamrotax
Driver School Candidate

Looking at the wiring diagram, the signals from the head unit are just L and R, no front, rear. That is digital fader,and the adapter is quite expensive. If you just dump the factory amp, you only loose the center speaker and subwoofer. Then you can add a mono sub amp if you really want to keep the factory sub, but I would go to a real sub and box. The difference is remarkable.
Old 03-18-17, 02:52 PM
zeebish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by canamrotax
Looking at the wiring diagram, the signals from the head unit are just L and R, no front, rear. That is digital fader,and the adapter is quite expensive. If you just dump the factory amp, you only loose the center speaker and subwoofer. Then you can add a mono sub amp if you really want to keep the factory sub, but I would go to a real sub and box. The difference is remarkable.
Canamrotax - This wiring diagram you speak of...that's one thing I don't have. Can you post here or PM me? Many thanks in advance.
Zeebish